hi, simple question - Setup

This is a discussion on hi, simple question - Setup ; I am new to Linux. After installed the new Fedora, I could not get my network card activated, it says "forcedeth device eth0 does not seem to be present." So, I did some search on the web, and some suggested ...

  1. hi, simple question

    I am new to Linux. After installed the new Fedora, I could not get my
    network card activated, it says "forcedeth device eth0 does not seem to
    be present."
    So, I did some search on the web, and some suggested detecting the
    problem by commands like "ifconfig", "lspci", etc, but I could not run
    these commands in Konsole, it says "bash: . . . command not found."
    What am I missing here and how can I enable these commands and the
    network card?
    Thank you very much.
    ming

  2. Re: hi, simple question

    It could be that /sbin is not in your system path. Until or unless you
    put that directory in your path, you'll need to supply the absolute
    path to the executable. Try, for instance, /sbin/ifconfig to execute
    that command. If you haven't done so already, you might want to run
    updatedb, then use the "locate" command to find executables. There are
    other ways to do this, but I've always liked the speed of "locate,"
    and I think it's part of the base package in Fedora. The man pages
    will explain what these utilities can do for you. Once you've run
    updatedb, doing "locate ifconfig" will show every instance of ifconfig
    in mounted filesystems. This can help you become acquainted with file
    system organization - - again, it's very quick, but "updatedb" needs
    to be run periodically to keep the database current. Otherwise, the
    "find" and "which" commands are a big help. You may already know how
    to use "man"; doing "man which" should give you the idea.

    Have you run dmesg to see boot-time information related to the network
    card? Doing "cat /var/log/messages | more" might help you see what's
    going on, to.

    Regards,
    TL

    On 18 Oct 2006 01:16:17 -0700, "Swingingming"
    wrote:

    >I am new to Linux. After installed the new Fedora, I could not get my
    >network card activated, it says "forcedeth device eth0 does not seem to
    >be present."
    >So, I did some search on the web, and some suggested detecting the
    >problem by commands like "ifconfig", "lspci", etc, but I could not run
    >these commands in Konsole, it says "bash: . . . command not found."
    >What am I missing here and how can I enable these commands and the
    >network card?
    >Thank you very much.
    >ming

  3. Re: hi, simple question

    T. LIttle wrote:

    > It could be that /sbin is not in your system path. Until or unless you
    > put that directory in your path, you'll need to supply the absolute
    > path to the executable. Try, for instance, /sbin/ifconfig to execute

    He may need to be root to run the network commands

    --
    regards faeychild
    (Registered GNU/Linux user #374302)

  4. Re: hi, simple question

    Good point. I was assuming that, in the setup stage, he was probably
    operating as su. For a long time after I started learning Linux, I
    couldn't see a reason to be anything but root. ; )

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:54:03 +1000, faeychild
    wrote:

    >T. LIttle wrote:
    >

    >> It could be that /sbin is not in your system path. Until or unless you
    >> put that directory in your path, you'll need to supply the absolute
    >> path to the executable. Try, for instance, /sbin/ifconfig to execute

    >He may need to be root to run the network commands

+ Reply to Thread