Please help - Setup

This is a discussion on Please help - Setup ; Hi all I'm using Debian Etch. Few days ago i got Elive cd. The details on /in the cd says that I can install packages from that cd to my Debian. But I'm unable to "add" the cd to the ...

  1. Please help

    Hi all

    I'm using Debian Etch.
    Few days ago i got Elive cd. The details on /in the cd says that I can
    install packages from that cd to my Debian. But I'm unable to "add" the
    cd to the sourses list and I cannot install packages from the elive cd.

    Is there any method to install packages from the cd??
    Please help me.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Please help

    On Nov 23, 7:57 am, "kaari" wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm using Debian Etch.
    > Few days ago i got Elive cd. The details on /in the cd says that I can
    > install packages from that cd to my Debian. But I'm unable to "add" the
    > cd to the sourses list and I cannot install packages from the elive cd.

    What did you write in your source.list?
    I do not use that CD myself but I think it should contain a directory
    with deb packages in it.

    > Is there any method to install packages from the cd??

    You can copy packages from the CD to your harddisk (e.g. ~/ directory)
    and run dpkg -i package.deb as root to install it.
    > Please help me.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Please help

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > On 23 Nov 2006 09:54:56 -0800, H.Xu
    > wrote:
    > > On Nov 23, 7:57 am, "kaari" wrote:
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> I'm using Debian Etch.
    > >> Few days ago i got Elive cd. The details on /in the cd says that I can
    > >> install packages from that cd to my Debian. But I'm unable to "add" the
    > >> cd to the sourses list and I cannot install packages from the elive cd.

    > > What did you write in your source.list?
    > > I do not use that CD myself but I think it should contain a directory
    > > with deb packages in it.

    > You shouldn't need to manually edit the sources.list file, just give the
    > command "apt-cdrom add".

    Then what happens when one does the next "apt-get install" command
    and there is nothing in the cd? Does it look in the cd first or last?

    later,
    charles.....

  4. Re: Please help

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 23 Nov 2006 09:54:56 -0800, H.Xu
    > wrote:
    > > On Nov 23, 7:57 am, "kaari" wrote:
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> I'm using Debian Etch.
    > >> Few days ago i got Elive cd. The details on /in the cd says that I can
    > >> install packages from that cd to my Debian. But I'm unable to "add" the
    > >> cd to the sourses list and I cannot install packages from the elive cd.

    > > What did you write in your source.list?
    > > I do not use that CD myself but I think it should contain a directory
    > > with deb packages in it.

    > You shouldn't need to manually edit the sources.list file, just give the
    > command "apt-cdrom add".
    >

    > --
    > Don't smoke the next cigarette. Repeat.

    Sorry I'm late b.coz i was stdyin for my end semister exmas.
    Ans to your Q is "No".

    When I gave the cmd "apt-cdrom add" it says "this is not a debian cd"
    Then I try to manually edit the sources.lst. Same msg arises.

    By the way, i'm non-smoker
    regrds

+ Reply to Thread