Grub/counting hds - Setup

This is a discussion on Grub/counting hds - Setup ; Hello, my BIOS allows to boot from any harddisk. Therefore, I want to install the bootloaders for W2K, XP and linux on three different harddisks. However, the first try to start the installed ubuntu with grub produced just text output: ...

  1. Grub/counting hds

    Hello,
    my BIOS allows to boot from any harddisk. Therefore, I want to install the
    bootloaders for W2K, XP and linux on three different harddisks. However,
    the first try to start the installed ubuntu with grub produced just text
    output:
    "grub grub grub..."
    and that was it.

    The problem: when I install ubuntu (and grub) from cd, the sequence of hds
    is as specified in the BIOS. When I install grub on hd1 (instead of hd0)
    and boot from hd1 the sequence of hds is - probably - changed. Since I
    have very little experience with linux, I am not sure what I have to
    change where to boot linux with grub from hd1.

    Any helpful ideas out there?

    Oskar von dem Hagen

  2. Re: Grub/counting hds

    Oskar von dem Hagen wrote:

    > my BIOS allows to boot from any harddisk. Therefore, I want to install the
    > bootloaders for W2K, XP and linux on three different harddisks. However,
    > the first try to start the installed ubuntu with grub produced just text
    > output:
    > "grub grub grub..."
    > and that was it.
    >
    > The problem: when I install ubuntu (and grub) from cd, the sequence of hds
    > is as specified in the BIOS. When I install grub on hd1 (instead of hd0)
    > and boot from hd1 the sequence of hds is - probably - changed. Since I
    > have very little experience with linux, I am not sure what I have to
    > change where to boot linux with grub from hd1.
    >
    > Any helpful ideas out there?

    I imagine you would have to tell the BIOS
    (by going into the BIOS setup when booting)
    that you wanted to boot from the second disk.

    Of course you could put the grub loader on the MBR of the first disk,
    but have your /boot partition (and everything else) on the second disk.

    You probably should say "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda" (or whatever),
    to make sure grub has the same understanding of your hard disks as you.

    You could always install grub on the MBRs of both disks ...

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366