KDE INSTALLATION - Setup

This is a discussion on KDE INSTALLATION - Setup ; I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD KDE. 1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT WHICH ...

  1. KDE INSTALLATION

    I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
    SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
    DOWNLOAD KDE.

    1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
    WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
    kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
    ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
    ONE?

    2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

    3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.
    REGARDS
    SUBHADIP

  2. Re: KDE INSTALLATION

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:44:40 -0800, Subha wrote:

    > I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
    > SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
    > DOWNLOAD KDE.

    Great!

    > 1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
    > WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
    > kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
    > ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
    > ONE?

    No

    > 2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

    Linux filesystems don't have file extensions.

    www.kde.org

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: KDE INSTALLATION

    Subha wrote:
    > I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
    > SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
    > DOWNLOAD KDE.

    There should be a KDE on your system. Type

    startx

    and see what happens.

    > 1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
    > WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
    > kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
    > ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
    > ONE?
    >
    > 2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?
    >
    > 3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.
    > REGARDS
    > SUBHADIP

  4. Re: KDE INSTALLATION

    > > 2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

    > Linux filesystems don't have file extensions.

    While it is correct that Linux doesn't have file extensions, the ".rpm"
    means that it is a package of programs
    for use by the Redhat Package Manager. If you are running a system
    that supports this, you can just download
    the package and run "rpm" on the system to install all the files with a
    single command.

    Cheers!
    Mike

  5. Re: KDE INSTALLATION

    Baho Utot wrote:
    ,,,
    > Linux filesystems don't have file extensions.

    Does not require file extensions. Best practice is for a program to use
    the "magic number" file header to identify the type. However not all
    programs make use of this and not all files have a unique header.

+ Reply to Thread