FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0 - Setup

This is a discussion on FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0 - Setup ; Immediately after booting from the install CD it hangs on the message ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0 The system is a brand new Intel DG965WH mobo with Pentium D 3.0GHz and 2GB DDR2 667 memory. There's a ...

  1. FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    Immediately after booting from the install CD it hangs on the message

    ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    The system is a brand new Intel DG965WH mobo with Pentium D 3.0GHz
    and 2GB DDR2 667 memory. There's a kernel bugzilla entry that looks
    like it might be related, but it's occurring starting in 2.6.17 and later
    kernels.

    I tried booting with 'noprobe' 'noacpi' and 'acpi=no' all with the same
    results. I also tried disabling dual-cpu mode in the BIOS -- no
    difference.

    Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a workaround?

  2. Re: FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    In comp.os.linux.setup Jim Garrison :
    > Immediately after booting from the install CD it hangs on the message

    > ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    > The system is a brand new Intel DG965WH mobo with Pentium D 3.0GHz

    That is the reason I never buy the latest and greatest mobo.

    [..]

    > Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a workaround?

    From a short look this seems related:

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/7020

    Looks like someone got FC 5 installed, haven't read it
    completely.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 395: Redundant ACLs.

  3. Re: FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge... RESOLVED

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup Jim Garrison :
    >> Immediately after booting from the install CD it hangs on the message

    >> ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    >> The system is a brand new Intel DG965WH mobo with Pentium D 3.0GHz

    > That is the reason I never buy the latest and greatest mobo.
    >
    > [..]
    >
    >> Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a workaround?

    > From a short look this seems related:
    >
    > http://kerneltrap.org/node/7020
    >
    > Looks like someone got FC 5 installed, haven't read it
    > completely.

    I filed a tech support request with Intel and actually got
    help that worked. Here's what I had to do:

    1) Set SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS

    2) Boot the install disk with

    linux all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

    3) Build and install the most recent e1000 driver
    from Intel's website -- the one included in FC5
    apparently does not work with the ethernet chip
    on this motherboard.

    So far it looks like I have a stable system.

  4. Re: FC5 Install Hang: ACPI: Assume Root Bridge... RESOLVED

    In comp.os.linux.setup Jim Garrison :
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup Jim Garrison :
    >>> Immediately after booting from the install CD it hangs on the message

    >>> ACPI: Assume Root Bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

    >>> The system is a brand new Intel DG965WH mobo with Pentium D 3.0GHz

    [..]

    >> From a short look this seems related:

    >> http://kerneltrap.org/node/7020

    >> Looks like someone got FC 5 installed, haven't read it
    >> completely.

    > I filed a tech support request with Intel and actually got
    > help that worked. Here's what I had to do:

    Really? Iirc the same kernel parameter were mentioned in the URL
    I posted...

    > 1) Set SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS

    > 2) Boot the install disk with

    > linux all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

    [..]

    > So far it looks like I have a stable system.

    Glad to hear!

    #bofh excuse 357: I'd love to help you -- it's just that the
    Boss won't let me near the computer.

+ Reply to Thread