sendmail hanging - Setup

This is a discussion on sendmail hanging - Setup ; Hi, I installed FC6, after dealing with the wrong kernel issue, all is well now. Dual boot, BTW. One thing that irritates me is that my host name is localhost.localdomain, whereas in WinXP I give it a machine name of ...

  1. sendmail hanging

    Hi,

    I installed FC6, after dealing with the wrong kernel issue, all is
    well now. Dual boot, BTW.

    One thing that irritates me is that my host name is
    localhost.localdomain, whereas in WinXP I give it a machine name of
    Terra. Looks crappy on the home network (all Windows 'cept me) Linux
    never really asks you your desired machine (or host) name during a
    standard installation I've noticed, or it could be I'm too stupid to
    see the question when it asks, dunno.

    Anyhoo, tinkering around in KDEs Control Center, I changed the host
    name to Terra, and used my ISPs domain .com (<--thats
    not its real name, of course). Now sendmail and sm-client hangs like a
    bitch.

    How can I fix this? Can't remember how it was before, to reset it all.
    Or, is there something I need to tell a sendmail config file
    somewhere?

  2. Re: sendmail hanging

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:49:47 -0600, dotcom wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed FC6, after dealing with the wrong kernel issue, all is
    > well now. Dual boot, BTW.
    >
    > One thing that irritates me is that my host name is
    > localhost.localdomain, whereas in WinXP I give it a machine name of
    > Terra. Looks crappy on the home network (all Windows 'cept me) Linux
    > never really asks you your desired machine (or host) name during a
    > standard installation I've noticed, or it could be I'm too stupid to
    > see the question when it asks, dunno.

    You have not looked too hard for it have you. It's right there in the
    network setup, Did you notice the DHCP thingie?

    > Anyhoo, tinkering around in KDEs Control Center, I changed the host
    > name to Terra, and used my ISPs domain .com (<--thats
    > not its real name, of course). Now sendmail and sm-client hangs like a
    > bitch.

    Yes you broke it!
    Whats /etc/hosts say?
    Whats /etc/sysconfig/network say?

    You set the host name in /etc/sysconfig/network and you will
    need to place host name into /etc/hosts.

    > How can I fix this? Can't remember how it was before, to reset it all.
    > Or, is there something I need to tell a sendmail config file
    > somewhere?

    Keep on going and you will really have it borked up mess.
    I suggest you have a look at networking, Linux/Unix style, not the borked
    ms way.

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: sendmail hanging

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:06:00 GMT, Baho Utot
    wrote:
    Bingo! That did it. Thank you! Salamat Po!

    >You have not looked too hard for it have you. It's right there in the
    >network setup, Did you notice the DHCP thingie?

    Well, actauly I have notice that area. I choose automatic rather than
    static. I've found my ISP's DNS servers change up now and then. When
    automatic is selected, you get no more choices to enter anything else.

    >> Anyhoo, tinkering around in KDEs Control Center, I changed the host
    >> name to Terra, and used my ISPs domain .com (<--thats
    >> not its real name, of course). Now sendmail and sm-client hangs like a
    >> bitch.
    >>

    >Yes you broke it!
    >Whats /etc/hosts say?
    >Whats /etc/sysconfig/network say?
    >
    >You set the host name in /etc/sysconfig/network and you will
    >need to place host name into /etc/hosts.
    >
    >> How can I fix this? Can't remember how it was before, to reset it all.
    >> Or, is there something I need to tell a sendmail config file
    >> somewhere?

    >Keep on going and you will really have it borked up mess.
    >I suggest you have a look at networking, Linux/Unix style, not the borked
    >ms way.

    Why, oh why would KDE allow you to change things like this in the
    Control Center, without changing anything else that makes it right
    for the system. That's just stupid. I hate KDE.

    I will look into Linux/Unix networking. But, one step at a time. Linux
    is not an easy thing to master right away, but I'm determined, and I
    am trying!

  4. Re: sendmail hanging

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:34:05 -0600, dotcom wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:06:00 GMT, Baho Utot
    > wrote:
    > Bingo! That did it. Thank you! Salamat Po!

    Hoy

    See, that was easy.

    >>You have not looked too hard for it have you. It's right there in the
    >>network setup, Did you notice the DHCP thingie?
    >>

    > Well, actauly I have notice that area. I choose automatic rather than
    > static. I've found my ISP's DNS servers change up now and then. When
    > automatic is selected, you get no more choices to enter anything else.

    Then run your own caching DNS server, it's not hard. You can try
    http://www.google.com/linux and search there.

    >>> Anyhoo, tinkering around in KDEs Control Center, I changed the host
    >>> name to Terra, and used my ISPs domain .com (<--thats
    >>> not its real name, of course). Now sendmail and sm-client hangs like a
    >>> bitch.
    >>>

    >>Yes you broke it!
    >>Whats /etc/hosts say?
    >>Whats /etc/sysconfig/network say?
    >>
    >>You set the host name in /etc/sysconfig/network and you will
    >>need to place host name into /etc/hosts.
    >>
    >>> How can I fix this? Can't remember how it was before, to reset it all.
    >>> Or, is there something I need to tell a sendmail config file
    >>> somewhere?

    >>Keep on going and you will really have it borked up mess.
    >>I suggest you have a look at networking, Linux/Unix style, not the borked
    >>ms way.

    > Why, oh why would KDE allow you to change things like this in the
    > Control Center, without changing anything else that makes it right
    > for the system. That's just stupid. I hate KDE.

    No, I use KDE. Just learn the command line and where and how things are
    configured, it's much easier that way. vim is your friend

    Ok,Ok, goto http://www.tldp.org Lots of Howtos there.

    --
    Dancin' in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  5. Re: sendmail hanging

    In article ,
    wrote:

    >One thing that irritates me is that my host name is
    >localhost.localdomain,

    Try editing /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts

    --
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/

+ Reply to Thread