Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq? - Setup

This is a discussion on Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq? - Setup ; On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:23:08 -0700, Peter J Ross wrote: > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium? Very likely....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:23:08 -0700, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    Very likely.

  2. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:23:08 -0700, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    For real?? I have installed Ubuntu on six Compaqs so far with no
    difficulty. It may depend on exact model, but most likely it will be a
    piece of cake.

  3. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Linonut writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    >> want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    >> saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    >> would have been the default.

    > Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    Huh? They default to nothing usually.

    --
    Call for details.

  4. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:23:08 -0700, Peter J Ross wrote:
    >
    >> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    > For real?? I have installed Ubuntu on six Compaqs so far with no
    > difficulty. It may depend on exact model, but most likely it will be a
    > piece of cake.

    Is this another forging?

  5. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > arachnid wrote:

    >>> Dapper includes "network manager" which is supposed to work with WPA.
    >>> Unfortunately it doesnt adhere or work alongside the more traditional
    >>> /etc/networks/interfaces file - I couldnt get it working at all either on
    >>> my desktop or my portable. The networkmanager web site reveals a ton of
    >>> bugs waiting to be fixed.

    >> It works great for me. Did you install network-manager or
    >> network-manger-gnome?

    > You can't earnestly expect Hadron to change his non-working situation. How
    > would he be able to moan and bitch about linux then? You know, he *loves*
    > linux. He exclusivly works with linux and uses windows only for games.
    >

    > So he tells us. He is also a "kernel hacker"

    Peter, as usual, wets his panties when someone suggests to someone else
    to be "careful" because even Linux has bugs.

    He is so sad it beggars belief.

    --
    Call for details.

  6. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Think about it. Why should the host computer default to a setting not
    >> supported by default in a wireless router? A sure way to get a flood
    >> of support calls.

    > What the heck are you talking about - almost every router produced in
    > the last two years has WEP and WEP

    You meant WPA. Sure, they have them, but (takes hammer to your head)
    the default is NO SECURITY.

    > and for the last two years every
    > security expert has been stating that people should not use WEP, that
    > they should use WPA.
    >
    > Why would the driver not default to having both OPTIONS available?

    Now you've changed the terms of the argument, thus ending it.

    > What about all the people that don't install Wireless routers withe the
    > default NO-Security, so that everyone in the area can't connect, that
    > use WPA because it's been the norm for secure networks for years - what
    > about all the support calls from those people?

    My god, computer types can be most obtuse!

    --
    Don't flip the Bozo Bit.

  7. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Hadron Quark wrote:

    >Linonut writes:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> I did a base installation without really picking anything. Why would I
    >>> want to only have WEP, it's not secure and for years we've all been
    >>> saying that WEP is no a good option - I would have expected that WPA
    >>> would have been the default.

    >> Why? Not even the wireless routers themselves default to WPA.

    >Huh? They default to nothing usually.

    Huh? That's what he said, cretin.

  8. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/

    >>> The question is : does ME do anything different with regard to booting?
    >>> A quick google suggest 98SE works fine:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-196614.html
    >>>
    >>> so I guess one can infer that ME will be ok too.
    >>>
    >>> The big question is "Why ME"? Windows ME is about as bad as any OS can
    >>> be : buggs, insecure etc etc. Why compromise your HW with ME? Get XP on
    >>> it - much safer.
    >>>
    >>> COLA say no to "Win ME" but YES to "ME too".

    >> Why are you telling me this?

    > Telling you what? It wasn't directed at you - it was adding some info for
    > the OP. It's called a thread. But rather than say "absolutely" I also
    > added some factual links. relax.

    Then respond to the post you are replying to, not one you are NOT replying
    to.
    basic Usenet knowledge.
    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    to email me invalidate the invalid!

  9. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Gordon writes:

    > Hadron Quark wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon writes:

    > http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/

    >>> Why are you telling me this?

    >> Telling you what? It wasn't directed at you - it was adding some info for
    >> the OP. It's called a thread. But rather than say "absolutely" I also
    >> added some factual links. relax.

    > Then respond to the post you are replying to, not one you are NOT replying
    > to.
    > basic Usenet knowledge.

    How about this : go boil your head you arrogant tit.

    --
    Call for details.

  10. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    Hadron Quark writes:

    > Gordon writes:
    >
    >> Hadron Quark wrote:

    >> http://www.akshaymehta.com/2006/09/1...-v3000-series/

    >>> Telling you what? It wasn't directed at you - it was adding some info for
    >>> the OP. It's called a thread. But rather than say "absolutely" I also
    >>> added some factual links. relax.

    >> Then respond to the post you are replying to, not one you are NOT replying
    >> to.
    >> basic Usenet knowledge.

    > How about this : go boil your head you arrogant tit.

    ps, also note the words "adding some info". There was nothing whatsoever
    wrong with where I tagged on my REAL info after your fanboi "of course"
    meaningless reply. Idiot.

  11. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    In article ,
    linonut@bone.com says...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Leythos belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > >> Think about it. Why should the host computer default to a setting not
    > >> supported by default in a wireless router? A sure way to get a flood
    > >> of support calls.

    > > What the heck are you talking about - almost every router produced in
    > > the last two years has WEP and WEP

    > You meant WPA. Sure, they have them, but (takes hammer to your head)
    > the default is NO SECURITY.

    And the default is to warn people not to use NO security, unless you
    like a lot of unsecured spots all over the place, and when we teach
    people about security we always tell them to NOT use WEP.

    > > and for the last two years every
    > > security expert has been stating that people should not use WEP, that
    > > they should use WPA.
    > >
    > > Why would the driver not default to having both OPTIONS available?

    > Now you've changed the terms of the argument, thus ending it.

    No, I've clearly stated that the default driver did not include WPA
    ability, that it should include it, and that if they are going to
    include WEP they should also include WPA, by default.

    > > What about all the people that don't install Wireless routers withe the
    > > default NO-Security, so that everyone in the area can't connect, that
    > > use WPA because it's been the norm for secure networks for years - what
    > > about all the support calls from those people?

    > My god, computer types can be most obtuse!

    I could say the same about people that don't understand the human side
    of computing, that don't understand security, that completely miss the
    point of having a secure network/device.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  12. Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu on my Compaq?

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:45:12 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:23:08 -0700, Peter J Ross wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can I dual boot it with Windows Millenium?

    >> For real?? I have installed Ubuntu on six Compaqs so far with no
    >> difficulty. It may depend on exact model, but most likely it will be a
    >> piece of cake.
    >>

    > Is this another forging?

    I don't think so.

+ Reply to Thread