Grub boot loader error 21 - Setup

This is a discussion on Grub boot loader error 21 - Setup ; I installed Ubuntu linux on the second hard drive of a Windows machine to make it dual boot. Windows was running on the entire system before, and all drives are IDE. Ubuntu is supposed to have installed the grub boot ...

  1. Grub boot loader error 21

    I installed Ubuntu linux on the second hard drive of a Windows machine
    to make it dual boot. Windows was running on the entire system before,
    and all drives are IDE. Ubuntu is supposed to have installed the grub
    boot loader [on the Master Boot Record, I believe]. But when I reboot
    my machine after the installation, it hangs with a grub message of
    error 21 without being able to boot either OS. I gather that this is
    because grub cannot see one or more of the partitions on the computer.

    In my Bios, here is how the hard drive settings look:

    SATA Primary drive: off
    SATA secondary drive: off
    Primary Master drive: Hard drive
    Primary Slave drive: off
    Secondary Master drive: CD ROM
    Secondary Slave drive: off
    IDE drive: UMDA

    I believe that the second hard disk (the one on which Ubuntu is
    installed) is being called UMDA, which is why grub is having a problem.
    I have no idea why the second drive doesn't show up as Primary or
    Secondary slave drive on BIOS.

    Someone, please throw some light..

    -sd

  2. Re: Grub boot loader error 21

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:34:00 -0800, sd wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu linux on the second hard drive of a Windows machine
    > to make it dual boot. Windows was running on the entire system before,
    > and all drives are IDE. Ubuntu is supposed to have installed the grub
    > boot loader [on the Master Boot Record, I believe]. But when I reboot
    > my machine after the installation, it hangs with a grub message of
    > error 21 without being able to boot either OS. I gather that this is
    > because grub cannot see one or more of the partitions on the computer.
    >
    > In my Bios, here is how the hard drive settings look:
    >
    > SATA Primary drive: off
    > SATA secondary drive: off
    > Primary Master drive: Hard drive
    > Primary Slave drive: off
    > Secondary Master drive: CD ROM
    > Secondary Slave drive: off
    > IDE drive: UMDA
    >
    > I believe that the second hard disk (the one on which Ubuntu is
    > installed) is being called UMDA, which is why grub is having a problem.
    > I have no idea why the second drive doesn't show up as Primary or
    > Secondary slave drive on BIOS.
    >
    > Someone, please throw some light..
    >
    > -sd

    grub can be thought of as a separate mini OS. Its purpose is to act as the
    loader for other OSs. It uses its own nomenclature for drives and
    partitions which is unique to itself.

    Are you sure the BIOS isn't telling you that IDE drives are using _UDMA_,
    not UMDA. UDMA is ultra DMA.

    Question 1: Did you modify your BIOS settings after you installed Ubuntu?

    You may be up against a bit of project to get your system working again.
    You may need to do some homework now, if you omitted this step
    previously. It is important not to panic, though.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Grub boot loader error 21

    > grub can be thought of as a separate mini OS. Its purpose is to act as the
    > loader for other OSs. It uses its own nomenclature for drives and
    > partitions which is unique to itself.
    >
    > Are you sure the BIOS isn't telling you that IDE drives are using _UDMA_,
    > not UMDA. UDMA is ultra DMA.
    >
    > Question 1: Did you modify your BIOS settings after you installed Ubuntu?
    >
    > You may be up against a bit of project to get your system working again.
    > You may need to do some homework now, if you omitted this step
    > previously. It is important not to panic, though.

    Oops.. the second IDE drive shows up on BIOS as UDMA [you're right -
    it's not UMDA - I must have had too much coffee when I wrote last].

    When I saw that the primary slave was off, I turned it on on BIOS. It
    didn't do any magic. So I turned it back off. So the BIOS setting is
    exactly as it was before I installed ubuntu.

    Please advise on what homework needs to be done. I can't wait to get my
    system back up.

    -sd

  4. Re: Grub boot loader error 21

    sd wrote:

    >> grub can be thought of as a separate mini OS. Its purpose is to act as
    >> the loader for other OSs. It uses its own nomenclature for drives and
    >> partitions which is unique to itself.
    >>
    >> Are you sure the BIOS isn't telling you that IDE drives are using _UDMA_,
    >> not UMDA. UDMA is ultra DMA.
    >>
    >> Question 1: Did you modify your BIOS settings after you installed Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> You may be up against a bit of project to get your system working again.
    >> You may need to do some homework now, if you omitted this step
    >> previously. It is important not to panic, though.
    >>

    > Oops.. the second IDE drive shows up on BIOS as UDMA [you're right -
    > it's not UMDA - I must have had too much coffee when I wrote last].
    >
    > When I saw that the primary slave was off, I turned it on on BIOS. It
    > didn't do any magic. So I turned it back off. So the BIOS setting is
    > exactly as it was before I installed ubuntu.
    >
    > Please advise on what homework needs to be done. I can't wait to get my
    > system back up.
    >
    > -sd

    I give up: where is the second hard drive connected? On the same ribbon
    cable as the other HD? On some other ribbon cable, perhaps plugged into
    a UDMA controller in a PCI slot? Can't tell from over here. Help me.

    Roby

  5. Re: Grub boot loader error 21

    On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:02:56 -0800, sd wrote:

    >> grub can be thought of as a separate mini OS. Its purpose is to act as the
    >> loader for other OSs. It uses its own nomenclature for drives and
    >> partitions which is unique to itself.
    >>
    >> Are you sure the BIOS isn't telling you that IDE drives are using _UDMA_,
    >> not UMDA. UDMA is ultra DMA.
    >>
    >> Question 1: Did you modify your BIOS settings after you installed Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> You may be up against a bit of project to get your system working again.
    >> You may need to do some homework now, if you omitted this step
    >> previously. It is important not to panic, though.
    >>

    > Oops.. the second IDE drive shows up on BIOS as UDMA [you're right -
    > it's not UMDA - I must have had too much coffee when I wrote last].

    What makes you think that the UDMA setting refers to the second hard
    drive, rather than the first, or both? We need details. None of us can see
    your machine; only you can. We need to know what you see, if we are to
    help.

    > When I saw that the primary slave was off, I turned it on on BIOS. It
    > didn't do any magic. So I turned it back off. So the BIOS setting is
    > exactly as it was before I installed ubuntu.
    >
    > Please advise on what homework needs to be done. I can't wait to get my
    > system back up.
    >
    > -sd

    For homework, a good start is here;

    http://tinyurl.com/fx7q6

    For help, it would be nice if you could tell us exactly where you
    installed Ubuntu, as in which partition on your second hard drive. Did you
    make a /boot partition, swap partition, separate /home partition? Do you
    know exactly which ide controller your second hard drive is connected to?
    Are your drives jumpered master/slave, or cable select? Your Ubuntu CD is a
    live Linux CD, which you can use to mount your / partition, and copy/post
    your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Do so. Along with the answers to the above
    mentioned questions, we might be able to spot where the problem is. Also,
    as root, enter the command;

    fdisk -l (that's a small L, not a number)

    Post the results, along with your /boot/grub/menu.lst. I don't have a
    Ubuntu CD, but it should have the Pan newsreader on it, so you can
    copy/paste into it, so that we can see the exact results.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

+ Reply to Thread