Initrd boot phase errors reading bogus partition on raid drive. - Setup

This is a discussion on Initrd boot phase errors reading bogus partition on raid drive. - Setup ; Hi gurus! Booting my Fedora 5 (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5) system takes an extra couple of minutes because of disk errors. The system is trying to “do something” with a partition on a drive that is part of a raid set, and failing. ...

  1. Initrd boot phase errors reading bogus partition on raid drive.

    Hi gurus!
    Booting my Fedora 5 (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5) system takes an extra couple of
    minutes because of disk errors. The system is trying to “do something”
    with a partition on a drive that is part of a raid set, and failing.

    When I boot, I get several screens worth of the following error
    Buffer I/O error on device hde1, logical block 625153152

    These errors occur during the initrd boot phase. After the system
    boots, the system is apparently ok.

    hde is part of a 2 disk striped raid set, and that set is formatted as a
    single ntfs partition. I can stop the errors if I add “hde=noprobe
    hdf=noprobe” as a kernel boot parameter, but then I cannot use dmraid to
    access my raid partition, because /dev/hde & /dev/hde don’t exist. I
    tried adding boot parameter “hde=19457,255,63“ but the device remains
    invisible.

    My naive guess is that I can solve my problem by either
    1) Getting dmraid to see my drives after a boot that uses “noprobe”
    2) Stopping whatever program is trying to access hde1 during the initrd
    boot.
    All my attempts at 1) have failed, and I have no idea how to do 2).

    My System has
    An Abit AN7 nforce chipset motherboard with
    2 ATA onboard channels
    onboard Si3112 SATA Raid ( I use SATA, but not the SATA raid)
    A SiI0680 (CMD 680) pci ATA card

    The drive layout is
    hda onboard ata [hda1=/boot ,ext3 : hda2=unmounted, ntfs]
    hdc onboard ata [ hdc1= /, ext3 : hdc2=swap : hdc3=/var, ext3]
    ** hde SiI0680 striped raid set 1
    hdf SiI0680 [ hdf1=unmounted, ntfs ]
    ** hdg SiI0680 striped raid set 1
    sda onboard SATA [sda1=unmounted, ntfs]
    ** dm-0 raid 1[dm-0p1=unmounted, ntfs]

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Initrd boot phase errors reading bogus partition on raid drive.

    "Acarphinus" wrote in message
    news:N9mdndHSWJLfjtzYnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Hi gurus!
    > Booting my Fedora 5 (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5) system takes an extra couple of
    > minutes because of disk errors. The system is trying to “do something”
    > with a partition on a drive that is part of a raid set, and failing.
    >
    > When I boot, I get several screens worth of the following error
    > Buffer I/O error on device hde1, logical block 625153152
    >
    > These errors occur during the initrd boot phase. After the system
    > boots, the system is apparently ok.
    >
    > hde is part of a 2 disk striped raid set, and that set is formatted as a
    > single ntfs partition. I can stop the errors if I add “hde=noprobe
    > hdf=noprobe” as a kernel boot parameter, but then I cannot use dmraid to
    > access my raid partition, because /dev/hde & /dev/hde don’t exist. I
    > tried adding boot parameter “hde=19457,255,63“ but the device remains
    > invisible.
    >
    > My naive guess is that I can solve my problem by either
    > 1) Getting dmraid to see my drives after a boot that uses “noprobe”
    > 2) Stopping whatever program is trying to access hde1 during the initrd
    > boot.
    > All my attempts at 1) have failed, and I have no idea how to do 2).
    >
    > My System has
    > An Abit AN7 nforce chipset motherboard with
    > 2 ATA onboard channels
    > onboard Si3112 SATA Raid ( I use SATA, but not the SATA raid)
    > A SiI0680 (CMD 680) pci ATA card
    >
    > The drive layout is
    > hda onboard ata [hda1=/boot ,ext3 : hda2=unmounted, ntfs]
    > hdc onboard ata [ hdc1= /, ext3 : hdc2=swap : hdc3=/var, ext3]
    > ** hde SiI0680 striped raid set 1
    > hdf SiI0680 [ hdf1=unmounted, ntfs ]
    > ** hdg SiI0680 striped raid set 1
    > sda onboard SATA [sda1=unmounted, ntfs]
    > ** dm-0 raid 1[dm-0p1=unmounted, ntfs]
    >
    > Thanks!

    1. Backup data.
    2. Replace drive generating errors.
    either under warantee or with a new/known good one.
    3. Put data back.

    later.....

+ Reply to Thread