linux and usb audio (OT??) - Setup

This is a discussion on linux and usb audio (OT??) - Setup ; Feeling cheesed off with the "market leader" and keen on avoiding the vistas to come, and having found that my current other choice, freebsd, while ace for many things, has problems with midi and with booting off usb devices, I've ...

  1. linux and usb audio (OT??)

    Feeling cheesed off with the "market leader" and keen on avoiding the
    vistas to come, and having found that my current other choice, freebsd,
    while ace for many things, has problems with midi and with booting off
    usb devices, I've been hunting round linux distros for something that
    will be vaguely windows-like (to keep the family happy), run "out of the
    the box" on my wireless laptop and - /most/ importantly - offer decent
    audio facilities via usb (why, oh why, are the standard mic inputs
    always mono? :-( )

    Ubuntu (or is that kubuntu?) is the closest after trying several
    flavours of *bsd and linux. But I'm still stumped with the audio/midi.
    Can anyone recommend usb sound/midi h/ware that has some sort of support
    under any form of linux? The field seems a nightmare of incomplete and
    sometimes misleading information. I just need something to provide midi
    i/o, and stereo sound (duplexed) at CD quality - and without costing the
    earth!

    I'd be very grateful for either concrete ideas or pointers to concise
    summaries of what's around. Thanks.

    various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
    Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

  2. Re: linux and usb audio (OT??)

    Mike Scott wrote:
    > Feeling cheesed off with the "market leader" and keen on avoiding the
    > vistas to come, and having found that my current other choice, freebsd,
    > while ace for many things, has problems with midi and with booting off
    > usb devices, I've been hunting round linux distros for something that
    > will be vaguely windows-like (to keep the family happy), run "out of the
    > the box" on my wireless laptop and - /most/ importantly - offer decent
    > audio facilities via usb (why, oh why, are the standard mic inputs
    > always mono? :-( )

    > Ubuntu (or is that kubuntu?) is the closest after trying several
    > flavours of *bsd and linux. But I'm still stumped with the audio/midi.
    > Can anyone recommend usb sound/midi h/ware that has some sort of support
    > under any form of linux? The field seems a nightmare of incomplete and
    > sometimes misleading information. I just need something to provide midi
    > i/o, and stereo sound (duplexed) at CD quality - and without costing the
    > earth!

    > I'd be very grateful for either concrete ideas or pointers to concise
    > summaries of what's around. Thanks.

    Redhat is making the most money. Redhat has the most professionals working on
    linus. Redhat has the best distribution. However it is best in their viewpoint
    which may not be yours.

    As for midi and such support the last RH newsletter had an article on how to do
    that.

    No distribution has a perfect answer to any need. But most users do not have a
    clear idea of what they need in the first place. Go install something, dig in,
    and see what you get from it.

    --
    If the Islamics were fascists we would have won in July 2006.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3703

  3. Re: linux and usb audio (OT??)

    In comp.os.linux.setup Mike Scott :
    > Feeling cheesed off with the "market leader" and keen on avoiding the
    > vistas to come, and having found that my current other choice, freebsd,
    > while ace for many things, has problems with midi and with booting off
    > usb devices, I've been hunting round linux distros for something that
    > will be vaguely windows-like (to keep the family happy), run "out of the
    > the box" on my wireless laptop and - /most/ importantly - offer decent
    > audio facilities via usb (why, oh why, are the standard mic inputs
    > always mono? :-( )

    I'd suggest to take a look at Fedora Core, the community version
    of RH (http://fedora.redhat.com/). AFAIK FC 6 is recent, I have
    one box here running FC since FC2 to FC5 now. Any hardware,
    anything USB (including audio) plugged into the machine just
    works with no user interaction required. Did install FC5 on some
    recent laptop (FSC iirc) lately, any hardware including wireless
    lan was picked up on install and setup automatically.

    Just be sure to run 'yum update' after installing and run it from
    time to time, there is a cron job that can automate this for you,
    if 24/7 online.

    A few tricks to get the most out of FC6 with the least effort,
    especially to get around some problems with audio (mp3) not
    working out of the box, due to license problems:

    http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc6-tips.php
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 335: the AA battery in the wallclock sends
    magnetic interference

+ Reply to Thread