HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please! - Setup

This is a discussion on HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please! - Setup ; Hello, I recently installed linux freespire (after seriously wanting to try linux and get rid off windows (m$$$$$oft).. I have two HDD. One is a WD Protege 40gb, and the other is an old IBM 12 gb or so. When ...

  1. HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    Hello,

    I recently installed linux freespire (after seriously wanting to try
    linux and get rid off windows (m$$$$$oft).. I have two HDD. One is a WD
    Protege 40gb, and the other is an old IBM 12 gb or so.

    When I ran linx from the cd everything seemed fine, and i thought next
    day, I am getting rid of windows (Vista release candidate .. so it was
    ok to risk it!) and installing freespire.

    Anyways,,

    Now I have a problem. My WD Protege HDD is not recognized! Not in
    windows, not in linux..
    I checked the bios (pressing f2 after restarting) and it wouldn't show.
    I can hear it working after I opened the desktop but still no sign of
    it!
    I am almost sure that the problem has to do with formatting the disk
    when I installed the OS (cos I didnt format the IBM 12gb one).

    Can anyone give advice on how to fix the problem?

    Thank you!!

  2. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    nj wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently installed linux freespire (after seriously wanting to try
    > linux and get rid off windows (m$$$$$oft).. I have two HDD. One is a WD
    > Protege 40gb, and the other is an old IBM 12 gb or so.
    >
    > When I ran linx from the cd everything seemed fine, and i thought next
    > day, I am getting rid of windows (Vista release candidate .. so it was
    > ok to risk it!) and installing freespire.
    >
    > Anyways,,
    >
    > Now I have a problem. My WD Protege HDD is not recognized! Not in
    > windows, not in linux..
    > I checked the bios (pressing f2 after restarting) and it wouldn't show.
    > I can hear it working after I opened the desktop but still no sign of
    > it!
    > I am almost sure that the problem has to do with formatting the disk
    > when I installed the OS (cos I didnt format the IBM 12gb one).
    >
    > Can anyone give advice on how to fix the problem?

    There are some really smart people here, but no mind-readers. Help
    them help you by providing some details:

    Where are the two drives connected? Are they master and slave on
    the first IDE port or what?

    Is the "missing" 40gB drive master or slave?

    Which drive has Windows?

    Which drive was being formatted for Linux?

  3. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    Thanks to Roby and bill.
    The WD 40 Gb is master and the IBM 12gb is slave on the same ide port
    with one cable connecting them.

    I had Windows on the 40Gb, and then formatted it when I installed the
    new OS. I can't remember 100% but i think it was a FAT32 format. The
    IBM was formatted too but everything went ok.

    I did not change the HDD pin configuration (Should I?) and they are on
    the same IDE. By the way, I tried them separately, and only the IBM
    12gb is recognized. The WD 40gb didn't respond at all.

    The relationship with linux didn't start well!
    Is the HDD in a persistent vegetative state? :-D

    Thanks again!

  4. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    nj did eloquently scribble:
    > The relationship with linux didn't start well!
    > Is the HDD in a persistent vegetative state? :-D

    Try connecting it on the channel by itself to see if the bios picks it up.
    If it doesn't, try it on the other channel, if it still doesn't...
    Try doing the "1 inch drop". (it's possible it's not responding because the
    hard drive head is stuck. Dropping the drive from the height of 1 inch onto a
    hard surface is usually enough to jar the drive head free but isn't enough
    to cause damage (it must be done when unpowered of course).

