FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz - Setup

This is a discussion on FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz - Setup ; Hi Folks, Doing a method=nfs: :/ install, I learned that I could put the collection of FC-6-i386-disc[12345].iso in and vmlinuz was quite happy to recognize that I had a RedHat installation tree with all that that implies. I thought I'd ...

  1. FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    Hi Folks,

    Doing a method=nfs::/ install, I learned that I could put the
    collection of FC-6-i386-disc[12345].iso in and vmlinuz was quite happy
    to recognize that I had a RedHat installation tree with all that that
    implies.

    I thought I'd be clever and download the DVD iso. vmlinuz does not
    recognize that FC-6-i386-DVD.iso is Fedora Core installation tree. Is this
    something under my control or is that a function of the way the DVD is
    packaged, vmlinuz, initrd.img, or some combination?

    I would think this is a fairly trivial bug and a polite whisper in the right
    ear might get it fixed pretty quick. Does anybody know the right ear? I
    would be quite happy to do it. Does anybody know how I volunteer?

    Thanks

    Chris.

  2. Re: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    On 2006-10-30, Chris Miller wrote:

    > Doing a method=nfs::/
    install, I learned that I could put the
    > collection of FC-6-i386-disc[12345].iso in
    and vmlinuz was quite happy
    > to recognize that I had a RedHat installation tree with all that that
    > implies.
    >
    > I thought I'd be clever and download the DVD iso. vmlinuz does not
    > recognize that FC-6-i386-DVD.iso is Fedora Core installation tree. Is this
    > something under my control or is that a function of the way the DVD is
    > packaged, vmlinuz, initrd.img, or some combination?

    If this is related to your earlier question, then you're not actually
    asking about a kernel issue, but a distribution-specific issue. You
    should ask someone at Fedora about the issue.

    For future reference, if you really have a kernel bug or enhancement,
    you should check out kernel.org, which describes how to report bugs.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    Hi Keith,

    Right. Thanks. That answers the other post. kernel.org... And thank you
    for believing that I would not know to "ask someone at Fedora" :-) (I note
    that you were a bit vague on the details of how to contact "someone at
    Fedora" -- you see, if I couldn't conclude to go there, then I probably
    couldn't figure out what to do once I got there. But, now I'm just being
    petty and I hope you're a good sport.)

    I was hoping I could get a discussion from someone who knows this
    subsystem -- and booting is probably related to the kernel. It is not clear
    to me how vmlinuz (that's part of the kernel, right?) recognizes a valid
    distribution. If it is my problem, then I'd rather find out before I go
    asking someone to fix it...

    Chris.

    "Keith Keller" wrote in message

    > If this is related to your earlier question, then you're not actually
    > asking about a kernel issue, but a distribution-specific issue. You
    > should ask someone at Fedora about the issue.
    >
    > For future reference, if you really have a kernel bug or enhancement,
    > you should check out kernel.org, which describes how to report bugs.
    >
    > --keith

  4. Re: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    On 2006-10-30, Chris Miller wrote:

    > Right. Thanks. That answers the other post. kernel.org... And thank you
    > for believing that I would not know to "ask someone at Fedora" :-) (I note
    > that you were a bit vague on the details of how to contact "someone at
    > Fedora" -- you see, if I couldn't conclude to go there, then I probably
    > couldn't figure out what to do once I got there. But, now I'm just being
    > petty and I hope you're a good sport.)

    I was a bit vague because I'm not a Fedora user, and was too lazy to go
    to their site myself. Their site is, IIRC, fedora.redhat.com.

    > I was hoping I could get a discussion from someone who knows this
    > subsystem -- and booting is probably related to the kernel.

    Booting is related to the kernel's configuration (i.e., build options),
    but not to the kernel's features. It's an important distinction.

    > It is not clear
    > to me how vmlinuz (that's part of the kernel, right?) recognizes a valid
    > distribution.

    vmlinuz + kernel modules == kernel

    Your question: how does vmlinuz recognize a ''valid distribution'' is a
    bit vague. Theoretically, the kernel calls init, which is configured by
    the CD/DVD producer to do what it's supposed to do. The kernel's only
    role here is to support the hardware and the filesystem(s) on the
    CD/DVD. Beyond that, I hope someone else will be able to go into
    specific details if you need more.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. Re: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    Hi Keith,

    Yes! You're exactly correct. And I should have realized it. The "kernel"
    does not make this decision -- it is the installation program (init), which
    has to do it. So it is not a kernel question at all. It is clearly RedHat
    and only RedHat that has jurisdiction over this.

    Now that was the kind of discussion I was seeking.

    Thanks for your help.

    >> I was hoping I could get a discussion from someone who knows this
    >> subsystem -- and booting is probably related to the kernel.

    > Booting is related to the kernel's configuration (i.e., build options),
    > but not to the kernel's features. It's an important distinction.
    >

    > --keith

  6. Re: FC-6-i386-DVD.iso not recognized by vmlinuz

    Chris Miller wrote:
    > Yes! You're exactly correct. And I should have realized it. The
    > "kernel" does not make this decision -- it is the installation program
    > (init), which
    > has to do it.

    init is not an installation program. It's the first process that starts
    during system boot and sets up the system according to configuration
    files. See:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-T...mpt-HOWTO.html especially
    chapter 6.

    The Red Hat/Fedora installation program is called Anaconda.
    http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda
    Bugs should be reported in Red Hat Bugzilla:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi