hda purchase - Setup

This is a discussion on hda purchase - Setup ; Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase ...

  1. hda purchase

    Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.

    I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    "400mhz" buss.

    I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    buggy. HELP????

    -- dw

  2. Re: hda purchase

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:37:55 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

    > Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    > this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    > have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.
    >
    > I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    > not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    > correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    > "400mhz" buss.
    >
    > I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    > this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    > buggy. HELP????
    >
    > -- dw

    I should also have mentioned. If anyone feels strongly about brands, or
    that I should go w/ sata but a different mb, feel free. I welcome all
    suggestions/remarks.

    --
    dw

  3. Re: hda purchase

    linxlvr wrote:
    > Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    > this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    > have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.

    Would you not first try a new cable?

    > I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    > not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    > correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    > "400mhz" buss.

    > I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    > this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    > buggy. HELP????

    My experience with FC-4 and 6 is serial feels slower although it is
    also four times larger than the last serial I used. If the slowness is
    the disk size it does not feel four times slower.

  4. Re: hda purchase

    linxlvr writes:

    >Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    >this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    >have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.

    >I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    >not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    >correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    >"400mhz" buss.

    >I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    >this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    >buggy. HELP????

    jYou can use sata ONLY if your motherboard has a sata drive connection.
    Just go with IDE if that is what you have. Get a 400GB since it is hard to
    get anything smaller.

    >-- dw

  5. correction Re: hda purchase

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > linxlvr wrote:
    >> Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    >> this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    >> have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.

    > Would you not first try a new cable?
    >
    >> I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    >> not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    >> correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    >> "400mhz" buss.

    >> I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    >> this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    >> buggy. HELP????

    > My experience with FC-4 and 6 is serial feels slower although it is
    > also four times larger than the last serial

    last PARALLEL drive I used

    > I used. If the slowness is
    > the disk size it does not feel four times slower.

  6. Re: hda purchase

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:37:55 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

    > I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder
    > w/ this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is
    > still buggy. HELP????

    I'm pleased with my SATA drive, except for one thing. Because I have
    four OSes installed and bootable, I have sixteen partitions total...
    and Linux (well, Ubuntu, anyway) sees SATA as SCSI. The sixteenth
    partition, which was *going* to be a FAT32 partition for all OSes to
    share data, is invisible to Linux.

    If you need more than fifteen partitions, either don't use SATA or get
    two large drives instead of one bloody huge one.

  7. Re: hda purchase

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 03:38:21 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > linxlvr wrote:
    >> Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    >> this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    >> have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.

    > Would you not first try a new cable?

    Yes, TY, I already have some time ago. Changed the cable, and voila it
    worked. Two months later, same thing, changed the cable again, and it
    worked again. The third time it happened, I realized it must be the socket
    and now just "play" with it till it works again.

    --
    dw

  8. Re: hda purchase

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 04:16:24 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > linxlvr writes:
    >
    > You can use sata ONLY if your motherboard has a sata drive connection.
    > Just go with IDE if that is what you have.

    8><----------------

    That was the ONLY thing I do know about sata, and my board came w/ this
    potential. But I didn't know how well my board's chipset would work w/
    linux, which is my main concern here I guess.

    --
    dw

  9. Re: hda purchase

    linxlvr writes:

    >On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 04:16:24 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    >> linxlvr writes:
    >>
    >> You can use sata ONLY if your motherboard has a sata drive connection.
    >> Just go with IDE if that is what you have.

    >8><----------------

    >That was the ONLY thing I do know about sata, and my board came w/ this
    >potential. But I didn't know how well my board's chipset would work w/
    >linux, which is my main concern here I guess.

    Linux certainly works with SATA -- I have a machine with SATA on which
    Mandriva 2005-2007 work fine. However, whether this would be true of your
    particular motherboard/driver/... I do not know. It is supposed to be
    faster but I have never tested it.

    >--
    >dw

  10. Re: hda purchase

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 22:37:55 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

    > Hi all. My WD 120 HDD is clicking every so often. Though it has done
    > this before and I have corrected it by playing w/ the cable socket, I
    > have decided enough is enough. I am going to now purchase a new HDD.
    >
    > I am running a gigabyte main board w/ an nvidia chipset, an nforce but
    > not sure which one. (It is covered by a small fan) If memory serves me
    > correctly (doubtful) it was one of the first AMD capable chipsets to do
    > "400mhz" buss.
    >
    > I am wondering if I should go w/ sata. Is it worth it? Is it harder w/
    > this chipset? Googling around it seems the earlier nv chipset is still
    > buggy. HELP????
    >
    > -- dw

    OK.
    I purchased a WD caviar SE 7200 rpm sata 160 GB
    It seems to be recognized by fdisk,
    so rebooted w/ my original drives to dwnload a fresh copy to install deb from.
    Can I get a second drive later and raid them w/o it affecting the install?
    (Hardware raid in motherboard w/ an identical drive)

    --
    dw

+ Reply to Thread