Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-) - Setup

This is a discussion on Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-) - Setup ; Hi all, I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07 Unfortunately, it is also reporting CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and ...

  1. Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    Hi all,

    I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as

    (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07

    Unfortunately, it is also reporting

    CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled

    I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable
    HT.

    uname -a reports

    Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686
    GNU/Linux

    so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core. Is
    there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)? Am I going to have
    to recompile the kernel? Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which
    does not have HT enabled? Enquiring minds want to know :-)

    TIA -

    Kind regards,
    jh

  2. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    jared wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as
    >
    > (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07
    >
    > Unfortunately, it is also reporting
    >
    > CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
    >

    > I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable
    > HT.
    >
    > uname -a reports
    >
    > Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686
    > GNU/Linux
    >

    > so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core. Is
    > there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)? Am I going to have
    > to recompile the kernel? Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which
    > does not have HT enabled? Enquiring minds want to know :-)
    >
    > TIA -
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > jh

    According to Intel's web site the Pentium D's (a/k/a Pentium 4 - the
    one's before the Core series) don't have HyperThreading. See
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...um_d/specs.htm

  3. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    jared wrote:

    > Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's
    > which does not have HT enabled?

    Yes, most of them except Pentium Extreme Edition models 840, 955 and
    965, and Xeon 50xx and 7xxx models.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  4. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    jared wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Dual Core P4

    No you don't, there is no such thing. You either have a Pentium D or a
    Pentium Extreme.

    > , which dmesg reports as
    >
    > (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07

    The 2.66GHz suggests to me that you have a Pentium D 805.

    > Unfortunately, it is also reporting
    >
    > CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled

    Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

  5. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    In comp.os.linux.misc Chris wrote:

    : Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

    By an existence proof, I would suggest that you are in error.

    ( I'm typing this message in on a dual dual-core hyperthreaded
    3.2 GHz machine. )

    regards

    Stan
    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  6. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    Chris wrote:
    > jared wrote:

    >> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
    >>

    > Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

    Hopefully none will, as HT is just intels experiment to move from single core
    to dual core, so using HT is a step backward.

    //Aho

  7. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    Chris wrote:
    > jared wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have a Dual Core P4

    > No you don't, there is no such thing. You either have a Pentium D or a
    > Pentium Extreme.
    >
    >> , which dmesg reports as
    >>
    >> (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07

    > The 2.66GHz suggests to me that you have a Pentium D 805.
    >
    >> Unfortunately, it is also reporting
    >>
    >> CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled
    >>

    > Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

    You might be interested in viewing
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...umXE/index.htm

    Intel has at least three chips out with dual-core ht.

    Doug

  8. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > No dual core cpu currently supports HT.

    Doesn't the Pentium Extreme Edition support it?

    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1797/

    This first Intel dual core processor is essentially two Prescott dies
    grafted together. Each core has its own, separate 1 MB L2 cache, while the
    two cores share an interface to the front side bus. Intel will offer two
    product lines, the Pentium Extreme Edition and the Pentium D. The former has
    HyperThreading capability, giving it four logical cores, while the latter
    does not.

    - Oliver

  9. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    I looked it up and confirm that I do indeed have a Pentium D. Thank
    you one and all!

  10. Re: Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)

    stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc Chris wrote:
    >
    > : Indeed. No dual core cpu currently supports HT.
    >
    > By an existence proof, I would suggest that you are in error.
    >
    > ( I'm typing this message in on a dual dual-core hyperthreaded
    > 3.2 GHz machine. )

    Apologies. I'd forgotten about the Xeons

+ Reply to Thread