    If it still doesn't respond, it looks like it's died.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  5. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    nj wrote:

    > Thanks to Roby and bill.
    > The WD 40 Gb is master and the IBM 12gb is slave on the same ide port
    > with one cable connecting them.
    >
    > I had Windows on the 40Gb, and then formatted it when I installed the
    > new OS. I can't remember 100% but i think it was a FAT32 format. The
    > IBM was formatted too but everything went ok.
    >
    > I did not change the HDD pin configuration (Should I?) and they are on
    > the same IDE. By the way, I tried them separately, and only the IBM
    > 12gb is recognized. The WD 40gb didn't respond at all.
    >
    > The relationship with linux didn't start well!
    > Is the HDD in a persistent vegetative state? :-D

    If you didn't change ribbon cable or drive jumpers at all, I guess
    I agree with Spike that the drive may have gone to HD heaven. Linux
    didn't break it: a full format with any O/S will move the heads over
    the whole disk. Maybe you landed in a sticky spot. In any case,
    the first step is to get the BIOS to see the drive. That has nothing
    to do with what format is there. Start with the minimum setup: just
    the 40gB drive, jumpered "single" and connected to the end of the
    ribbon cable ... and be sure you and the BIOS agree on which IDE
    channel (ie, m/b connector) is used. Thump it when all else fails.
    If that "fixes" it, ask yourself whether you want to do this again
    later.

    Bill: I've been fiddling with hard drives for eons ... occasionally
    tried cable select ... sometimes it worked. Sorta. I didn't know
    there was a cable select ribbon cable. Now I do. Thanks!

    Roby

  6. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    well Gents, first of all thanks again.
    I guess the HDD is gone to hd heaven (or hell). I have been looking for
    answers for the last two days, and honestly all i can conclude is that
    WD and Maxtor are not worth it! They mention on their sites the support
    for Windows, surprisingly (and I pay for it) not linux! I am still
    adamant on taking on linux and learning how to use it.
    I have SUse and freespire in front of me, and well i'll need another
    HDD because IBM 12gb is of small volume!
    Any ideas anyone if that makes sense? How about the hdds supporting
    linux?

    ty

    Roby wrote:
    > nj wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to Roby and bill.
    > > The WD 40 Gb is master and the IBM 12gb is slave on the same ide port
    > > with one cable connecting them.
    > >
    > > I had Windows on the 40Gb, and then formatted it when I installed the
    > > new OS. I can't remember 100% but i think it was a FAT32 format. The
    > > IBM was formatted too but everything went ok.
    > >
    > > I did not change the HDD pin configuration (Should I?) and they are on
    > > the same IDE. By the way, I tried them separately, and only the IBM
    > > 12gb is recognized. The WD 40gb didn't respond at all.
    > >
    > > The relationship with linux didn't start well!
    > > Is the HDD in a persistent vegetative state? :-D

    > If you didn't change ribbon cable or drive jumpers at all, I guess
    > I agree with Spike that the drive may have gone to HD heaven. Linux
    > didn't break it: a full format with any O/S will move the heads over
    > the whole disk. Maybe you landed in a sticky spot. In any case,
    > the first step is to get the BIOS to see the drive. That has nothing
    > to do with what format is there. Start with the minimum setup: just
    > the 40gB drive, jumpered "single" and connected to the end of the
    > ribbon cable ... and be sure you and the BIOS agree on which IDE
    > channel (ie, m/b connector) is used. Thump it when all else fails.
    > If that "fixes" it, ask yourself whether you want to do this again
    > later.
    >
    > Bill: I've been fiddling with hard drives for eons ... occasionally
    > tried cable select ... sometimes it worked. Sorta. I didn't know
    > there was a cable select ribbon cable. Now I do. Thanks!
    >
    > Roby

  7. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Adviceplease!

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:37:39 -0800, nj wrote:

    > well Gents, first of all thanks again.
    > I guess the HDD is gone to hd heaven (or hell). I have been looking for
    > answers for the last two days, and honestly all i can conclude is that
    > WD and Maxtor are not worth it! They mention on their sites the support
    > for Windows, surprisingly (and I pay for it) not linux! I am still
    > adamant on taking on linux and learning how to use it.
    > I have SUse and freespire in front of me, and well i'll need another
    > HDD because IBM 12gb is of small volume!
    > Any ideas anyone if that makes sense? How about the hdds supporting
    > linux?

