Why am I getting Twm? (And how do I change it?) - Setup

This is a discussion on Why am I getting Twm? (And how do I change it?) - Setup ; I've recently installed FC6 onto a new machine. The install went like a dream, as did all the basic tests I did. I installed gnome, and that too worked fine. I've just got back from a night away, and when ...

  1. Why am I getting Twm? (And how do I change it?)

    I've recently installed FC6 onto a new machine. The install went like a
    dream, as did all the basic tests I did. I installed gnome, and that too
    worked fine.

    I've just got back from a night away, and when I powered up the machine,
    everything appeared to be okay, until I logged in, at which point my gnome
    session did not appear, but instead something else, that I'm pretty
    certain is called Twm.

    How did that happen, what have I done wrong, and how do I get back to my
    gnome?

    Help, please!

    Many thanks,

    Dave

    --
    Dave Stratford ZFCA
    http://daves.orpheusweb.co.uk/

  2. Re: Why am I getting Twm? (And how do I change it?)

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:07:34 +0000, Dave Stratford wrote:

    > I've recently installed FC6 onto a new machine. The install went like a
    > dream, as did all the basic tests I did. I installed gnome, and that too
    > worked fine.
    >
    > I've just got back from a night away, and when I powered up the machine,
    > everything appeared to be okay, until I logged in, at which point my gnome
    > session did not appear, but instead something else, that I'm pretty
    > certain is called Twm.
    >
    > How did that happen, what have I done wrong, and how do I get back to my
    > gnome?
    >
    > Help, please!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    yum install switchdesk

    then run switchdesk

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: Why am I getting Twm? (And how do I change it?)

    In article ,
    Baho Utot wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:07:34 +0000, Dave Stratford wrote:

    > > I've recently installed FC6 onto a new machine. The install went like
    > > a dream, as did all the basic tests I did. I installed gnome, and that
    > > too worked fine.
    > >
    > > I've just got back from a night away, and when I powered up the
    > > machine, everything appeared to be okay, until I logged in, at which
    > > point my gnome session did not appear, but instead something else,
    > > that I'm pretty certain is called Twm.
    > >
    > > How did that happen, what have I done wrong, and how do I get back to
    > > my gnome?
    > >
    > > Help, please!
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > Dave

    > yum install switchdesk

    > then run switchdesk

    Aha, thank you. Indirectly it also told me what I must have done.

    I downloaded switchdesk and ran it. That told me that gnome wasn't
    installed, which I know it was, and told me what to do to install gnome. I
    did that, and it actuslly only installed about half a dozen or so
    packages, the rest having already been installed. At which point it all
    ran perfectly.

    When I first installed, I had gone through and added all the extra bits I
    wanted, and got rid of stuff I thought I didn't need, including a load of
    bluetooth packages, and these were the only packages that were reinstalled.

    Even though I don't have bluetooth hardware on my machine, gnome appears
    to still need the packages installed to run. I guess you really do learn
    something new every day.

    Many thanks.

    Dave

    --
    Dave Stratford ZFCA
    http://daves.orpheusweb.co.uk/
    Hexagon Systems Limited - Experts in VME systems development

+ Reply to Thread