New Server What OS? - Setup

This is a discussion on New Server What OS? - Setup ; I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard drive in it. My only real previous experience in Linux was ...

  1. New Server What OS?

    I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard drive in it.

    My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I thought
    there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone have any
    suggestions of what kind of linux to run?

    --Ben

  2. Re: New Server What OS?

    Ben Olive wrote:

    > I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    > processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard
    > drive in it.
    >
    > My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I
    > thought there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone
    > have any suggestions of what kind of linux to run?

    Anything without a GUI, or at least without relying on a GUI.
    Slackware sounds appropriate to me.

  3. Re: New Server What OS?

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Ben Olive wrote:
    >> I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    >> processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard
    >> drive in it.
    >>
    >> My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I
    >> thought there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone
    >> have any suggestions of what kind of linux to run?

    > Anything without a GUI, or at least without relying on a GUI.
    > Slackware sounds appropriate to me.

    I built mine on debian.

    Works flawlessly once configured.

  4. Re: New Server What OS?

    Ben Olive wrote:
    > I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    > processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard drive in it.
    >
    > My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I thought
    > there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions of what kind of linux to run?

    What do you want to serve (web pages, e-mail, files, DNS, ...)?
    How much load?
    What reliability is required?

    I would suggest Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 if you must start today.
    Otherwise, they will have RHEL 5 out pretty soon.

    If you object to paying for it and getting their support, you could get
    CentOS Linux 4. I suppose they will have CentOS 5 soon after Red Hat comes
    out with theirs. CentOS Linux is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. While
    free, they accept contributions.

    ^^-^^ 12:20:01 up 81 days, 14:53, 3 users, load average: 4.24, 5.25, 5.61

  5. Re: New Server What OS?

    Depends on what you want. Do you need a GUI (fedora or anything with KDE), how
    much do you want to configure (Ubuntu vs. gentoo), is security a concern
    (trustix or OpenBSD), do you need high reliability (FreeBSD vs. Windows ME ;-),
    and what you want to do (email, web, dns, file server, router)

    David

    Ben Olive wrote:
    > I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    > processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard drive in it.
    >
    > My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I thought
    > there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions of what kind of linux to run?
    >
    > --Ben

  6. Re: New Server What OS?

    Ben Olive wrote:
    > I just got an old HP NetServer LC3. It has dual Pentium 2 400 Mhz
    > processors and 1 Gig of Ram. I plan on using an 80Gig IDE hard drive in it.
    >
    > My only real previous experience in Linux was in fedora but I thought
    > there may be a better distro for servers. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions of what kind of linux to run?
    >
    > --Ben

    Go for Ubuntu Server Editon.
    Ubuntu has a huge community on http://ubuntuforums.org

    Ubuntu Desktop guide and download links: http://www.futuredesktop.org

    // moma

  7. os2 and linux together ?

    I would like to install software in the following order:

    Bootmanager (eCS or Grub?...)
    eCS - first disc (HPFS)
    Linux (Ubuntu 6.10) - first disc (ext3?)
    Linux swap - first disc
    Comon data - first disc (FAT32)
    eCS users programs - second disc (JFS)
    eCS data - second disc (JFS)