Getting a list of pacages one CAN install? - Setup

This is a discussion on Getting a list of pacages one CAN install? - Setup ; Hey, Many times I have typed "apt-get install xxx" and I get back something to the effect that there is no such package. So my question is "Is there a command that will list the available/installable packages?" thanks, charles........

  1. Getting a list of pacages one CAN install?

    Hey,

    Many times I have typed "apt-get install xxx" and I
    get back something to the effect that there is no such
    package. So my question is "Is there a command
    that will list the available/installable packages?"

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: Getting a list of pacages one CAN install?

    man apt-cache
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org