Knoppix and USB 2.0 external disk - Setup

This is a discussion on Knoppix and USB 2.0 external disk - Setup ; I am trying to clone my laptop's hard disk by booting with Knoppix 5.0. The laptop does not have USB 2.0 so I am using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adaptor and connecting the external disk (SimpleDrive) to it. I can ...

  1. Knoppix and USB 2.0 external disk

    I am trying to clone my laptop's hard disk by booting with Knoppix 5.0.
    The laptop does not have USB 2.0 so I am using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adaptor
    and connecting the external disk (SimpleDrive) to it.

    I can see the external disk recognized as a scsi emulated drive
    /dev/sda1. I can read this disk but when I write to it using:

    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1 it hangs.

    If I use fdisk or cfdisk to alter the partition on /dev/sda1 it hangs.

    It appears that I can read from /dev/sda1 but not write to it.

    Any ideas anyone on how I can get it to write to /dev/sda1 (USB 2.0
    connected external disk).

    Thanks,

    Karan

  2. Re: Knoppix and USB 2.0 external disk

    In article <1161533904.761509.191140@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    ksiyan@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to clone my laptop's hard disk by booting with Knoppix 5.0.
    > The laptop does not have USB 2.0 so I am using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adaptor
    > and connecting the external disk (SimpleDrive) to it.
    >
    > I can see the external disk recognized as a scsi emulated drive
    > /dev/sda1. I can read this disk but when I write to it using:
    >
    > dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1 it hangs.
    >
    > If I use fdisk or cfdisk to alter the partition on /dev/sda1 it hangs.
    >
    > It appears that I can read from /dev/sda1 but not write to it.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone on how I can get it to write to /dev/sda1 (USB 2.0
    > connected external disk).

    Maybe it just won't write the first block for some reason. Try

    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1 skip= count=

    and do that again and again, reducing the big number until you get a
    failure. If you don't want an _exact_ duplicate of /dev/hda1 you could
    put those block(s) in a file I guess. You'd only have to put /dev/sda1
    in your machine once, to partition it in that case.

    My best drive-to-drive throughput using dd is somewhere between bs=4k
    and bs=128k (I only checked powers of 2), but that may be particular to
    my setup.

    --
    -eben
    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.no-ip.org:81