Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.0.1? - Setup

This is a discussion on Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.0.1? - Setup ; I'm using an old Knoppix 4.0.2 Live CD and qt_parted to re-size and partition my hard drive, but the hard drive isn't detected. It's a SATA HDD, so I'm wondering if perhaps that's why it isn't detected? Any other suggestions ...

  1. Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.0.1?

    I'm using an old Knoppix 4.0.2 Live CD and qt_parted to re-size and
    partition my hard drive, but the hard drive isn't detected. It's a SATA
    HDD, so I'm wondering if perhaps that's why it isn't detected? Any
    other suggestions as to what to do to get it working, if being SATA
    isn't the problem? Thanks!

    (BTW, I'm not 100% sure that it's a SATA cable, but it's the ~1cm-wide,
    reddish, single cable connected to the HDD rather than the Ribbon-like
    cable + PSU cable.)

    And I apologize, sincerely, for being such a newbie with all of this.
    I'm trying to dive into Linux by partitioning the hard drive to put
    fedora on it, but...well... I'm sure it's happened to almost everyone
    :P

    thanks!

  2. Re: Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.0.1?

    On 1 Nov 2006 18:45:28 -0800, falldierise@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm using an old Knoppix 4.0.2 Live CD and qt_parted to re-size and
    > partition my hard drive, but the hard drive isn't detected.

    You might consider getting 5.0.1

    > It's a SATA
    > HDD, so I'm wondering if perhaps that's why it isn't detected?

    Yep, bought a new system with sata and had same problem. You might try
    downloading/burning this live partitioning cd
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

  3. Re: Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.

    Hallo,

    Op 02 Nov 06 schreef falldierise@gmail.com aan All:

    fa> (BTW, I'm not 100% sure that it's a SATA cable, but it's the
    fa> ~1cm-wide, reddish, single cable connected to the HDD rather
    fa> than the Ribbon-like cable + PSU cable.)

    That sounds like a SATA cable indeed. But a SATA drive also needs
    power and it sounds like that's not connected. The connector usually
    sits on the normal yellow/black/red cables as the big lumps used for
    PATA drives &c, but is flat.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt xs4all punt nl

  4. Re: Is Knoppix 4.0.2 compatible with SATA HDD's? Is the current version, 5.0.1?

    In article ,
    BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister) writes:

    > On 1 Nov 2006 18:45:28 -0800, falldierise@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using an old Knoppix 4.0.2 Live CD and qt_parted to re-size and
    >> partition my hard drive, but the hard drive isn't detected.

    > You might consider getting 5.0.1
    >
    >> It's a SATA
    >> HDD, so I'm wondering if perhaps that's why it isn't detected?

    > Yep, bought a new system with sata and had same problem. You might try
    > downloading/burning this live partitioning cd
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ackage_id=1738
    > 28

    I had the same problem putting Slackware 10.2 on a new box. It would
    actually boot, but got a kernel panic soon afterwards when it failed
    to recognize the drive when it came time to actually mount things.
    I've seen mention of things like mkinitrd, but rather than try to
    figure it all out, I cheated - I dropped in a 4-gig IDE drive that
    I had lying around, and installed onto that. Once Slackware boots
    and gets itself organized, it figures out how to mount partitions on
    the SATA drive, where I keep a generous /usr/local and a huge /home.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)