new mainboard - Setup

This is a discussion on new mainboard - Setup ; hi all, i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as compatibility is concerned? Is there any ...

  1. new mainboard

    hi all,
    i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go for
    the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as far as
    compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature that is
    still not supported by linux?

    thanks
    ivan

  2. Re: new mainboard

    On Saturday 25 November 2006 15:47, Ivan stood up and addressed the masses
    in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

    > hi all,
    > i am about to buy a new motherboard (and cpu), and i was thinking to go
    > for the dual core technology. Is there anything I should be aware of as
    > far as compatibility is concerned? Is there any chipset or other feature
    > that is still not supported by linux?

    I'm not sure on whether this still counts, but there are certain issues with
    SATA on Asus boards, which seem to trace back to the BIOS versions Asus
    uses for those boards.

    Other than that, there do not seem to be any problems. Of course, if you
    opt for a 64-bit system, you should keep in mind that certain plugins are
    only available in 32-bit versions and thus require 32-bit libraries to work
    with.

    So for instance, if you want to use the Flash plugins for Firefox on a
    64-bit system, you'll need to install a 32-bit version of Firefox.
    Likewise for /win32codecs/ and the mediaplayer you want to use with them.

    As for videocards, ATI cards traditionally have very poor and unstable
    drivers for the Linux kernel, but this /may/ change in the near future, now
    that AMD has purchased ATI and has announced to be releasing the ATI
    drivers as Open Source to X.Org.

    Lastly, I strongly advise going for an AMD solution. Intel may be faster
    now with its Core 2 Duo, but technically, the AMD design is far superior,
    and this particularly stands out on physical SMP systems - i.e. systems
    with more than one processor node on the motherboard.

    If you're going for 64-bit and you're going to be using a downloadable
    distribution, pick /AMD64/ or /x86_64,/ _not_ /IA64/ - that's for the
    Itanium processor, which is quite a different thing! ;-)

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)