    unfortunately I dont know how to
    fix this problem .. Please help me.

  2. Re: GDM login problem

    On 2006-11-11, onkar wrote:
    > During login I get this message :
    > "GDM could not write to your authorization file.this could mean that
    > you are out of disk space
    > or that your home directory could not be opend for writing.In any case
    > it is not possible to log in...."
    >

    > I have plenty of free disk space ..

    Where is that disk space? Is it in partition containing the user's
    home directory?

    > I have root access and I can login to root without any problem ..
    > unfortunately I dont know how to fix this problem

    Does the user's home directory belong to the user?

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  3. Re: GDM login problem

    Yeal, today I have this problem, and now i solved it.
    i ran the command "rm -rf /tmp/*",then coursed the problem.
    to repair it, you can just update your system with the
    system-install-CD,
    chose "update",wait,then you can repair it.
    Note: NOT INSTALL,but the UPDATE,
    then your should update your system from internet once more to the
    newest version.
    and maybe remove some software first.

    forgive my poor English and you can E-mail me about this problem.

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2006-11-11, onkar wrote:
    > > During login I get this message :
    > > "GDM could not write to your authorization file.this could mean that
    > > you are out of disk space
    > > or that your home directory could not be opend for writing.In any case
    > > it is not possible to log in...."
    > >

    > > I have plenty of free disk space ..

    > Where is that disk space? Is it in partition containing the user's
    > home directory?
    >
    > > I have root access and I can login to root without any problem ..
    > > unfortunately I dont know how to fix this problem

    > Does the user's home directory belong to the user?
    >
    > --
    > Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    > Shell Scripting Recipes: | My code in this post, if any,
    > A Problem-Solution Approach | is released under the
    > 2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: GDM login problem

    My solution was to change ownership and permissions on /tmp. The
    settings apparently got changed when the system was booted to "linux
    rescue".

    Here is a cut-and-paste of part of my session:
    bash-3.2# ls -ld /tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 6 avahi-autoipd users 4096 Nov 4 09:42 /tmp
    bash-3.2# chown root.root /tmp
    bash-3.2# chmod 1777 /tmp
    bash-3.2# ls -ld /tmp
    drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 Nov 4 09:42 /tmp
    bash-3.2#

    After this, I was able to log in with my non-root account.

+ Reply to Thread