Ubuntu confusion? - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu confusion? - Setup ; OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site, downloaded it, and successfully ...

  1. Ubuntu confusion?

    OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step
    in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu

    A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site,
    downloaded it, and successfully installed it on Virtual Server.
    Everything seemed ok.

    Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is
    there something else I need to do or, moreso, a place I can go to get
    some beginner training of this?

    THANK YOU FOLKS!

  2. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Jay wrote:
    > OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step
    > in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu
    >
    > A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site,
    > downloaded it, and successfully installed it on Virtual Server.
    > Everything seemed ok.
    >
    > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.
    >
    > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is
    > there something else I need to do or, moreso, a place I can go to get
    > some beginner training of this?
    >
    > THANK YOU FOLKS!

    You might try typing startx
    This is supposed to start your xwindows.
    Somewhere you can change things so it will right to an xwindows login.
    I don't have ubuntu installed so I can't be sure of things but most
    linux versions operate this way.

  3. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Thanks for your reply Leo. I appreciate that.

    Tried that, and "sudo startx" and no luck...

    Leo wrote:
    > Jay wrote:
    > > OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step
    > > in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu
    > >
    > > A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site,
    > > downloaded it, and successfully installed it on Virtual Server.
    > > Everything seemed ok.
    > >
    > > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.
    > >
    > > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is
    > > there something else I need to do or, moreso, a place I can go to get
    > > some beginner training of this?
    > >
    > > THANK YOU FOLKS!
    > >

    > You might try typing startx
    > This is supposed to start your xwindows.
    > Somewhere you can change things so it will right to an xwindows login.
    > I don't have ubuntu installed so I can't be sure of things but most
    > linux versions operate this way.

  4. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Jay wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply Leo. I appreciate that.
    >
    > Tried that, and "sudo startx" and no luck...
    >
    > Leo wrote:
    >> Jay wrote:
    >>> OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step
    >>> in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu
    >>>
    >>> A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site,
    >>> downloaded it, and successfully installed it on Virtual Server.
    >>> Everything seemed ok.
    >>>
    >>> Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    >>> and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    >>> through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.
    >>>
    >>> Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is
    >>> there something else I need to do or, moreso, a place I can go to get
    >>> some beginner training of this?
    >>>
    >>> THANK YOU FOLKS!
    >>>

    >> You might try typing startx
    >> This is supposed to start your xwindows.
    >> Somewhere you can change things so it will right to an xwindows login.
    >> I don't have ubuntu installed so I can't be sure of things but most
    >> linux versions operate this way.

    If you get an error message it might mean that xorg.conf is wrong.
    You can edit it by typing:
    xorgconfig
    But before doing that you should have a list of your video card and
    monitor. Type:
    lspci and that will show your hardware.
    I usually reboot after editing xorg.conf as I think your computer will
    have to re read the xorg.conf file before the changes are used.

  5. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:26:41 -0800, Jay wrote:

    > OK go easy on me because I am a Microsoft person; but taking a big step
    > in trying to figure out Linux Ubuntu
    >
    > A friend recommended this Ubuntu to me. So I went to the site,
    > downloaded it, and successfully installed it on Virtual Server.
    > Everything seemed ok.
    >
    > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.
    >
    > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is
    > there something else I need to do or, moreso, a place I can go to get
    > some beginner training of this?
    >
    > THANK YOU FOLKS!

    Login as root and then init 5

    If that works and you have a GUI login screen then change the line
    /etc/inittab from:

    id:3:initdefault:

    to:

    id:5:initdefault:

    Otherwise xorg is not setup properly.

    Are you running Ubuntu under vmware?

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  6. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    In article <1163611601.365330.9570@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>, Jay wrote:
    > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    It's not a DOS prompt, it's a shell prompt. :-)

    > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is

    Did you happen to install the server version of Ubuntu? If so it does
    not come with a GUI. Check and make sure you are using the desktop
    edition.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  7. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    I think you got it right. I assumed to install the server piece and get
    something like Windows Server 2000/2003.

    I'll blow the disk away and try the desktop piece.

    Thanks

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article <1163611601.365330.9570@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>, Jay wrote:
    > > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    > It's not a DOS prompt, it's a shell prompt. :-)
    >
    > > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based? Is

    > Did you happen to install the server version of Ubuntu? If so it does
    > not come with a GUI. Check and make sure you are using the desktop
    > edition.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Blake
    > (Subtract 10 for email.)

  8. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Jay writes:
    > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass through
    > and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    That's a shell prompt. You somehow managed to get through the installation
    without installing any GUI. I suggest that you read the installation
    instructions carefully and then reinstall.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  9. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Right shell prompt. Shell prompt. I got it, it's a shell prompt.

    Shellllll prommmmpt....

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Jay writes:
    > > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass through
    > > and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    > That's a shell prompt. You somehow managed to get through the installation
    > without installing any GUI. I suggest that you read the installation
    > instructions carefully and then reinstall.
    > --
    > John Hasler
    > john@dhh.gt.org
    > Dancing Horse Hill
    > Elmwood, WI USA

  10. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Installation went extremely well. Nice operating system.

    Does anyone know the commands/options to get yourself out of the
    WORKGROUP domain and into a specific-named domain? I'd like to see what
    happens if you try.

    Thanks.

    Jay wrote:
    > Right shell prompt. Shell prompt. I got it, it's a shell prompt.
    >
    > Shellllll prommmmpt....
    >
    > John Hasler wrote:
    > > Jay writes:
    > > > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > > > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass through
    > > > and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    > > That's a shell prompt. You somehow managed to get through the installation
    > > without installing any GUI. I suggest that you read the installation
    > > instructions carefully and then reinstall.
    > > --
    > > John Hasler
    > > john@dhh.gt.org
    > > Dancing Horse Hill
    > > Elmwood, WI USA

  11. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Jay did eloquently scribble:
    > Then I booted it up and I see the "Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS MachineName tty1"
    > and I get prompted with a login. I enter my credentials and pass
    > through and then I'm at a DOS prompt.

    bash prompt. We use GOOD shells in linux.

    > Now is this right? I thought this was windows-like/windows-based?

    It has a windows based setup, but for some reason you selected not to start
    it at install.

    What happens if you type
    startx

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  12. Re: Ubuntu confusion?

    Jay did eloquently scribble:
    > Thanks for your reply Leo. I appreciate that.

    > Tried that, and "sudo startx" and no luck...

    What happened?
    Startx does report errors, and people are never able to help unless you
    actually tell them what the messages were.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |