Kppp Wizard Q - Setup

This is a discussion on Kppp Wizard Q - Setup ; Hi I have been trying several Linux programs to find one that will let me gain internet access, no luck so far. Granted, I might need a different modem and am open to suggestions on this score. However, I am ...

  1. Kppp Wizard Q

    Hi I have been trying several Linux programs to find one that will let
    me gain internet access, no luck so far. Granted, I might need a
    different modem and am open to suggestions on this score. However, I am
    wondering why the Kppp wizard doesn't list USA as an option? Terrorist,
    again? It seems a bit odd to me. I don't think I have access to all
    the info that my ATT connection software supplies automatically. For
    example I don't the sequence of events that occur when my software logs
    in. There is more. Probably need a new modem too. Any cheap options
    on a hardware modem or such that you have had good luck with.
    I am currently running Xubuntu but I have collected a variety of discs,
    Kubuntu,Fedora Core5, Knoppix. And I run into the same thing.

    Chris

  2. Re: Kppp Wizard Q

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , chris goback wrote:

    >Hi I have been trying several Linux programs to find one that will let
    >me gain internet access, no luck so far. Granted, I might need a
    >different modem and am open to suggestions on this score.

    See the response to your posting "Re: winmodem on ubuntu, nearly done"
    in the Usenet newsgroup "alt.os.linux" on Wednesday. If you haven't
    found a working driver for the "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with Smart PC"
    (what-ever that is), you really do need to get a hardware modem. They
    do exist.

    >However, I am wondering why the Kppp wizard doesn't list USA as an
    >option? Terrorist, again? It seems a bit odd to me.

    Dialin in the US is getting less common than cable/DSL/wireless.

    >I don't think I have access to all the info that my ATT connection
    >software supplies automatically. For example I don't the sequence of
    >events that occur when my software logs in.

    Several years ago, AT&T had a web page that detailed how to set up
    a Linux box to connect. They had only two unusual quirks. First, they
    were using CHAP-MD5 (RFC1994) rather than the _much_ more common PAP
    (RFC1334). To handle this change, you need only change the name of the
    authorization file from "/etc/ppp/pap-secrets" to "/etc/ppp/chap-secrets".
    The file format (username * password) is exactly the same, so if all else
    fails, you could _duplicate_ the files. I think you were advised to use
    one of the GUI so-called "helper" programs like KPPP or WvDial, both of
    which can be kicked between the eyes into using CHAP.

    The second difference was the username used. While most ISPs in the world
    use just the username (your "From:" says "back@jack.com", so the username
    would be "back"), AT&T used some wonky userid, ('999999@worldnet.att.net'
    as best as I recall) - but you already have that information in your
    windoze setup.

    My notes say:

    http://www.wurd.com/wurd/index.htm has a lot of info on dialers & stuff
    for linux including a step-by-step with screenshots for configuring kppp
    to work with AT&T. http://www.wurd.com/wurd/software/di...linux_kppp.htm
    another reported at http://www.wurd.com/eng/setup/dialers/linux_kppp.htm

    Those may or may not still be reachable.

    >There is more. Probably need a new modem too. Any cheap options
    >on a hardware modem or such that you have had good luck with.

    I can't suggest much, as I no longer see that many advertisements for
    modems. Your best bet is to see what is in the shops, then hit google
    and look up the EXACT make/model along with the word "Linux".

    >I am currently running Xubuntu but I have collected a variety of discs,
    >Kubuntu,Fedora Core5, Knoppix. And I run into the same thing.

    If you don't have the required driver for your software based modem (and
    that driver depends on your distribution and kernel), you simply aren't
    going to connect no matter which distribution you try. Once you have a
    modem that will dial and connect, then any of the distributions should
    work. Just remember that you may need to use CHAP instead of PAP, and to
    use the same "userid" (or whatever it's called) and password as you are
    using in windoze. ppp is an O/S neutral protocol, and it (as well as
    your ISP) doesn't _care_ what O/S you may be trying to use as long as
    it has ppp. Linux does have it.

    Old guy.

  3. Re: Kppp Wizard Q

    Moe Trin wrote:
> [...]

    > modems. Your best bet is to see what is in the shops, then hit google
    > and look up the EXACT make/model along with the word "Linux".
    >
    >> I am currently running Xubuntu but I have collected a variety of discs,
    >> Kubuntu,Fedora Core5, Knoppix. And I run into the same thing.

    > If you don't have the required driver for your software based modem (and
    > that driver depends on your distribution and kernel), you simply aren't
    > going to connect no matter which distribution you try. Once you have a
    > modem that will dial and connect, then any of the distributions should
    > work. Just remember that you may need to use CHAP instead of PAP, and to
    > use the same "userid" (or whatever it's called) and password as you are
    > using in windoze. ppp is an O/S neutral protocol, and it (as well as
    > your ISP) doesn't _care_ what O/S you may be trying to use as long as

    Thanks for your input. I think you have given me some good leads.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread