How to fix bootfiles installed with VMWare? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to fix bootfiles installed with VMWare? - Setup ; I wanted to try out FC6 Test3 yesterday, but couldn't find an empty DVD-R. Therefore, I installed it through VMWare and everything works fine. But, my problem is: I used my physical SATA harddrive, and viritual VMWare made it an ...

  1. How to fix bootfiles installed with VMWare?

    I wanted to try out FC6 Test3 yesterday, but couldn't find an empty
    DVD-R. Therefore, I installed it through VMWare and everything works
    fine.

    But, my problem is: I used my physical SATA harddrive, and viritual
    VMWare made it an IDE. So when I try to boot up from my computer, and
    not in VMWARE, everything goes to hell. "Kernel-panic" etc.

    I've tried to change the init-file in initrd, from "hda" to
    "sda", but still I know there are more things I have to change,
    if it is possible at all to do this.

    So are there anyone who knows if it's possible to edit the kernel,
    initrd or other bootfiles, so that I can boot up FC6 with the computer,
    or do I have to reinstall with a dvd?

  2. Re: How to fix bootfiles installed with VMWare?

    luser32 wrote:
    > I wanted to try out FC6 Test3 yesterday, but couldn't find an empty
    > DVD-R. Therefore, I installed it through VMWare and everything works
    > fine.
    >
    > But, my problem is: I used my physical SATA harddrive, and viritual
    > VMWare made it an IDE. So when I try to boot up from my computer, and
    > not in VMWARE, everything goes to hell. "Kernel-panic" etc.
    >
    > I've tried to change the init-file in initrd, from "hda" to
    > "sda", but still I know there are more things I have to change,
    > if it is possible at all to do this.
    >
    > So are there anyone who knows if it's possible to edit the kernel,
    > initrd or other bootfiles, so that I can boot up FC6 with the computer,
    > or do I have to reinstall with a dvd?

    Boot into your original distros rescue mode (if it has one, you don't
    say what your original distro is) from a CD, chroot to your original
    root, edit modprobe.conf to match your hardware, rebuild initrd. Any
    modules initrd needs for your hardware should be listed in modprobe.conf.

    FWIW, there is a FC6-pre available which has bug fixes that FC6-test3
    does not have. FC6-final should be released next week.

  3. Re: How to fix bootfiles installed with VMWare?

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > luser32 wrote:
    > > I wanted to try out FC6 Test3 yesterday, but couldn't find an empty
    > > DVD-R. Therefore, I installed it through VMWare and everything works
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > But, my problem is: I used my physical SATA harddrive, and viritual
    > > VMWare made it an IDE. So when I try to boot up from my computer, and
    > > not in VMWARE, everything goes to hell. "Kernel-panic" etc.
    > >
    > > I've tried to change the init-file in initrd, from "hda" to
    > > "sda", but still I know there are more things I have to change,
    > > if it is possible at all to do this.
    > >
    > > So are there anyone who knows if it's possible to edit the kernel,
    > > initrd or other bootfiles, so that I can boot up FC6 with the computer,
    > > or do I have to reinstall with a dvd?

    > Boot into your original distros rescue mode (if it has one, you don't
    > say what your original distro is) from a CD, chroot to your original
    > root, edit modprobe.conf to match your hardware, rebuild initrd. Any
    > modules initrd needs for your hardware should be listed in modprobe.conf.
    >
    > FWIW, there is a FC6-pre available which has bug fixes that FC6-test3
    > does not have. FC6-final should be released next week.

    That's what i found out t. Downloaded the rescue-cd, used chroot and
    reinstalled the kernel. And then it added scsi-hdd support

+ Reply to Thread