Can I setup multiple ftp + eMail accounts for ONE Linux user ? - Setup

This is a discussion on Can I setup multiple ftp + eMail accounts for ONE Linux user ? - Setup ; Assume I have a user account for user aaaa. Linux user=aaaa means a user which logins in at the GUI frontend/desktop with login name and passwort. Now, is it possible to assign multiple ftp accounts for this user or is ...

  1. Can I setup multiple ftp + eMail accounts for ONE Linux user ?

    Assume I have a user account for user aaaa. Linux user=aaaa means a user which logins in
    at the GUI frontend/desktop with login name and passwort.

    Now, is it possible to assign multiple ftp accounts for this user or
    is the relationsship always
    1 Linux user = 1 ftp account ?

    If multiple ftp accounts are possible: How do I create (from command line / by editing config files)
    the following ftp accounts for user aaaa:

    login=aaaa-1 password=aaaa-pw1 initial ftp root directory=\ftp1
    login=aaaa-2 password=aaaa-pw2 initial ftp root directory=\ftp2
    login=aaaa-3 password=aaaa-pw3 initial ftp root directory=\ftp3

    Furthermore the same question arises for eMail accounts: Can I setup multiple POP3
    eMail accounts on a Linux system for user=aaaa ?

    If yes: How can I assign them to user=aaaa ?

    Carsten

  2. Re: Can I setup multiple ftp + eMail accounts for ONE Linux user?

    Carsten Eishold wrote:
    > Assume I have a user account for user aaaa. Linux user=aaaa means a user which logins in
    > at the GUI frontend/desktop with login name and passwort.
    >
    > Now, is it possible to assign multiple ftp accounts for this user or
    > is the relationsship always
    > 1 Linux user = 1 ftp account ?
    >
    > If multiple ftp accounts are possible: How do I create (from command line / by editing config files)
    > the following ftp accounts for user aaaa:
    >
    > login=aaaa-1 password=aaaa-pw1 initial ftp root directory=\ftp1
    > login=aaaa-2 password=aaaa-pw2 initial ftp root directory=\ftp2
    > login=aaaa-3 password=aaaa-pw3 initial ftp root directory=\ftp3
    >
    > Furthermore the same question arises for eMail accounts: Can I setup multiple POP3
    > eMail accounts on a Linux system for user=aaaa ?
    >
    > If yes: How can I assign them to user=aaaa ?

    It sounds to me like you're looking for "virtual" mail and FTP accounts.

    Any of the popular SMTP and POP3 daemons can be configured to receive
    mail and deliver it to a mailbox without requiring a login account for
    that user. Instead of having the mailbox owned by the user (which
    doesn't exist), it is typically owned by the "mail" account or some
    other system account. In your case, you'd just set up virtual mail
    hosting running as user "aaaa" instead.

    See, for example, Exim's "user" parameter for transports at:
    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.63/d...html/ch24.html

    (You need to configure both SMTP and POP3 for your mail users. The
    computer will receive mail on SMTP connections and users will read it
    via POP3.)

    Other SMTP (and POP3) daemons can likewise be configured to run as
    whatever user you like. Consult the documentation for whatever daemons
    you're using for info on setting them up for "virtual" mailboxes. Just
    make sure they run as "aaaa".

    Same goes for FTP. You can set up most common FTP daemons for virtual
    users, too. Again, make sure the daemon is configured to run as "aaaa"
    instead of some generic system "ftp" or "daemon" account. See, for
    example, the reference to "guest_username" in the question on "virtual
    users" in the vsFTPd FAQ at http://www.vsftpdrocks.org/faq/

    The most common approach for virtual users (mail or ftp) is to store
    configuration information in a database. In your case it would be easy
    to set up the database to contain username, password, mailbox location,
    and FTP base directory all in the same database table if you want the
    same users to have mail and ftp access or different tables if you have
    different users for each.

    Anyway, "virtual users" for both FTP and mail are common. Google for
    detailed documentation using those keywords and the names of whatever
    SMTP, POP3, and FTP daemons you're going to be using.

  3. Re: Can I setup multiple ftp + eMail accounts for ONE Linux user ?

    On 2006-12-02, Carsten Eishold wrote:

    > Now, is it possible to assign multiple ftp accounts for this
    > user or is the relationsship always 1 Linux user = 1 ftp
    > account ?

    It depends on the ftp server. For the vanilla "netkit" one,
    there is no such thing as an "ftp account", only the normal
    user account info stored in /etc/passwd.

    > Furthermore the same question arises for eMail accounts: Can I
    > setup multiple POP3 eMail accounts on a Linux system for
    > user=aaaa ?

    That depends on the mail server you're running and what you
    mean by "account". Most mail servers have an alias feature so
    you can set up an N:1 mapping from e-mail addresses to a
    username.

    > If yes: How can I assign them to user=aaaa ?

    You'll have to read the docs for your mail server.

    Perhaps if you state what ftp and mail servers you're using and
    what exactly your trying to accomplish, somebody could come up
    with some more specific answers.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am covered with
    at pure vegetable oil and I am

+ Reply to Thread