simple Q again - Setup

This is a discussion on simple Q again - Setup ; Hi, I have a laptop with Intel wireless network adapter. I downloaded a driver from sourceforge, which is a .gtz file. I save the file on desktop and I use Mandriva with KDE. Now, how can I install that driver? ...

  1. simple Q again

    Hi, I have a laptop with Intel wireless network adapter. I downloaded a
    driver from sourceforge, which is a .gtz file. I save the file on
    desktop and I use Mandriva with KDE.
    Now, how can I install that driver?
    Thanks a lot.
    Swing

  2. Re: simple Q again

    Because I have a router with WEP password setup, I'll ask the question
    here as to how to set up the connection to my router, I know my SSID.
    And I also wonder how can I find wireless AP?
    thanks, swing

  3. Re: simple Q again

    On 18 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    <1161204117.161917.274930@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>, Swingingming wrote:

    >Hi, I have a laptop with Intel wireless network adapter. I downloaded a
    >driver from sourceforge, which is a .gtz file.

    I suspect that is a typo - should be a '.tgz' file, which is a tarball
    compressed with gzip.

    >I save the file on desktop and I use Mandriva with KDE.

    Find a command line, and run the command

    tar -ztf /path/to/name.of.tgz

    making the obvious corrections. Look at the file names it is reporting.
    Do they begin with a directory name

    [compton ~]$ tar -ztf downloads/arping-2.01.tgz | column
    arping-2.01/ arping-2.01/openbsd.h
    arping-2.01/Makefile arping-2.01/solaris.h
    arping-2.01/LICENSE arping-2.01/arping-2/
    arping-2.01/arping.8 arping-2.01/arping-2/install-sh
    arping-2.01/arping.c arping-2.01/arping-2/configure.in
    arping-2.01/README arping-2.01/arping-2/arping.c
    arping-2.01/arping.yodl arping-2.01/arping-scan-net.sh
    arping-2.01/freebsd.h
    [compton ~]$

    In this example, there is a directory name (arping-2.01/) and this means
    that the contents of the tarball will be placed in a directory named
    arping-2.01 in "this" directory. On the other hand, it might have an
    absolute pathname (/usr/src/arping-2.01/ for example) which means that
    the files will be placed somewhere else. Lastly, it may be lacking a
    directory name, and all you see is filenames, like this

    Makefile arping.yodl arping-2/install-sh
    LICENSE freebsd.h arping-2/configure.in
    arping.8 openbsd.h arping-2/arping.c
    arping.c solaris.h arping-scan-net.sh
    README arping-2/

    which means it will drop the files "right here" (which gets messy). In
    this latter case, make a directory (mkdir directory_name), and move the
    tarball into that directory (mv tarball.tgz directory_name), and change
    into that directory (cd directory_name).

    Execute the command 'tar -zxf tarball.tgz' (making the obvious correction)
    and then change to the directory where the "new" files are located. Run the
    command 'ls' to see what you have, and then start reading - paying attention
    to the files in all CAPITAL letters - like README.

    >Now, how can I install that driver?

    Unfortunately, that depends entirely on the instructions that are found
    in the tarball. Start with the README and see what it tells you to do.
    Make sure this source is meant for your distribution and release. Pay
    attention to the kernel version numbers (run 'uname -a' to see what you
    have now). You will probably also need the development packages, including
    the compiler and GNU 'make'. These are not installed by default, so you
    may need to install them before going further.

    You may find additional help in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    but I'd suggest you post from your ISP's news server RATHER THAN GOOGLE
    because some otherwise helpful people don't see posts from groups.google.com.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread