Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot - Setup ; I've just installed Ubuntu onto a drive that already has Windows on it. My drive has 4 partitions; 1 Windows boot, 1 data drive; 1 Ubuntu drive, 1 swap drive. This drive is using GRUB as the boot loader. Now ...

  1. Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot

    I've just installed Ubuntu onto a drive that already has Windows on it.
    My drive has 4 partitions; 1 Windows boot, 1 data drive; 1 Ubuntu
    drive, 1 swap drive. This drive is using GRUB as the boot loader.

    Now when I boot I never get an option to boot into Windows. I don't
    have any choice. Is there a way that I can reconfig Grub so that I have
    a choice when starting up? My 'df' command shows the following:

    /dev/hda1 40313964 1907084 36358996 5% /
    varrun 225364 80 225284 1% /var/run
    varlock 225364 0 225364 0% /var/lock
    procbususb 10240 132 10108 2% /proc/bus/usb
    udev 10240 132 10108 2% /dev
    devshm 225364 0 225364 0% /dev/shm
    lrm 225364 17580 207784 8%
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile
    /dev/hda2 51207184 9990676 41216508 20% /media/hda2
    /dev/hda3 209423336 56284728 153138608 27% /media/hda3

    I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure how to do any of this.

  2. Re: Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:05:58 -0800, bill.parsons@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've just installed Ubuntu onto a drive that already has Windows on it.
    > My drive has 4 partitions; 1 Windows boot, 1 data drive; 1 Ubuntu
    > drive, 1 swap drive. This drive is using GRUB as the boot loader.
    >
    > Now when I boot I never get an option to boot into Windows. I don't
    > have any choice. Is there a way that I can reconfig Grub so that I have
    > a choice when starting up? My 'df' command shows the following:
    >
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > /dev/hda1 40313964 1907084 36358996 5% /
    > varrun 225364 80 225284 1% /var/run
    > varlock 225364 0 225364 0% /var/lock
    > procbususb 10240 132 10108 2% /proc/bus/usb
    > udev 10240 132 10108 2% /dev
    > devshm 225364 0 225364 0% /dev/shm
    > lrm 225364 17580 207784 8%
    > /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile
    > /dev/hda2 51207184 9990676 41216508 20% /media/hda2
    > /dev/hda3 209423336 56284728 153138608 27% /media/hda3
    >
    > I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure how to do any of this.

    Caveat: I don't use Ubuntu.

    This is pretty easy, if you know which partition Windows is installed on.
    Usually, this is hda1. Ubuntu is using that, so hopefully you haven't
    overwritten it.

    Normally you just add a stanza to grub's configuration file (menu.lst or
    grub.conf):

    #begin menu.lst stanza
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    #end menu.lst stanza

    Check the grub manual here:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

    Here are some basic facts about grub:

    Grub counts disks and partitions starting at 0.
    Grub is not strictly associated with GNU/Linux. It can load other OSs,
    too. As such, it is like a mini OS whose job is to load other OSs.

    The thread (there are multiple messages in the thread) referenced below
    includes installation advice and includes a description for the rules for
    disc partitioning in the PC world. It gives general advice of how I like
    to proceed with a new system:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....368ec45a590e60

    (The above thread discusses Suse. Do to recent events, I would select
    another distribution for personal political reasons.)

    --
    Ripley: And you let him in.
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/quotes

  3. Re: Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot

    Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I added that stanza to the
    grub "menu.lst" file I got the following error: "Error while parsing
    number"

    Also, my Windows system is on the 2nd partition, not the 1st. I think
    that makes a difference. The Windows is on hda2.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:05:58 -0800, bill.parsons@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I've just installed Ubuntu onto a drive that already has Windows on it.
    > > My drive has 4 partitions; 1 Windows boot, 1 data drive; 1 Ubuntu
    > > drive, 1 swap drive. This drive is using GRUB as the boot loader.
    > >
    > > Now when I boot I never get an option to boot into Windows. I don't
    > > have any choice. Is there a way that I can reconfig Grub so that I have
    > > a choice when starting up? My 'df' command shows the following:
    > >
    > > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > > /dev/hda1 40313964 1907084 36358996 5% /
    > > varrun 225364 80 225284 1% /var/run
    > > varlock 225364 0 225364 0% /var/lock
    > > procbususb 10240 132 10108 2% /proc/bus/usb
    > > udev 10240 132 10108 2% /dev
    > > devshm 225364 0 225364 0% /dev/shm
    > > lrm 225364 17580 207784 8%
    > > /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile
    > > /dev/hda2 51207184 9990676 41216508 20% /media/hda2
    > > /dev/hda3 209423336 56284728 153138608 27% /media/hda3
    > >
    > > I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure how to do any of this.
    > >

    > Caveat: I don't use Ubuntu.
    >
    > This is pretty easy, if you know which partition Windows is installed on.
    > Usually, this is hda1. Ubuntu is using that, so hopefully you haven't
    > overwritten it.
    >
    > Normally you just add a stanza to grub's configuration file (menu.lst or
    > grub.conf):
    >
    > #begin menu.lst stanza
    > title Windows
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    > #end menu.lst stanza
    >
    > Check the grub manual here:
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
    >
    > Here are some basic facts about grub:
    >
    > Grub counts disks and partitions starting at 0.
    > Grub is not strictly associated with GNU/Linux. It can load other OSs,
    > too. As such, it is like a mini OS whose job is to load other OSs.
    >
    > The thread (there are multiple messages in the thread) referenced below
    > includes installation advice and includes a description for the rules for
    > disc partitioning in the PC world. It gives general advice of how I like
    > to proceed with a new system:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....368ec45a590e60
    >
    > (The above thread discusses Suse. Do to recent events, I would select
    > another distribution for personal political reasons.)
    >
    > --
    > Ripley: And you let him in.
    > http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/quotes

