Setting Linux DHCP hostnames under Active Directory controlled network - Setup

This is a discussion on Setting Linux DHCP hostnames under Active Directory controlled network - Setup ; I've got several CentOS 4.x Linux boxes being installed in a corporate network. I'd like to be able to set the hostnames via DHCP, but the apparently Active Directory based network management is not acknowledging the "DHCP_HOSTNAME" set names, although ...

  1. Setting Linux DHCP hostnames under Active Directory controlled network

    I've got several CentOS 4.x Linux boxes being installed in a corporate
    network. I'd like to be able to set the hostnames via DHCP, but the
    apparently Active Directory based network management is not
    acknowledging the "DHCP_HOSTNAME" set names, although it seems to work
    fine for Windows based DHCP clients.

    Googling for an answer gets many thousands of hits, most of which are
    pretty confused or confusing. Does anyone know how to do this
    precisely, or have clear instructions? I remember some particular
    setting in the dhclient.conf that involved the MAC address of the port
    in question, but am having difficulty finding a reference.

  2. Re: Setting Linux DHCP hostnames under Active Directory controlled network

    Nico wrote:
    > I've got several CentOS 4.x Linux boxes being installed in a corporate
    > network. I'd like to be able to set the hostnames via DHCP, but the
    > apparently Active Directory based network management is not
    > acknowledging the "DHCP_HOSTNAME" set names, although it seems to work
    > fine for Windows based DHCP clients.
    >
    > Googling for an answer gets many thousands of hits, most of which are
    > pretty confused or confusing. Does anyone know how to do this
    > precisely, or have clear instructions? I remember some particular
    > setting in the dhclient.conf that involved the MAC address of the port
    > in question, but am having difficulty finding a reference.

    I've found some additional notes that "dhcp-client-identifier" in
    /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf and DHCP_HOSTNAME in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 seem to be the keys, but I
    succeeded in getting it working on one machine but not on the other
    that I'm trying it with.

    I'm using the MAC address of the port as the dhcp-client-identifier:
    has anyone else gone through this lately?

+ Reply to Thread