Hi,

I'm using debian/sarge with kernel 2.6.18. I use ALSA and the following
soundcard:

Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1980 at 0xe4000000, irq 17

I can hear sounds, but I can't record anything. The headset works fine
under Windows.

All the alsamixer settings are 100% ok. Mic is enabled and so on.

I guess the only thing that could be wrong is that some how the device
can't be found by the recording programs.

Actually I'm not sure which device is responsible for the microphone.
How can I find this out?

I know that dsp and audio has something to do with it. Here are the
permissions for the two:

l /dev/dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2006-11-08 14:42 /dev/dsp
user@debian:~/$ l /dev/audio
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 4 2006-11-08 14:42 /dev/audio

The user is of course belonging to the group audio.

My question is how do I find out which device is responsible for
recording and which for playing sound? And how can I pipe the one
directly into the other to see if what I speak gets recorded by the
microphone?

Any help is appreciated!

Fritz