How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LINE ?? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LINE ?? - Setup ; Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g. through telnet). How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux, RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....) and which release number? How can I find out (from the ...

  1. How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LINE ??

    Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g. through telnet).

    How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux, RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....)
    and which release number?

    How can I find out (from the command line as well) which eMail client/server software
    and other packages are currently used and installed ?

    Patricia

  2. Re: How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LI

    Hello Patricia!

    02 Dec 06 18:33, Patricia Mindanao wrote to All:

    PM> Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g.
    PM> through telnet).

    PM> How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux,
    PM> RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....) and which release number?

    uname -a

    PM> How can I find out (from the command line as well) which eMail
    PM> client/server software and other packages are currently used and
    PM> installed ?

    This depends on what distro you have but if you have Fedora Core, Redhat,
    Mandriva etc then do:

    rpm -qa | sort > rpm-list

    when finished do :
    less rpm-list

    rpm-list will contain all packages installed.

    Vince

  3. Re: How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae fromCOMMAND LI

    Vince Coen wrote:
    > Hello Patricia!
    >
    > 02 Dec 06 18:33, Patricia Mindanao wrote to All:
    >
    > PM> Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g.
    > PM> through telnet).
    >
    > PM> How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux,
    > PM> RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....) and which release number?
    >
    > uname -a
    >

    > PM> How can I find out (from the command line as well) which eMail
    > PM> client/server software and other packages are currently used and
    > PM> installed ?
    >
    > This depends on what distro you have but if you have Fedora Core, Redhat,
    > Mandriva etc then do:
    >
    > rpm -qa | sort > rpm-list
    >
    > when finished do :
    > less rpm-list
    >
    > rpm-list will contain all packages installed.

    of possible passing interest ...

    I was trying to remember that and out of curiosity just tried it on my website,
    Dreamhost, and the result was correct but did not make a lick of sense without
    staring at it a while.

  4. Re: How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LI

    Vince Coen wrote:
    > Hello Patricia!
    >
    > 02 Dec 06 18:33, Patricia Mindanao wrote to All:
    >
    > PM> Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g.
    > PM> through telnet).
    >
    > PM> How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux,
    > PM> RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....) and which release number?
    >
    > uname -a

    [snip]
    > rpm -qa | sort > rpm-list

    My results:

    ~ $ uname -a
    Linux bitsie 2.4.29 #8 Thu Jan 20 16:36:28 PST 2005 i686 unknown
    unknown GNU/Linux

    ~ $ rpm -qa | sort | more
    ~$

    What Distribution and version do I run?

    [snip]

  5. Re: How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae fromCOMMAND LI

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Vince Coen wrote:
    >> Hello Patricia!
    >>
    >> 02 Dec 06 18:33, Patricia Mindanao wrote to All:
    >>
    >> PM> Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g.
    >> PM> through telnet).
    >>
    >> PM> How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed
    >> (Linux,
    >> PM> RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....) and which release number?
    >>
    >> uname -a
    >>

    >> PM> How can I find out (from the command line as well) which eMail
    >> PM> client/server software and other packages are currently used and
    >> PM> installed ?
    >>
    >> This depends on what distro you have but if you have Fedora Core,
    >> Redhat, Mandriva etc then do:
    >>
    >> rpm -qa | sort > rpm-list
    >>
    >> when finished do :
    >> less rpm-list
    >>
    >> rpm-list will contain all packages installed.

    > of possible passing interest ...
    >
    > I was trying to remember that and out of curiosity just tried it on
    > my website, Dreamhost, and the result was correct but did not make a
    > lick of sense without staring at it a while.

    By that I mean this from Dreamhost

    Linux wiggle 2.4.29-grsec+w+fhs6b+gr0501+nfs+a32+++p4+sata+c4+gr2b-v6.189 #1 SMP
    Mon Feb 7 13:23:30 PST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread