why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!! - Setup

This is a discussion on why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!! - Setup ; damn it! how in **** do I see what disk home is on?...

  1. why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!!

    damn it!
    how in **** do I see what disk home is on?

  2. Re: why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!!

    gavino wrote:

    > damn it!
    > how in **** do I see what disk home is on?

    as root: mount

    Then fix your fstab.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!!

    "gavino" writes:

    > why oh why does fedora use labels?
    > why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!!

    It can, it's up to you.

    Labels have a bit of an advantage in some situations, as when I added an
    extra IDE PCI card, which shifted all drives from a-d to e-f, and my system
    still booted fine as it mounted drives using the labels.

    -- HASM

  4. Re: why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut showme the disks!!!

    gavino wrote:
    > damn it!
    > how in **** do I see what disk home is on?

    It is on the disk you installed FC on unless you changed it.

    --
    A certain thing in this world is if you say Jews are inconsequential then
    Jews will start making claims of Jewish power they would call antisemitic if

  5. Re: why oh why does fedora use labels? why can't etc/fstab jsut show me the disks!!!

    gavino wrote:
    > damn it!
    > how in **** do I see what disk home is on?

    While the systemm is running, you could type "mount" and read what it
    reports, or directly read /etc/mtab.

    The LABEL's are useful if you wind up moving drives around for any
    reason. That especially occurs when switching controller cards,
    sometimes when installing badly written drivers for controllers such as
    the old Promise 20265 drivers from Promise, or when SCSI devices get
    re-ordered by SCSI naming randomness.

    They're also useful if you move the drive to a second machine to boot
    with, but put it in an external bay or a separate internal controller.

+ Reply to Thread