LVM multiple distros and multiple drives. How-to? - Setup

This is a discussion on LVM multiple distros and multiple drives. How-to? - Setup ; I've got more hard drive space than I know what to do with. Presently I have 4 identical hard drives (Maxtor SATA - 250 GB) My mobo is an ASUS A8V Deluxe (VIA K8T800Pro Chipset). The mobo has two SATA ...

  1. LVM multiple distros and multiple drives. How-to?

    I've got more hard drive space than I know what to do with.

    Presently I have 4 identical hard drives (Maxtor SATA - 250 GB)

    My mobo is an ASUS A8V Deluxe (VIA K8T800Pro Chipset).

    The mobo has two SATA controllers. A VIA VT6420 and a FastTrack
    PDC20378. Each controller has two SATA ports.

    I've got two drives connected to each controller.

    So basically I've close to 1TB of hard disk space. It's more than I
    know what to do with. But the problem is I've been only able to utilize
    a fraction of it because I can't get partitioning right.

    Right now I've got Windows XP on one drive. I have two partitions on
    that drive. The 2nd partition is formatted ext3. I'd like to use it to
    share files between Linux and Windows (utilizing extfs for Windows -
    http://fs-driver.org/). Windows recognizes the drive. Linux doesn't
    (or if it does, I can't tell what device node it's assigned to it - the
    drive hasn't automounted).

    On the 2nd (or 3rd depending on whom you're talking to) drive I have 3
    NTFS partitions. The first one I've got Windows Vista installed on. The
    2nd and 3rd have nothing on them at this point.

    On the 3rd (or 2nd depending on whom you're "talking to") I've got
    Fedora Core 6

    On the 4th (or 1st depending on whom you're "talking to") I've got
    Ubuntu 6.10.

    Now somehow I managed to get Fedora's setup wizard to split the drive
    into two partitions. One with LVM, the other without. And I installed
    Fedora in LVM. It took a *lot* of juggling around to figure out how to
    do this. Just don't ask me to explain how I did it. I have no idea. I'd
    not been able to repeat it on previous attempts.

    After installing Fedora I installed Ubuntu. I wanted to get it on the
    same drive as Fedora, but that wasn't meant to be. No matter how I
    tried, it wasn't going to work. So, I installed it on the last
    remaining drive with no OS on it.

    Every Linux distro I've used seems to read the same 4 drives
    differently. What one says is /dev/sda the other says is /dev/sdc. U
    don't get that. Linux is Linux is it not?

    My only guess is that I'm only going to be able to use LVM with one
    Linux distro and any others will have to use normal partitioning if they
    are to share the same drive. If that's not true, I'd love to be able to
    figure out how two squeeze two (or more?) distros on one drive all using
    LVM.

    I've got freshly burned Gentoo, OpenSUSE, FreeBSD and Solaris DVDs
    sitting here also.... ready to be installed. But I'm afraid to tackle
    them till I can at least get my previous situation straightened out.

    Yes I know you're thinking "why does this fool want to do all this?"
    Why? Because I can (hopefully). That's why I have 1 TB of hard drive
    space.....

    At this point I'm using barely over 250GB (in other words nearly the
    equivalent of 3 out of my 4 drives is empty).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Scott
    http://angrykeyboarder.com

    --
    Scott
    http://angrykeyboarder.com
    © 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved

  2. Re: LVM multiple distros and multiple drives. How-to?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 at 04:05 GMT, Scott eloquently wrote:
    [a nice rant about all the HD space he has, how it is is used...]

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    I am kinda the same boat as you, only with less HD space and one less
    drive. I have installed FC3,4,5,6, CentOS4.x, FreeBSD 6.x & openSUSE 10.1.
    No windows on that machine. What I would do in your case is completely
    reconfigure. Put WinXP & Vista on one drive. If your BIOS can set the
    order of drives set the Windows drive there as the first drive. I would
    also create a FAT32 partition on this drive to share data between Windows
    and Linux. I have not used the software you mentioned to read ext3 drives.

    I would then partition one drive into 10-20GiB chunks to install various
    Linux distros in. I just use one partition for each install I do. This
    generally comes in under 6GiB, so you will still have space to play. The
    third drive I would use for data. I have a downloads partition that stores
    the ISOs I dl, all tarbols and RPMs for the various distros I use. In your
    case, you can store all the Linux stuff you dl there. The last drive I would
    use for FreeBSD and Solaris. I guess 20-25GiB each should be fine depending
    on what you use FreeBSD and Solaris for.

    The main problem I see is booting. I use grub and it works for me. I
    chainload FreeBSD to boot that. I cannot give any advice about Solaris.
    Grub will Windows fine. LVM is not in use here. You could also use XEN...

    HTH
    N.Emile...
    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'