Hi everybody,

I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo on an Asus P5LD2 board on
which I can't make Debian "Sarge" (3.1r3) recognize the
IDE disk in DMA mode.

The board has two SATA connectors, which I am *not* using.

The board has one IDE connector, which I am using for the
main hard drive.

My problem only seem to appear under Debian : I've got FC4
running on this board fine and Xenoppix x86_64 also running
fine on this board (fine as in "having the HD transfering data
at 50 MB/s" instead of 3 MB/s under Debian Sarge).

When I try to do an "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" I got the following
message :

"operation not permitted"

Note that when I boot the same machine using Knoppix, the dma
is disabled by default, but doing an "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" turns
the DMA on.

I've seen various people/posts explaining this problem and the
"workaround" : but I don't understand what I need to do in this
case.

I've tried playing with Debian's /etc/modules file, which looks like
this at the moment:

piix
ide_generic
ide_cd
psmouse

(apparently this problem is to be solved by "forcing" to load a
driver working for the board but I can't find which one).

My problem is similar to the one explained on this short page :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DMA

But, sadly, the workaround for when DMA is an "Operation
not permitted" doesn't work in my case...

Maybe I need to load another module (instead of piix) !?

(that Ubuntu page says the module for Intel board is piix).

Here's a sample output of a working config, with DMA enable, on
Knoppix (on the same machine):

....# lsmod | grep -v " 0 " | grep -v snd

autofs4
ext3
jbd
mii
intel_agp
agpgart
i2c_core
parport
serial_core
rsrc_nonstatic
pcmcia_core
processor
unionfs
cloop
ieee1394
usbcore

Would one of these help me ?

I've tried many things : kernel 2.6.8, kernel 2.6.16, etc.

I'm getting desperate.

thanks for any advice,

Alex