  4. Re: Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot

    wrote in message
    news:1163897974.764774.82350@e3g2000cwe.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I added that stanza to the
    > grub "menu.lst" file I got the following error: "Error while parsing
    > number"
    >
    > Also, my Windows system is on the 2nd partition, not the 1st. I think
    > that makes a difference. The Windows is on hda2.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >

    > Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:05:58 -0800, bill.parsons@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've just installed Ubuntu onto a drive that already has Windows on

    it.
    > > > My drive has 4 partitions; 1 Windows boot, 1 data drive; 1 Ubuntu
    > > > drive, 1 swap drive. This drive is using GRUB as the boot loader.
    > > >
    > > > Now when I boot I never get an option to boot into Windows. I don't
    > > > have any choice. Is there a way that I can reconfig Grub so that I

    have
    > > > a choice when starting up? My 'df' command shows the following:
    > > >
    > > > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    > > > /dev/hda1 40313964 1907084 36358996 5% /
    > > > varrun 225364 80 225284 1% /var/run
    > > > varlock 225364 0 225364 0% /var/lock
    > > > procbususb 10240 132 10108 2% /proc/bus/usb
    > > > udev 10240 132 10108 2% /dev
    > > > devshm 225364 0 225364 0% /dev/shm
    > > > lrm 225364 17580 207784 8%
    > > > /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile
    > > > /dev/hda2 51207184 9990676 41216508 20% /media/hda2
    > > > /dev/hda3 209423336 56284728 153138608 27% /media/hda3
    > > >
    > > > I'm new to Linux so I'm not sure how to do any of this.
    > > >

    > > Caveat: I don't use Ubuntu.
    > >
    > > This is pretty easy, if you know which partition Windows is installed

    on.
    > > Usually, this is hda1. Ubuntu is using that, so hopefully you haven't
    > > overwritten it.
    > >
    > > Normally you just add a stanza to grub's configuration file (menu.lst or
    > > grub.conf):
    > >
    > > #begin menu.lst stanza
    > > title Windows
    > > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > > makeactive
    > > chainloader +1
    > > #end menu.lst stanza
    > >
    > > Check the grub manual here:
    > > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
    > >
    > > Here are some basic facts about grub:
    > >
    > > Grub counts disks and partitions starting at 0.
    > > Grub is not strictly associated with GNU/Linux. It can load other OSs,
    > > too. As such, it is like a mini OS whose job is to load other OSs.
    > >
    > > The thread (there are multiple messages in the thread) referenced below
    > > includes installation advice and includes a description for the rules

    for
    > > disc partitioning in the PC world. It gives general advice of how I like
    > > to proceed with a new system:
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....368ec45a590e60
    > >
    > > (The above thread discusses Suse. Do to recent events, I would select
    > > another distribution for personal political reasons.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ripley: And you let him in.
    > > http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/quotes

    First of all, look here, it has enough info on how to fix your problem:
    If not, google boot.ini commands.

    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

    Generically, have the boot.ini point to the second partition so
    Windows will boot.

    Second and I am trying to be kind, your partitions are "goofy"
    for a dual boot Windows/Linux machine. Since I don't know
    the history of this computer, I will go through what I would
    do if I were in front of it.

    1. back up all relevant data for reinstalling later.
    2. use a diag program on the hd to make sure is it good
    3. wipe the drive
    4. install Windows and have it create the first partition where it
    will reside and don't have it take up the whole drive, leave
    enough space to install Linux. If you need to share files between
    Linux and Windows, create a second partition and format it
    FAT32, it does have a file size limit of 4G.
    5. Install other Windows programs as needed.
    6. Once Windows is installed, install Linux with the appropriate
    partitions. Use the Windows loader and don't install GRUP in
    the MBR, install it in the /boot partition. With newer versions
    of Linux this setup part should be a no brainer.
    7. Re-install the data and away you go.

    The above assumes that your motherboard/IDE controller is LBA-48
    compatible. If it is not, then the install configuration is a bit trickier.
    Windows is brain dead when it comes to other os's. It likes to be
    installed in the first partition although it can be installed on others. So
    the easiest install process is to do Windows first and Linux second.
    Windows also likes to assume that it is the only os on the computer.
    Virtualization will change that.

    If you don't want to go through the above, you can edit the boot.ini
    file and change where it points to for the Windows partition but to
    learn the format of that line try google. If that doesn't work, repost.

  5. Re: Ubuntu and Windows dual-boot

    bill.parsons@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I added that stanza to the
    > grub "menu.lst" file I got the following error: "Error while parsing
    > number"

    You've probably got an "oh" instead of a zero.

    > Also, my Windows system is on the 2nd partition, not the 1st. I think
    > that makes a difference. The Windows is on hda2.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    In that case you need

    #begin menu.lst stanza
    title Windows