Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq? - Setup

This is a discussion on Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq? - Setup ; Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

  2. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    Absolutely. Have you run the Live CD to check all your hardware etc works
    first?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!

  3. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Gordon writes:

    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    > Absolutely. Have you run the Live CD to check all your hardware etc works
    > first?

    1 second with google had this as the first link : "compag dual boot ubuntu"

    http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/

    The question is : does ME do anything different with regard to booting?
    A quick google suggest 98SE works fine:

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-196614.html

    so I guess one can infer that ME will be ok too.

    The big question is "Why ME"? Windows ME is about as bad as any OS can
    be : buggs, insecure etc etc. Why compromise your HW with ME? Get XP on
    it - much safer.

    COLA say no to "Win ME" but YES to "ME too".

  4. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Peter J Ross wrote:
    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    Another day another troll

  5. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Hadron Quark wrote:

    > Gordon writes:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    >> Absolutely. Have you run the Live CD to check all your hardware etc works
    >> first?

    > 1 second with google had this as the first link : "compag dual boot
    > ubuntu"

    http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/

    > The question is : does ME do anything different with regard to booting?
    > A quick google suggest 98SE works fine:
    >
    > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-196614.html
    >
    > so I guess one can infer that ME will be ok too.
    >
    > The big question is "Why ME"? Windows ME is about as bad as any OS can
    > be : buggs, insecure etc etc. Why compromise your HW with ME? Get XP on
    > it - much safer.
    >
    > COLA say no to "Win ME" but YES to "ME too".

    Why are you telling me this?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!

  6. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Gordon writes:

    > Hadron Quark wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon writes:

    >>> Absolutely. Have you run the Live CD to check all your hardware etc works
    >>> first?

    >> 1 second with google had this as the first link : "compag dual boot
    >> ubuntu"
    >>

    > http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/
    >>
    >> The question is : does ME do anything different with regard to booting?
    >> A quick google suggest 98SE works fine:
    >>
    >> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-196614.html
    >>
    >> so I guess one can infer that ME will be ok too.
    >>
    >> The big question is "Why ME"? Windows ME is about as bad as any OS can
    >> be : buggs, insecure etc etc. Why compromise your HW with ME? Get XP on
    >> it - much safer.
    >>
    >> COLA say no to "Win ME" but YES to "ME too".

    > Why are you telling me this?

    Telling you what? It wasn't directed at you - it was adding some info for
    the OP. It's called a thread. But rather than say "absolutely" I also
    added some factual links. relax.

  7. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    System Commander will install, and menu boot to, just about anything.
    It has one problem with DOS/Win95-98 in overwriting CONFIG.SYS and
    AUTOEXEC.BAT for all installs to the one with the latest date --
    which Billy seems to have caused deliberately by redating those files
    on startup. Win NT (incl 2000 and ME) writes an empty CONFIG.SYS
    that performs the same screwjob on real CONFIGs.
    S.C. also has a "small" version of Partition Commander allowing
    repartitioning without loss of extant data, however it will only
    format FAT-16 and FAT-32; your o/s must format anything else.

    --
    -------(m+
    ~/)_|

  8. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  9. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Gordon said:

    > Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    > > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    > Absolutely. Have you run the Live CD to check all your hardware etc works
    > first?

    ____
    /\| ~~\
    /' | ,-. `\
    | | X | |
    _|________`-' |X
    /' ~~~~~~~~~,
    /' ,_____,/_
    ,/' ___,'~~ ;
    ~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~|--- / X,~~~~~~~~~~~~,
    | | | XX'____________'
    | | /' XXX| ;
    | | --x| XXX,~~~~~~~~~~~~,
    | | X| '____________'
    | o |---~~~~\__XX\ |XX
    | | XXX`\ /XXXX
    ~~~~~~~~'~~~~~~~' `\xXXXXx/' \XXX
    /XXXXXX\
    /XXXXXXXXXX\
    /XXXXXX/^\XDCAU\
    ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

    --
    Cm~

    Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
    for "moronic harassment".
    You can't see this post.

  10. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Leythos writes:

    > In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    > sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    >> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    > I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    > only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with
    WPA. Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more
    traditional /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at
    all either on my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site
    reveals a ton of bugs waiting to be fixed.

  11. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:30:27 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

    > Leythos writes:
    >
    >> In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    >> sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    >>> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    >> I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    >> only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    > Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with WPA.
    > Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more traditional
    > /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at all either on
    > my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site reveals a ton of
    > bugs waiting to be fixed.

    It works great for me. Did you install network-manager or
    network-manger-gnome?

  12. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    arachnid writes:

    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:30:27 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
    >
    >> Leythos writes:
    >>
    >>> In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    >>> sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    >>> only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    >> Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with WPA.
    >> Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more traditional
    >> /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at all either on
    >> my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site reveals a ton of
    >> bugs waiting to be fixed.

    > It works great for me. Did you install network-manager or
    > network-manger-gnome?

    network-manager-gnome which installs network-manager.

    I'll stick with what I have now : the mail-list archives show I'm not
    alone. I'll wait until its more stable.

    --
    Call for details.

