Chaos on a Linux box! - Setup

This is a discussion on Chaos on a Linux box! - Setup ; Hi guys, Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing some shell scripts, executed the command: mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_ / After that, ...

  1. Chaos on a Linux box!

    Hi guys,

    Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain
    has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing
    some shell scripts, executed the command:

    mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_/

    After that, no one's been able to login to that server through rsh or
    telnet. I suspect that he used a wrong variable value (there must've
    been no variable like SOME_DIR in his code).

    Since it moved pretty much everything under the '/' to another
    directory, all the paths are haywire and nothing is working. Adding to
    that, he even closed that session in alarm. So the only hope of
    recovery is also gone with the wind.

    Any tips on how to login to that system and remedy the situation by
    copying the / contents to their proper places?

    Thanks a million!

  2. Re: Chaos on a Linux box!

    "Krish" writes:

    > Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain
    > has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing
    > some shell scripts, executed the command:
    >
    > mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_/
    >
    > After that, no one's been able to login to that server through rsh or
    > telnet. I suspect that he used a wrong variable value (there must've
    > been no variable like SOME_DIR in his code).

    If you have access to the machine, boot from a rescue disc an try to move
    things back. Remotely it will be very hard to login.

    -- HASM

  3. Re: Chaos on a Linux box!

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:15:21 -0800, Krish wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain
    > has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing
    > some shell scripts, executed the command:
    >
    > mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_/
    >
    > After that, no one's been able to login to that server through rsh or
    > telnet. I suspect that he used a wrong variable value (there must've
    > been no variable like SOME_DIR in his code).
    >
    > Since it moved pretty much everything under the '/' to another
    > directory, all the paths are haywire and nothing is working. Adding to
    > that, he even closed that session in alarm. So the only hope of
    > recovery is also gone with the wind.
    >
    > Any tips on how to login to that system and remedy the situation by
    > copying the / contents to their proper places?
    >
    > Thanks a million!

    Could you use Tom's rootboot? http://www.toms.net/rtbt/

  4. Re: Chaos on a Linux box!

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 06:15:21 UTC, "Krish" wrote:

    > Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain
    > has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing
    > some shell scripts, executed the command:

    One has to ask why he was given it! I hope the cost of fixing the
    problem comes out of his bonus :-)

    --
    Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
    bona fide replies to j backus jita

+ Reply to Thread