Can anyone help me. - Setup

This is a discussion on Can anyone help me. - Setup ; A couple of years ago I installed a Caldera CD with PartitionMagic etc on my Windows 98 machine. Mostly it went well except I couldn't get the Internet because I only had a WinModem. The sound card didn't work either. ...

  1. Can anyone help me.

    A couple of years ago I installed a Caldera CD with PartitionMagic etc on my
    Windows 98 machine. Mostly it went well except I couldn't get the Internet
    because I only had a WinModem. The sound card didn't work either.
    Having had a WindowsEP machine for a while now I decided to try it all
    again. Als I have discovered there is now NTFS
    instead of FAT32. It just doesn't work.
    Now IF I get hold of PartitionMagic 8 which works with NTFSand partition my
    hard disk, can I then boot to the disk I have made or not?
    I have also downloaded all the Mandrake iso files (3) but haven't a clue how
    to set about using them, although I realise I still need a partition before
    I can do anything.
    I gather Partition Magic is a bit dated and I don't want to buy it if the
    whole exercise will be futile.
    Any guidance will be appreciated, any at all.
    Thanks Paul C

  2. Re: Can anyone help me.

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:43:30 +1300, Paul Catchpole wrote:

    > I have also downloaded all the Mandrake iso files (3) but haven't a clue how
    > to set about using them, although I realise I still need a partition before
    > I can do anything.
    > I gather Partition Magic is a bit dated and I don't want to buy it if the
    > whole exercise will be futile.

    Download, burn the iso from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828
    Always verify sum file before burning to verify you have a good download.

    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe
    http://etree.org/md5com.html

    Use disk clean and defrag your XP windows.
    Boot the live cd and shrink your windows partition for at least 10 gig.
    Do not format the new free/unused/unknown space. Linux installer will
    do that.

    Now you can boot Mandriva cd 1 and tell it to install in the free unused space.
    During summary phase do test your video card/monitor.

+ Reply to Thread