Linux RH9 installation problem - Setup

This is a discussion on Linux RH9 installation problem - Setup ; Dear all, I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion ze5200. However there is a big problem. I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and the kernel was up. Then ...

  1. Linux RH9 installation problem

    Dear all,

    I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    the kernel was up. Then the system
    dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    interface, where the system was
    "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    do was turn off the power.

    I tried text installation mode, and some other mode (kernel mode and
    even rescue mode), the system always
    had the same problem.

    I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    old desktop.

    So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop? Any advice is very
    welcome.

    Sincerely yours
    Charlie

  2. Re: Linux RH9 installation problem

    xqma2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    > ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    > I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    > the kernel was up. Then the system
    > dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    > interface, where the system was
    > "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    > do was turn off the power.

    > I tried text installation mode, and some other mode (kernel mode and
    > even rescue mode), the system always
    > had the same problem.

    > I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    > from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    > also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    > old desktop.

    > So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop? Any advice is very
    > welcome.

    There is likely no answer to this.

    You have a distribution older than the laptop.

    Laptops are not the same as desktops. They are strange beasts in their innards.

    For example today there is a standarization on how to address LCD displays. A
    few years ago there was not and each laptop did their own thing. It is not
    reasonable to expect RH9 to have a driver for a newer laptop.

    The best advice is to get a more recent release preferably FC6.

    --
    The lament over the lack of savings by Americans only means Americans are
    smart. Inflation plus taxes on interest means saving money is losing money.

  3. Re: Linux RH9 installation problem

    On 2006-11-15, xqma2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    > ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    Hummm... maybe a newer distribution would have a better chance.

    > dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver"

    You could try the 'nousb' option that will not load any usb/firewire
    driver.

    > I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    > from redhat, and it was successful.

    Then use a non-redhat one.

    > So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop?

    If the nousb option doesn't work I'd try with a newer distribution,
    check on www.linux-laptop.net if there are quirks on your specific
    brand/model. There is a specific reason why you need RedHat and that
    specific version? Otherwise I'd say don't use RH9.

    Davide

    --
    What a beautiful image - Gartner wonks piled high on a burning bush,
    screaming that "maybe IIS isn't so good after all" and "our statistics

  4. Re: Linux RH9 installation problem

    Thanks. The reason why I install RH9 is simply that I have a set of
    burned CDs at hand. But I will follow your suggestion and install FC
    instead.

    Many thanks
    Charlie

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > xqma2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    > > ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    > > I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    > > the kernel was up. Then the system
    > > dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    > > interface, where the system was
    > > "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    > > do was turn off the power.

    > > I tried text installation mode, and some other mode (kernel mode and
    > > even rescue mode), the system always
    > > had the same problem.

    > > I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    > > from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    > > also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    > > old desktop.

    > > So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop? Any advice is very
    > > welcome.

    > There is likely no answer to this.
    >
    > You have a distribution older than the laptop.
    >
    > Laptops are not the same as desktops. They are strange beasts in their innards.
    >
    > For example today there is a standarization on how to address LCD displays. A
    > few years ago there was not and each laptop did their own thing. It is not
    > reasonable to expect RH9 to have a driver for a newer laptop.
    >
    > The best advice is to get a more recent release preferably FC6.
    >
    > --
    > The lament over the lack of savings by Americans only means Americans are
    > smart. Inflation plus taxes on interest means saving money is losing money.
    > For every dollar you save you lose at least 10%.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3700
    > nizkor http://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
    > Old Testament http://www.giwersworld.org/bible/ot.phtml a6

  5. Re: Linux RH9 installation problem

    xqma2003@yahoo.com did eloquently scribble:
    > Dear all,

    > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    > ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    > I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    > the kernel was up. Then the system
    > dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    > interface, where the system was
    > "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    > do was turn off the power.

    How old is this laptop?
    Because redhat 9???? That's been obsolete for over 3 years now.
    Try installing windows 95 on a modern machine. I think you catch my drift.

    You need a more up to date distro. Try Fedora 6 (fedora 1 was the first fork
    off redhat 9, so it goes to show how far you are behind)

    > I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    > from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    > also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    > old desktop.

    > So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop? Any advice is very
    > welcome.

    My advice... Don't.
    Is there any reason you WANT to install a dead distribution that's been out
    of date for 3 years?

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |