Riddle me this - Setup

This is a discussion on Riddle me this - Setup ; Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display, keyboard, speakers. I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center display resolution listed ...

  1. Riddle me this

    Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    keyboard, speakers.

    I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center display
    resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and going to the next
    larger one above 12xx.

    So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five years. Doing
    the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running KDE at the time and it
    decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards so rather than waste time I
    simply rebooted.

    The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that shows things
    like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic login screen. So I
    login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution. Odd but easy to fix. I open
    the KDE control center, go to peripherals>display and find for screen size I
    have only two resolutions available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected
    this new resolution requiring all text sizes be made smaller including eterms,
    Firefox and Thunderbird.

    Huh?!?

    The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in the late 1980s
    to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at hot switching but
    nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.

    I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same make and model
    (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery for eternity.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    --
    So far Iran has shown more willingness to help the US in Iraq than has
    Israel.

  2. Re: Riddle me this

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it
    > contains regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones,
    > display, keyboard, speakers.
    >
    > I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center
    > display resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and going
    > to the next larger one above 12xx.
    >
    > So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five
    > years. Doing the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running KDE
    > at the time and it decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards so
    > rather than waste time I simply rebooted.
    >
    > The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that
    > shows things like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic
    > login screen. So I login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution. Odd
    > but easy to fix. I open the KDE control center, go to
    > peripherals>display and find for screen size I have only two resolutions
    > available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected this new resolution
    > requiring all text sizes be made smaller including eterms, Firefox and
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > Huh?!?
    >
    > The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in the
    > late 1980s to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at hot
    > switching but nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.
    >
    > I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same make
    > and model (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery for
    > eternity.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    I would suspect you need to add the additional resolutions into
    xorg.conf, not the gui control panel.

    Charles

  3. Re: Riddle me this

    datax wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it
    >> contains regarding handling peripherals which are only the common
    >> ones, display, keyboard, speakers.
    >>
    >> I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center
    >> display resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and
    >> going to the next larger one above 12xx.
    >>
    >> So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five
    >> years. Doing the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running
    >> KDE at the time and it decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards
    >> so rather than waste time I simply rebooted.
    >>
    >> The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that
    >> shows things like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic
    >> login screen. So I login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution.
    >> Odd but easy to fix. I open the KDE control center, go to
    >> peripherals>display and find for screen size I have only two
    >> resolutions available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected this
    >> new resolution requiring all text sizes be made smaller including
    >> eterms, Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Huh?!?
    >>
    >> The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in
    >> the late 1980s to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at
    >> hot switching but nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.
    >>
    >> I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same
    >> make and model (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery
    >> for eternity.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>

    > I would suspect you need to add the additional resolutions into
    > xorg.conf, not the gui control panel.

    Those are all still there up to 1260. Changing the keyboard changed the default
    resolution of the computer as well as changed resolutions available via KDE.

    --
    So far Iran has shown more willingness to help the US in Iraq than has
    Israel.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3735
    Larry Shiff http://www.giwersworld.org/computers/newsagent.phtml a8

  4. Re: Riddle me this

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:07:50 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:
    | Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    | regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    | keyboard, speakers.
    |
    | I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center display
    | resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and going to the next
    | larger one above 12xx.
    |
    | So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five years. Doing
    | the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running KDE at the time and it
    | decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards so rather than waste time I
    | simply rebooted.
    |
    | The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that shows things
    | like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic login screen. So I
    | login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution. Odd but easy to fix. I open
    | the KDE control center, go to peripherals>display and find for screen size I
    | have only two resolutions available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected
    | this new resolution requiring all text sizes be made smaller including eterms,
    | Firefox and Thunderbird.
    |
    | Huh?!?
    |
    | The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in the late 1980s
    | to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at hot switching but
    | nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.
    |
    | I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same make and model
    | (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery for eternity.
    |
    | Anyone have any ideas?

    How often do you reboot the box?

    Had you done a yum update after the previous reboot?

