Installing new Linux from Windows or Ubuntu w/o CD or FDD - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing new Linux from Windows or Ubuntu w/o CD or FDD - Setup ; Background: Slightly old ThinkPad with a relatively small HDD, but no CD or FDD. It originally cross-booted between Windows XP and DOS, and now is configured with a triple boot of Ubuntu Dapper Drake, Windows, and DOS. However the Ubuntu ...

  1. Installing new Linux from Windows or Ubuntu w/o CD or FDD

    Background: Slightly old ThinkPad with a relatively small HDD, but no
    CD or FDD. It originally cross-booted between Windows XP and DOS, and
    now is configured with a triple boot of Ubuntu Dapper Drake, Windows,
    and DOS. However the Ubuntu partition is too small and cramped, so I
    was thinking of redoing it with Mandriva (which will include some
    exposure to KDE and another non-Debian environment). (I was using
    Fedora Core 5, but it didn't seem any better than Ubuntu, and
    especially didn't have any advantages for required disk space.)

    Question: What's the easiest approach from here. I feel like it would
    be a network installation from the existing Windows or Ubuntu, but so
    far all the descriptions I've seen seem to require a FDD (or CD). I
    have a bootable machine, and even a bootable Linux, but...

  2. Re: Installing new Linux from Windows or Ubuntu w/o CD or FDD

    Shannon.Jacobs.nospam writes:
    > However the Ubuntu partition is too small and cramped...

    What is preventing you from making room by removing packages you don't
    need? (Assuming you are unwilling or unable to delete or shrink one of the
    other partitions)
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: Installing new Linux from Windows or Ubuntu w/o CD or FDD

    wrote in message
    > news:1163122587.269942.50730@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Background: Slightly old ThinkPad with a relatively small HDD, but no
    > CD or FDD. It originally cross-booted between Windows XP and DOS, and
    > now is configured with a triple boot of Ubuntu Dapper Drake, Windows,
    > and DOS. However the Ubuntu partition is too small and cramped, so I
    > was thinking of redoing it with Mandriva (which will include some
    > exposure to KDE and another non-Debian environment). (I was using
    > Fedora Core 5, but it didn't seem any better than Ubuntu, and
    > especially didn't have any advantages for required disk space.)
    >
    > Question: What's the easiest approach from here. I feel like it would
    > be a network installation from the existing Windows or Ubuntu, but so
    > far all the descriptions I've seen seem to require a FDD (or CD). I
    > have a bootable machine, and even a bootable Linux, but...

    1. If you had another computer and a laptop drive adapter you could
    take the hd out of the laptop and put it in another computer that has
    a floppy and/or cd and update it there and then stick it back in the
    laptop.

    2. Get a bigger hd for the laptop, add the os's to it you want and then
    stick it in the laptop.

    3. Find a FD and usb cdrom for the laptop and boot to the FD with
    usb cdrom driver and install from it.

    4. If the laptop has "PXE" booting capability, build a boot server and
    boot and install from it.

    later.....

+ Reply to Thread