Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it - Setup ; Hello everyone, I've got hold of an used powerbook G4, with an HDD as little as 10GB, and I'd like to be able to run Linux on it, while not discarding MacOSX. The idea I've had is to run Linux ...

  1. Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Hello everyone,

    I've got hold of an used powerbook G4, with an HDD as little as 10GB,
    and I'd like to be able to run Linux on it, while not discarding MacOSX.

    The idea I've had is to run Linux from a nfs share which I'd setup on my
    other Linux computer, which would also act as a DHCP and TFTP server.

    The problem is, I'd have to have linux installed on the server already
    for this to work, which is not my case.

    I've been looking around on the net since yesterday to see if anyone had
    solved this issue already, but to no avail. Basically, what I'm looking
    for is a way to install linux over a network, but not locally to the
    machine where the installation program is running, but rather
    *remotely*, to another machine.

    ==CLIENT== ==SERVER==

    Installation Program <--------- Installation Repository

    Install

    \-------------------------> Installed Linux OS

    Run Linux OS <----------------------------/

    The issue here is the installation program: all the ones I know of don't
    let you install on anything else than the local harddrive. Now, if
    there's a distro which lets you install Linux on any filesystem that
    might be already up and running, that would be my distro of choice, even
    if I had to trick it somehow.

    I tried using NBD (network block device), with YellowDog Linux, but the
    partitioning program complained that the kernel wouldn't notice new
    partitions I'd make on the drive, and so bailed out and resetted the
    machine. Looks like EBND (Extended Network Block Device) could be a
    better fit, but the site which would be hosting the code seems do be down.

    The only other option I can think of is to:

    1) Make a temporary backup of the laptop's hdd, by bzip'ing its
    image and sending it over the network to my server (having
    netbooted into linux first, of course).

    2) Install Linux onto the laptop's hdd

    3) Make another HDD image and store it on the server

    4) Bring back the HDD to its original state by using the first HDD
    image

    5) Netboot Linux from the 2nd HDD image, after having set everything
    up on the server accordingly.

    Any suggestions/comments? I'd be surprised if no one has had to tackle
    this issue before me...

    Fabio

  2. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Fabio Alemagna wrote:

    > Any suggestions/comments? I'd be surprised if no one has had to tackle
    > this issue before me...

    http://www.etherboot.org/

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Giovanni wrote:
    > Fabio Alemagna wrote:
    >

    >> Any suggestions/comments? I'd be surprised if no one has had to tackle
    >> this issue before me...
    >>

    > http://www.etherboot.org/

    How does that apply to my case? I am already able to net-boot, what I'm
    not able to do is net-install on the remote machine. Etherboot doesn't
    seem to be of help here, is it?

    Fabio

  4. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Fabio Alemagna wrote:
    > Giovanni wrote:
    >> Fabio Alemagna wrote:
    >>

    >>> Any suggestions/comments? I'd be surprised if no one has had to
    >>> tackle this issue before me...
    >>>

    >> http://www.etherboot.org/

    > How does that apply to my case? I am already able to net-boot, what I'm
    > not able to do is net-install on the remote machine. Etherboot doesn't
    > seem to be of help here, is it?
    >
    > Fabio

    You have to build a disk image for a RAM disk with the tools to start
    the network and to mount remote file systems (nfs or smbfs). I did
    several installations though via floppies. Slackware still provides
    such facility.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  5. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Giovanni wrote:
    > Fabio Alemagna wrote:
    >> Giovanni wrote:

    >>> http://www.etherboot.org/

    >> How does that apply to my case? I am already able to net-boot, what
    >> I'm not able to do is net-install on the remote machine. Etherboot
    >> doesn't seem to be of help here, is it?
    >>
    >> Fabio

    > You have to build a disk image for a RAM disk with the tools to start
    > the network and to mount remote file systems (nfs or smbfs). I did
    > several installations though via floppies. Slackware still provides
    > such facility.

    Perhaps I've not been clear: I *can* boot of the network, what I can't
    do is *install* a *fresh* system on the server. The server is an x86
    machine, the client is a ppc, I need to install a ppc linux distro onto
    the x86 server: how to do it?

    Fabio

  6. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    In comp.os.linux.setup Fabio Alemagna :
    > Hello everyone,

    > I've got hold of an used powerbook G4, with an HDD as little as 10GB,
    > and I'd like to be able to run Linux on it, while not discarding MacOSX.

    > The idea I've had is to run Linux from a nfs share which I'd setup on my
    > other Linux computer, which would also act as a DHCP and TFTP server.

    > The problem is, I'd have to have linux installed on the server already
    > for this to work, which is not my case.

    > I've been looking around on the net since yesterday to see if anyone had
    > solved this issue already, but to no avail. Basically, what I'm looking
    > for is a way to install linux over a network, but not locally to the
    > machine where the installation program is running, but rather
    > *remotely*, to another machine.

    Just run the "powerbook" as thin client from your other Linux
    machine. http://www.ltsp.org/ should have all info how to turn
    you boxes into LTSP server/respective client. You can still run
    local apps if you want/need to get more from the CPU of your
    "powerbook".

    [..]

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 246: It must have been the lightning storm we had
    (yesterday) (last week) (last month)

  7. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:08:34 +0000, Fabio Alemagna wrote:

    > Giovanni wrote:
    >> Fabio Alemagna wrote:

    >>> How does that apply to my case? I am already able to net-boot, what
    >>> I'm not able to do is net-install on the remote machine. Etherboot
    >>> doesn't seem to be of help here, is it?
    >>>
    >>> Fabio

    >> You have to build a disk image for a RAM disk with the tools to start
    >> the network and to mount remote file systems (nfs or smbfs). I did
    >> several installations though via floppies. Slackware still provides
    >> such facility.

    > Perhaps I've not been clear: I *can* boot of the network, what I can't
    > do is *install* a *fresh* system on the server. The server is an x86
    > machine, the client is a ppc, I need to install a ppc linux distro onto
    > the x86 server: how to do it?
    >
    > Fabio

    Roll your own. Cross compile it. See LFS/BLFS

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  8. Re: Installing Linux on a remote machine and *locally* running it

    Baho Utot wrote:
    >> Perhaps I've not been clear: I *can* boot of the network, what I can't
    >> do is *install* a *fresh* system on the server. The server is an x86
    >> machine, the client is a ppc, I need to install a ppc linux distro onto
    >> the x86 server: how to do it?
    >>
    >> Fabio

    > Roll your own. Cross compile it. See LFS/BLFS

    That's certainly not an option. In the worst case, I can simply go ahead
    with the hdd images as described in my original post.

    Fabio

+ Reply to Thread