    Any hard drive will support Linux, as an OS. Seagate is a good bet these
    days, as they are high quality, and come with a five year warranty. Look
    for specials. I got a 200GB for US $30.00, and a 300GB for $80.00. Hitachi
    drives have a three year warranty, and I got a 160GB free, with the
    purchase of an ADS USB external drive case, for $60.00. The ADS case will
    accept any 3.5 in. ATA drive, so it's infinitely upgradeable, and works
    great with Linux.

    The above drives were all from CompUSA. Not knowing where you are, I don't
    know if that's helpful, but bargains are where you find them, so do a
    little looking first.

    HTH

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  8. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    nj did eloquently scribble:
    > well Gents, first of all thanks again.
    > I guess the HDD is gone to hd heaven (or hell). I have been looking for
    > answers for the last two days, and honestly all i can conclude is that
    > WD and Maxtor are not worth it! They mention on their sites the support
    > for Windows, surprisingly (and I pay for it) not linux! I am still
    > adamant on taking on linux and learning how to use it.
    > I have SUse and freespire in front of me, and well i'll need another
    > HDD because IBM 12gb is of small volume!
    > Any ideas anyone if that makes sense? How about the hdds supporting
    > linux?

    Hard disk drives are "data agnostic". They don't see what's on them, they
    don't care what's on them, the only restriction for operating system is the
    interface that controls them. A kernel without SCSI compiled in won't see a
    SCSI drive, and older linux kernel will have difficulty with SATA, etc.

    But as far as the disk's concerned, there IS no such thing as windows,
    linux, BeOS, MacOSX, etc. They all work the same way and all they see is a
    bunch (a heeeee-uge bunch) of 0's and 1's.

    I seems unlikely at this point, but check the website of the manufacturer.
    It might be still under warranty (unless the drive is more than a year (or
    3, or 5 depending) years old.

  9. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Adviceplease!

    nj wrote:
    > well Gents, first of all thanks again.
    > I guess the HDD is gone to hd heaven (or hell). I have been looking for
    > answers for the last two days, and honestly all i can conclude is that
    > WD and Maxtor are not worth it! They mention on their sites the support
    > for Windows, surprisingly (and I pay for it) not linux! I am still
    > adamant on taking on linux and learning how to use it.
    > I have SUse and freespire in front of me, and well i'll need another
    > HDD because IBM 12gb is of small volume!
    > Any ideas anyone if that makes sense? How about the hdds supporting
    > linux?

    As described your problem does not make a lick of sense. The BIOS is not
    affected by a linux installation period. It is not affected by any rational
    installation of anything although I guess it can be done if one is malicious
    enough.

    Cleanest thing to do is look at HD prices today and ask yourself why you have
    not upgraded. Now that the vertical drives are coming places like
    tigerdirect.com (no affiliation other than regular customer based on price)
    appear to be dumping the older drives. Drives in the 250 to 350 GB range going
    for around $100. I just got a 250GB external for $114 and have seen an internal
    350 for $99 barely three weeks later. This is a great time to buy HDs.

    The only thing to pay attention to is to reinstall Windows first. Linux will
    honor the boot record and preserve other OSs. Windows erases it and creates its
    so that there is only Windows. That is very annoying but Windows is designed to
    be very annoying.

    --
    A cakewalk to a death march in three easy neocon steps.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3722

  10. Re: HDD NOT RECOGNIZED after LINUX freespire installation, Advice please!

    nj wrote:

    > well Gents, first of all thanks again.
    > I guess the HDD is gone to hd heaven (or hell). I have been looking for
    > answers for the last two days, and honestly all i can conclude is that
    > WD and Maxtor are not worth it! They mention on their sites the support
    > for Windows, surprisingly (and I pay for it) not linux! I am still
    > adamant on taking on linux and learning how to use it.
    > I have SUse and freespire in front of me, and well i'll need another
    > HDD because IBM 12gb is of small volume!
    > Any ideas anyone if that makes sense? How about the hdds supporting
    > linux?

    I have linux running on WD and Maxtor drives. Several machines multiboot
    DOS, win2k and linux ... all from the same 8gb drive. My linux partitions
    are 3-4gb.

    Linux didn't break your HD and it isn't a support problem.

+ Reply to Thread