Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla - Setup

This is a discussion on Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla - Setup ; I recently installed Kubuntu linux as one of the operating systems on my dual boot machine. It seems to be missing many of the packages of interest to me - e.g. mozilla browser, latex, gnuplot etc. Is there some gui-based ...

  1. Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla

    I recently installed Kubuntu linux as one of the operating systems on
    my dual boot machine. It seems to be missing many of the packages of
    interest to me - e.g. mozilla browser, latex, gnuplot etc. Is there
    some gui-based resource from where I can pick and choose which packages
    I want added, and not have to worry about dependencies, supporting
    libraries etc.. I know that I can do this while installing red-hat
    linux.

    I tried downloading mozilla from the mozilla website, and on
    compilation, an error gets flagged to the effect that my machine is
    missing the libgtk-x11 library. If possible, I would like to avoid
    hunting on the internet for stuff like this.

    SD

  2. Re: Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla

    oblique.shock@gmail.com wrote:
    > I recently installed Kubuntu linux as one of the operating systems on
    > my dual boot machine. It seems to be missing many of the packages of
    > interest to me - e.g. mozilla browser, latex, gnuplot etc. Is there
    > some gui-based resource from where I can pick and choose which packages
    > I want added, and not have to worry about dependencies, supporting
    > libraries etc.. I know that I can do this while installing red-hat
    > linux.
    >
    > I tried downloading mozilla from the mozilla website, and on
    > compilation, an error gets flagged to the effect that my machine is
    > missing the libgtk-x11 library. If possible, I would like to avoid
    > hunting on the internet for stuff like this.
    >
    > SD

    start Synaptic Program Manager. Use the "find" button to search for what
    you want. Mark it for download/install and let it go to town. Been using
    it for a month and a half with out s single problem.

    Mike WN5PMR

  3. Re: Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla

    mike sullivan wrote:

    > oblique.shock@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I recently installed Kubuntu linux as one of the operating systems on
    >> my dual boot machine. It seems to be missing many of the packages of
    >> interest to me - e.g. mozilla browser, latex, gnuplot etc. Is there
    >> some gui-based resource from where I can pick and choose which packages
    >> I want added, and not have to worry about dependencies, supporting
    >> libraries etc.. I know that I can do this while installing red-hat
    >> linux.
    >>
    >> I tried downloading mozilla from the mozilla website, and on
    >> compilation, an error gets flagged to the effect that my machine is
    >> missing the libgtk-x11 library. If possible, I would like to avoid
    >> hunting on the internet for stuff like this.
    >>
    >> SD
    >>

    > start Synaptic Program Manager. Use the "find" button to search for what
    > you want. Mark it for download/install and let it go to town. Been using
    > it for a month and a half with out s single problem.
    >
    > Mike WN5PMR

    Only Kubuntu doesn't use synaptic - it comes with Adept. Start Adept
    Package Manager, search for what you want, click install. If you like
    synaptic better, go ahead and install it.... Software installation in any
    ubuntu derivative is fairly simple.

    --
    He who would be a man, must be a nonconformist. --Emerson

  4. Re: Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:47:56 -0700, oblique.shock wrote:

    > I recently installed Kubuntu linux as one of the operating systems on
    > my dual boot machine. It seems to be missing many of the packages of
    > interest to me - e.g. mozilla browser, latex, gnuplot etc. Is there
    > some gui-based resource from where I can pick and choose which packages
    > I want added, and not have to worry about dependencies, supporting
    > libraries etc.. I know that I can do this while installing red-hat
    > linux.
    >
    > I tried downloading mozilla from the mozilla website, and on
    > compilation, an error gets flagged to the effect that my machine is
    > missing the libgtk-x11 library. If possible, I would like to avoid
    > hunting on the internet for stuff like this.
    >
    > SD

    The easiest way to set up your new Kubuntu OS is by using Automatix.

    See:
    http://www.getautomatix.com/

  5. Re: Adding packages to kubuntu - in particular, mozilla

    > > Mike WN5PMROnly Kubuntu doesn't use synaptic - it comes with Adept. Start Adept
    > Package Manager, search for what you want, click install. If you like
    > synaptic better, go ahead and install it.... Software installation in any
    > ubuntu derivative is fairly simple.

    Thanks much. Installing Adept to install Synaptic and then using
    Synaptic to install packages worked damn well.

    SD

+ Reply to Thread