setup network problem - Setup

This is a discussion on setup network problem - Setup ; Hi I post this a couple of days ago in redhat install group but it seems not to be very active. So in hopes I can get started correctly I am reposting here in this one group. I am not ...

  1. setup network problem

    Hi
    I post this a couple of days ago in redhat install group but it seems
    not to be very active. So in hopes I can get started correctly I am
    reposting here in this one group. I am not brand new to linux but
    setup one up is something I not had to do very much. I have been
    using linux enough to make it a pain now to do command line windows.
    For example the slashes and using ls and other command prompt.
    I threw the last in as that when I realized I have using linux more
    than windows. anyway below is copy of my post. Thanks.

    >Hi
    >I am trying to install fedora 5(amd-64) on a shuttle sn-25p
    >(http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp).
    >I can get it to install but the network does not work. I use dhcp.
    >From googling I believe I have to use the forcedeth with the force driver but I am
    >unsure how to do this. How do I determine exactly what driver fedora
    >picked? Should I not see an file for it under either /dev or
    >/dev/net? Do I have to use modprobe to add the driver? If so how? I
    >been use linux fairly regular now for about a year so I not a total
    >newbie but I just can not seem to understand this. If I can get past
    >this I of course yum to add my packages and I know the other problem
    >will probably be the audio drivers(VIA Envy24PT ) . Thanks

    Oh I should have added that when I do a ifdown, net restart, ifup I
    get a the rt18129 device does not seem to be present error message.
    Also ethtool does not see anything.

  2. Re: setup network problem

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:29:08 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:

    >Hi
    >I post this a couple of days ago in redhat install group but it seems
    >not to be very active. So in hopes I can get started correctly I am
    >reposting here in this one group. I am not brand new to linux but
    >setup one up is something I not had to do very much. I have been
    >using linux enough to make it a pain now to do command line windows.
    >For example the slashes and using ls and other command prompt.
    >I threw the last in as that when I realized I have using linux more
    >than windows. anyway below is copy of my post. Thanks.
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I am trying to install fedora 5(amd-64) on a shuttle sn-25p
    >>(http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp).
    >>I can get it to install but the network does not work. I use dhcp.
    >>From googling I believe I have to use the forcedeth with the force driver but I am
    >>unsure how to do this. How do I determine exactly what driver fedora
    >>picked? Should I not see an file for it under either /dev or
    >>/dev/net? Do I have to use modprobe to add the driver? If so how? I
    >>been use linux fairly regular now for about a year so I not a total
    >>newbie but I just can not seem to understand this. If I can get past
    >>this I of course yum to add my packages and I know the other problem
    >>will probably be the audio drivers(VIA Envy24PT ) . Thanks

    >Oh I should have added that when I do a ifdown, net restart, ifup I
    >get a the rt18129 device does not seem to be present error message.
    >Also ethtool does not see anything.

    Oh I also found a procedure for gentoo but the recompiled the kernal
    which I have not done.
    http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/nforce-net-to-forcedeth.htm
    The above is the gentoo reference.

  3. Re: setup network problem

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:25:17 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:29:08 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I post this a couple of days ago in redhat install group but it seems
    >>not to be very active. So in hopes I can get started correctly I am
    >>reposting here in this one group. I am not brand new to linux but
    >>setup one up is something I not had to do very much. I have been
    >>using linux enough to make it a pain now to do command line windows.
    >>For example the slashes and using ls and other command prompt.
    >>I threw the last in as that when I realized I have using linux more
    >>than windows. anyway below is copy of my post. Thanks.
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I am trying to install fedora 5(amd-64) on a shuttle sn-25p
    >>>(http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp).
    >>>I can get it to install but the network does not work. I use dhcp.
    >>>From googling I believe I have to use the forcedeth with the force driver but I am
    >>>unsure how to do this. How do I determine exactly what driver fedora
    >>>picked? Should I not see an file for it under either /dev or
    >>>/dev/net? Do I have to use modprobe to add the driver? If so how? I
    >>>been use linux fairly regular now for about a year so I not a total
    >>>newbie but I just can not seem to understand this. If I can get past
    >>>this I of course yum to add my packages and I know the other problem
    >>>will probably be the audio drivers(VIA Envy24PT ) . Thanks

    >>Oh I should have added that when I do a ifdown, net restart, ifup I
    >>get a the rt18129 device does not seem to be present error message.
    >>Also ethtool does not see anything.

