Restoring hard links and soft links etc - Setup

This is a discussion on Restoring hard links and soft links etc - Setup ; I have to backup files offsite regularly, and I have been looking at programs like duplicity, rdiff-backup, rsnapshot and the like. The impression I get is that they may not always restore hard links in particular and some other kinds ...

  1. Restoring hard links and soft links etc

    I have to backup files offsite regularly, and I have been looking at
    programs like duplicity, rdiff-backup, rsnapshot and the like.

    The impression I get is that they may not always restore hard links in
    particular and some other kinds of filesystem info as well.

    Are there some utilities that can scan for the soft and hard links in a
    directory tree, store them and allow them to restored after the main
    directory tree has been recreated?

    voipfc

  2. Re: Restoring hard links and soft links etc

    In article <1165074104.151623.199830@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups. com>,
    voipfc wrote:

    > I have to backup files offsite regularly, and I have been looking at
    > programs like duplicity, rdiff-backup, rsnapshot and the like.
    >
    > The impression I get is that they may not always restore hard links in
    > particular and some other kinds of filesystem info as well.
    >
    > Are there some utilities that can scan for the soft and hard links in a
    > directory tree, store them and allow them to restored after the main
    > directory tree has been recreated?

    I believe find | tar will do that, probably find | cpio too, but those
    are rather less capable than what you've been looking at.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.no-ip.org:81
    PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola

+ Reply to Thread