vlc installation - Setup

This is a discussion on vlc installation - Setup ; When I try to install VLC player in my system, it asks for root paasword. Is there any way by which I can install the package for my login without root privilage?...

  1. vlc installation

    When I try to install VLC player in my system, it asks for root
    paasword. Is there any way by which I can install the package for my
    login without root privilage?

  2. Re: vlc installation

    In comp.os.linux.setup atul.ee@gmail.com:
    > When I try to install VLC player in my system, it asks for root
    > paasword. Is there any way by which I can install the package for my
    > login without root privilage?

    What kind of package (file extension?) and what does the command
    'file ' tell?

    #bofh excuse 265: The mouse escaped.

  3. Re: vlc installation

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup atul.ee@gmail.com:
    > > When I try to install VLC player in my system, it asks for root
    > > paasword. Is there any way by which I can install the package for my
    > > login without root privilage?

    > What kind of package (file extension?) and what does the command
    > 'file ' tell?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 265: The mouse escaped.

    Hi Michael,
    File extension is .rpm
    and command "file vlc-0.8.5-1.i386.rpm" returns:
    vlc-0.8.5-1.i386.rpm: RPM v3 bin i386 vlc-0.8.5-1
    Regards,
    Atul Agrawal

  4. Re: vlc installation

    In comp.os.linux.setup atul.ee@gmail.com:

    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup atul.ee@gmail.com:
    >> > When I try to install VLC player in my system, it asks for root
    >> > paasword. Is there any way by which I can install the package for my
    >> > login without root privilage?

    >> What kind of package (file extension?) and what does the command
    >> 'file ' tell?

    [..]

    > File extension is .rpm
    > and command "file vlc-0.8.5-1.i386.rpm" returns:
    > vlc-0.8.5-1.i386.rpm: RPM v3 bin i386 vlc-0.8.5-1

    Check 'man rpm2cpio' and 'man cpio' to turn the package first
    into a cpio file (rpm2cpio) and then unpack (cpio) to your $HOME.
    This should be the easiest.

    Good luck
    #bofh excuse 420: Feature was not beta tested

+ Reply to Thread