    >Oh I also found a procedure for gentoo but the recompiled the kernal
    >which I have not done.
    >http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/nforce-net-to-forcedeth.htm
    >The above is the gentoo reference.

    I have also now looked in dmesg but there is no reference to eth0
    there

    I also used lspci but am not sure if on board chips would show here
    since I saw nothing( I did see the sound which I believed is on board
    too)

    I did do a modprobe forcedeth which it happily took but no results
    changed.

  4. Re: setup network problem

    spamkill@charter.net wrote:
    > I have also now looked in dmesg but there is no reference to eth0
    > there
    >
    > I also used lspci but am not sure if on board chips would show here
    > since I saw nothing( I did see the sound which I believed is on board
    > too)

    lspci shows all pci devices, on board or separate cards. If the ethernet
    chip doesn't show at all it's either broken or disabled from the BIOS
    setup.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  5. Re: setup network problem

    WeOn Thu, 19 Oct 2006 05:43:39 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:25:17 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:29:08 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I post this a couple of days ago in redhat install group but it seems
    >>>not to be very active. So in hopes I can get started correctly I am
    >>>reposting here in this one group. I am not brand new to linux but
    >>>setup one up is something I not had to do very much. I have been
    >>>using linux enough to make it a pain now to do command line windows.
    >>>For example the slashes and using ls and other command prompt.
    >>>I threw the last in as that when I realized I have using linux more
    >>>than windows. anyway below is copy of my post. Thanks.

    >>>Oh I should have added that when I do a ifdown, net restart, ifup I
    >>>get a the rt18129 device does not seem to be present error message.
    >>>Also ethtool does not see anything.

    >>Oh I also found a procedure for gentoo but the recompiled the kernal
    >>which I have not done.
    >>http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/nforce-net-to-forcedeth.htm
    >>The above is the gentoo reference.

    >I have also now looked in dmesg but there is no reference to eth0
    >there
    >
    >I also used lspci but am not sure if on board chips would show here
    >since I saw nothing( I did see the sound which I believed is on board
    >too)
    >
    >I did do a modprobe forcedeth which it happily took but no results
    >changed.

    Well just in case someone else has this problem I will continue here.
    After sneaking around the side with a usb to LAN adaptor I have
    updated the box and installed nvidia drivers for my video
    card(turbo6200c). What makes this interesting is now lspci now show
    the Ethernet. I still can not however activate it. It says cable
    unplugged ?. This is a little progress however and I will take what I
    can get.

  6. Re: setup network problem

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:10:28 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:

    >WeOn Thu, 19 Oct 2006 05:43:39 -0500, spamkill@charter.net wrote:

    >>>Oh I also found a procedure for gentoo but the recompiled the kernal
    >>>which I have not done.
    >>>http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/nforce-net-to-forcedeth.htm
    >>>The above is the gentoo reference.

    >>I have also now looked in dmesg but there is no reference to eth0
    >>there
    >>
    >>I also used lspci but am not sure if on board chips would show here
    >>since I saw nothing( I did see the sound which I believed is on board
    >>too)
    >>
    >>I did do a modprobe forcedeth which it happily took but no results
    >>changed.

    >Well just in case someone else has this problem I will continue here.
    >After sneaking around the side with a usb to LAN adaptor I have
    >updated the box and installed nvidia drivers for my video
    >card(turbo6200c). What makes this interesting is now lspci now show
    >the Ethernet. I still can not however activate it. It says cable
    >unplugged ?. This is a little progress however and I will take what I
    >can get.

    Interesting unable to find my dvd I downloaded a new set of isos blew
    them to CDs and tried again to reinstall. Everything worked no nic
    problem and audio now works. It found all things that it should have.
    I tried this again because of the other person(thank you) saying that
    lspci should show the nic even thru it was on the motherboard. I had
    tried reinstalling from the dvd before but this did not help. I found
    the dvd later and booted and had it check the dvd , it said it was
    fine. In retrospect I am glad this happened(my problem), I believed I
    learned more in a couple of weeks than I have learned in a long time
    just using linux.

+ Reply to Thread