Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux - Setup

This is a discussion on Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux - Setup ; Hi folks, In my company we had one Windows 2000 domain called kochi.example.com (Private DNS) and one Redhat Linux proxy Server(for internet) Now the squid is working is fine. We can able to access the internet.. In a Internet client ...

  1. Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux

    Hi folks,

    In my company we had one Windows 2000 domain called kochi.example.com
    (Private DNS) and
    one Redhat Linux proxy Server(for internet)

    Now the squid is working is fine. We can able to access the internet..

    In a Internet client machine,

    But if we want to access the intranet access sites(for example
    mumbai.example.com,madras.example.com),
    we have to include the entries
    in Internet Explorer - tools-Internet settings -Lan Settings - Do not
    use the proxy server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to
    specify
    *.example.com..

    In an intranet client machine,

    We can access intranet access perfectly by giving dns ip without proxy
    ..

    Now the management team wants to do this...

    All requests to both internet (www.yahoo.com) sites and intranet
    (kerala.example.com) sites goues through proxy. If it is

    a intranet site it should be redirected this to Windows 2000 Domain
    (for resolving). Internet Sites should go through proxy as it is.

    For that I made entry in proxy server /etc/resolv.conf

    my private dns ip
    my public dns ip

    Now internet is not working..because all requests goes through private
    dns ip.

    Precisely, they want to eliminate the settings(Do not use the proxy
    server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to specify
    *.example.com..). Only they want to specify the proxy ip address and
    its port (for local intranet specifing the dns server ip).

    What Should I do ?

  2. Re: Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux

    pandi wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > In my company we had one Windows 2000 domain called kochi.example.com
    > (Private DNS) and
    > one Redhat Linux proxy Server(for internet)
    >

    > Now the squid is working is fine. We can able to access the internet..
    >
    > In a Internet client machine,
    >
    > But if we want to access the intranet access sites(for example
    > mumbai.example.com,madras.example.com),
    > we have to include the entries
    > in Internet Explorer - tools-Internet settings -Lan Settings - Do not
    > use the proxy server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to
    > specify
    > *.example.com..
    >
    > In an intranet client machine,
    >
    > We can access intranet access perfectly by giving dns ip without proxy
    > .
    >

    > Now the management team wants to do this...
    >
    > All requests to both internet (www.yahoo.com) sites and intranet
    > (kerala.example.com) sites goues through proxy. If it is
    >
    > a intranet site it should be redirected this to Windows 2000 Domain
    > (for resolving). Internet Sites should go through proxy as it is.
    >
    > For that I made entry in proxy server /etc/resolv.conf
    >
    > my private dns ip
    > my public dns ip
    >
    > Now internet is not working..because all requests goes through private
    > dns ip.
    >
    > Precisely, they want to eliminate the settings(Do not use the proxy
    > server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to specify
    > *.example.com..). Only they want to specify the proxy ip address and
    > its port (for local intranet specifing the dns server ip).
    >

    > What Should I do ?

    Two ways possible. One is off topic here.

    1. Set up autoconfig file for you IE browsers -- off topic here.

    2. Don't do this in resolve.conf. This should be done with your dns
    server. If you are running dns on the Red Hat box, it can be configured
    to know the difference between internal and external addesses, and
    resolve both.

+ Reply to Thread