XP re-install on dual-boot system - Setup

This is a discussion on XP re-install on dual-boot system - Setup ; I have been using a dual-boot system on my laptop for sometime now. I've mostly misgrated to Ubuntu 6.06, but once in a while I have to go back to XP for some things. It looks like I may need ...

  1. XP re-install on dual-boot system

    I have been using a dual-boot system on my laptop for sometime now.
    I've mostly misgrated to Ubuntu 6.06, but once in a while I have to go
    back to XP for some things. It looks like I may need to re-install XP
    due to an svchost error that I can't get rid of (still working on it
    though), has anyone successfully reinstalled Windows XP and kept their
    linux partition working? Everything I've read and how I've always done
    it is install Windows THEN linux. But will re-installing windows wipe
    grub away and lock me out of my linux partition?

  2. Re: XP re-install on dual-boot system

    On 9 Nov 2006 09:03:34 -0800, "FireDrow"
    wrote:

    >I have been using a dual-boot system on my laptop for sometime now.
    >I've mostly misgrated to Ubuntu 6.06, but once in a while I have to go
    >back to XP for some things. It looks like I may need to re-install XP
    >due to an svchost error that I can't get rid of (still working on it
    >though), has anyone successfully reinstalled Windows XP and kept their
    >linux partition working? Everything I've read and how I've always done
    >it is install Windows THEN linux. But will re-installing windows wipe
    >grub away and lock me out of my linux partition?

    A XP reinstall will overwrite the Boot sector, but thats not a big
    deal: start from a LiveCD, Ubuntu itself or Knoppix, and reinstall
    grub.

    I have done it many times.

    Mektub

+ Reply to Thread