Which Distribution for VMWare - Setup

This is a discussion on Which Distribution for VMWare - Setup ; want something that is easy to install and manage but something that is easy on system resources. I'm planning to run it with only 256 Mb of RAM. thank you...

  1. Which Distribution for VMWare

    want something that is easy to install and manage
    but something that is easy on system resources.
    I'm planning to run it with only 256 Mb of RAM.

    thank you

  2. Re: Which Distribution for VMWare

    On Sunday 29 October 2006 21:00, asdf stood up and addressed the masses
    in /comp.os.linux.misc/ as follows...:

    > want something that is easy to install and manage
    > but something that is easy on system resources.
    > I'm planning to run it with only 256 Mb of RAM.

    You are being too vague... Do you need a distro which you will be running
    *inside* VMWare - you are posting from within Windows, so this is quite
    possible - or do you want a distribution to run *underneath* of a VMWare
    virtual machine with some other OS running in it?

    In addition, will the 256 MB of memory be the memory for the virtual
    machine, or will it be the total memory capacity of the host machine? In
    case of the latter, you may want to reconsider your plans.

    A modern operating system needs at least 128 to 256 MB of RAM for itself -
    Windows needs far more, especially Vista, but then again, that's not an
    operating system; that's a toy - and so if you plan on running a
    VMWare session on top of any OS in such a meager environment, you'd be
    running a lot out of swap, which will seriously affect your computing
    experiences in a negative way on that particular machine.

    If you are inquiring about a GNU/Linux distro to run *inside* a virtual
    machine which has 256 MB of RAM, then given that it should be an
    easy-to-install distribution, I would recommend Mandriva or perhaps any of
    the Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu flavors. (Open)SuSE is also a very userfriendly
    distribution.

    If the distro is to run inside a virtual machine on a host with only 256 MB
    of total physical memory, I would most definitely recommend
    using /XFCE,/ /twm,/ or /IceWM/ as the graphical environment. You
    definitely don't want to be messing with KDE or Gnome on a low-memory
    machine. KDE and Gnome are environments which require 256 MB of RAM to be
    able to work comfortably in, especially with all the bells and whistles
    turned on, like terminal emulator transparency, et al.

    In that case, if you were to go for any of the /*buntu/ flavors, Xubuntu
    should be the distro to pick - it uses XFCE 4 as its window manager.

    If you are however not experienced with GNU/Linux, do your research first.
    The /*buntu/ distributions do not allow direct root logins of any kind -
    the root account has been disabled login-wise by not setting up a password
    for it, and that is _not_ the same thing as a blank password! ;-) - so
    you'll have to familiarize yourself with the use of /sudo./

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)