    --
    Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
    Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

  5. Re: Riddle me this

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    > regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    > keyboard, speakers.

    Do you have an NVidia card with locally installed NVidia drivers, which
    normally do not cooperate with RPM or Yum installations at all and can
    leave your xorg.conf messed up for upgrades of the Xorg software and of
    the kernel?

  6. Re: Riddle me this

    Paul Colquhoun wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:07:50 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > | Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    > | regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    > | keyboard, speakers.
    > |
    > | I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center display
    > | resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and going to the next
    > | larger one above 12xx.
    > |
    > | So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five years. Doing
    > | the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running KDE at the time and it
    > | decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards so rather than waste time I
    > | simply rebooted.
    > |
    > | The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that shows things
    > | like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic login screen. So I
    > | login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution. Odd but easy to fix. I open
    > | the KDE control center, go to peripherals>display and find for screen size I
    > | have only two resolutions available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected
    > | this new resolution requiring all text sizes be made smaller including eterms,
    > | Firefox and Thunderbird.
    > |
    > | Huh?!?
    > |
    > | The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in the late 1980s
    > | to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at hot switching but
    > | nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.
    > |
    > | I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same make and model
    > | (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery for eternity.
    > |
    > | Anyone have any ideas?

    > How often do you reboot the box?

    Once a day because (I think) I have a bad RAM stick and haven't gotten around
    to replacing them.

    > Had you done a yum update after the previous reboot?

    The sequence was changing the keyboard, rebooting, finding the lower
    resolutions. There was no yum in the sequence.

    --
    By Bush's definition of civil war the US has never had a civil war.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3733

  7. Re: Riddle me this

    Nico wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    >> regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    >> keyboard, speakers.

    > Do you have an NVidia card with locally installed NVidia drivers, which
    > normally do not cooperate with RPM or Yum installations at all and can
    > leave your xorg.conf messed up for upgrades of the Xorg software and of
    > the kernel?

    I have a plain vanilla driver build into the motherboard some place. I don't
    know the chipset used. But they worked perfectly with an FC4 install around Sept
    2005 and with an FC6 upgrade November 2006.

    --
    If Americans knew about Israel's treatment of non-Jews they would turn
    against Israel as fast as they did against apartheid South Africa.

  8. Re: Riddle me this

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:07:50 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > Running FC6 fully yum updated with nothing other than what it contains
    > regarding handling peripherals which are only the common ones, display,
    > keyboard, speakers.
    >
    > I had a screen resolution at 12xx by 7xx. The KDE control center display
    > resolution listed all four common ones starting at 640 and going to the next
    > larger one above 12xx.
    >
    > So the old keyboard finally decided to die on me after about five years. Doing
    > the obvious I plugged in a new keyboard. I was running KDE at the time and it
    > decided it did not like hot-swapping keyboards so rather than waste time I
    > simply rebooted.
    >
    > The first odd thing I notice is the start up graphics screen that shows things
    > like getting eth0 info is larger. Then so is the graphic login screen. So I
    > login and KDE comes up but in 800x600 resolution. Odd but easy to fix. I open
    > the KDE control center, go to peripherals>display and find for screen size I
    > have only two resolutions available, 800x600 and 640x480. Everything reflected
    > this new resolution requiring all text sizes be made smaller including eterms,
    > Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >
    > Huh?!?
    >
    > The above is exactly all that I did, period. In the past, as in the late 1980s
    > to early 90s I noticed some motherboards were pissed at hot switching but
    > nothing but the delay and repeat rate had to be reset.
    >
    > I guess I could repair the old keyboard or try one of the same make and model
    > (I have one to try) or I could leave this as a mystery for eternity.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    I had the same issue with FC6 yesterday or the day before, can't really
    remember. Using a NVIDIA graphics when after a reboot due to issues with
    the nic and the resolution reset to 8X6.
    Reconfigured and rebooted a couple of times and no luck
    Even changed the monitor to a different one and the same issue. It did
    eventually work itself out but it was after changing the monitor, the
    settings and a couple of reboots.

+ Reply to Thread