  13. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    arachnid wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:30:27 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
    >
    >> Leythos writes:
    >>
    >>> In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    >>> sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    >>> only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    >> Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with WPA.
    >> Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more traditional
    >> /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at all either on
    >> my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site reveals a ton of
    >> bugs waiting to be fixed.

    > It works great for me. Did you install network-manager or
    > network-manger-gnome?

    You can't earnestly expect Hadron to change his non-working situation. How
    would he be able to moan and bitch about linux then? You know, he *loves*
    linux. He exclusivly works with linux and uses windows only for games.

    So he tells us. He is also a "kernel hacker"
    --
    Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice which can be equally well
    explained by stupidity

  14. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    In article ,
    none@goawayspammers.com says...
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:30:27 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:
    >
    > > Leythos writes:
    > >
    > >> In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    > >> sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    > >>
    > >> I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    > >> only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    > > Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with WPA.
    > > Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more traditional
    > > /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at all either on
    > > my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site reveals a ton of
    > > bugs waiting to be fixed.

    > It works great for me. Did you install network-manager or
    > network-manger-gnome?

    I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    would have been the default.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  15. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    > want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    > saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    > would have been the default.

    Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    --
    "It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly,
    so you should look into that." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview

  16. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Hadron Quark wrote:
    > Leythos writes:
    >
    > > In article <1161753788.480877.186970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    > > sean.monaghan2@gmail.com says...
    > >> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    I had my old computer dual booted with a Debian distribution alongside
    a MS Windows Millenium Edition. But the problem was that it (MS
    Windows ME) trashed my Debian partition two times, so I bought and
    installed another disk for Debian. After that, it went real ok. If it
    wasn't for modem support was so bad back then (WinModems), I would have
    removed MS Windows ME long time ago, even back then (arond 2001?).

    > > I have a nice laptop that I was testing Ub on, it didn't include WPA,
    > > only WEP, so I abandoned it and went back to FC5.

    Haven't tried with WPA, so I cant say.

    > Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with
    > WPA. Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more
    > traditional /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at
    > all either on my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site
    > reveals a ton of bugs waiting to be fixed.

    Network Manager works great, for computers that moves around, like lap
    tops.
    Just remove network interfaces that you want to be handled by Network
    Manager from /etc/network/interfaces. But for stational computers,
    like servers, you shouldn't run with Network Manager, just plain old
    good /etc/network/interfaces. You don't want to have network access
    started after you logged in through your GUI. :-/

  17. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    In article <7eudnYhgn7iIPaLYnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    linonut@bone.com says...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    > > want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    > > saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    > > would have been the default.

    > Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    Have you not read anything on wireless security in the last two years?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  18. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > In article <7eudnYhgn7iIPaLYnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > linonut@bone.com says...
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    >> > want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    >> > saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    >> > would have been the default.

    >> Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    > Have you not read anything on wireless security in the last two years?

    Think about it. Why should the host computer default to a setting not
    supported by default in a wireless router? A sure way to get a flood
    of support calls.

    --
    EFF is a nonprofit group of passionate people -- lawyers, technologists,
    volunteers, and visionaries -- working to protect your digital

  19. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, AJackson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron Quark wrote:
    >> Leythos writes:
    >>

    > Haven't tried with WPA, so I cant say.
    >
    >> Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with
    >> WPA. Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more
    >> traditional /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at
    >> all either on my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site
    >> reveals a ton of bugs waiting to be fixed.

    > Network Manager works great, for computers that moves around, like lap
    > tops.
    > Just remove network interfaces that you want to be handled by Network
    > Manager from /etc/network/interfaces. But for stational computers,
    > like servers, you shouldn't run with Network Manager, just plain old
    > good /etc/network/interfaces. You don't want to have network access
    > started after you logged in through your GUI. :-/

    I'll have to try Network Manager. I couldn't get wpa_supplicant to stop
    connecting to the first router it found, usually /not/ the one I wanted
    to connect to.

    Right now, I just run a home script or a work script after booting.

    I run it after I log into my GUI. :-D

    --
    EFF is a nonprofit group of passionate people -- lawyers, technologists,
    volunteers, and visionaries -- working to protect your digital
    rights. -- http://www.eff.org/

  20. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    In article ,
    linonut@bone.com says...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > In article <7eudnYhgn7iIPaLYnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > > linonut@bone.com says...
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    > > Have you not read anything on wireless security in the last two years?

    > Think about it. Why should the host computer default to a setting not
    > supported by default in a wireless router? A sure way to get a flood
    > of support calls.

    What the heck are you talking about - almost every router produced in
    the last two years has WEP and WEP and for the last two years every
    security expert has been stating that people should not use WEP, that
    they should use WPA.

    Why would the driver not default to having both OPTIONS available?

    Most Wireless drivers for cards allow the user to pick/support WEP AND
    WPA, the default install of Ub doesn't include WPA support, which seems
    a little lame.

    What about all the people that don't install Wireless routers withe the
    default NO-Security, so that everyone in the area can't connect, that
    use WPA because it's been the norm for secure networks for years - what
    about all the support calls from those people?