Busted Debian install? - Setup

This is a discussion on Busted Debian install? - Setup ; Hi all, First I am a linux fan. Second I have done a lot of installs with other distro's but have just started to install Debian on a lot more machines. So here's the story. I have a SuperMicro P6DBE ...

  1. Busted Debian install?

    Hi all,

    First I am a linux fan. Second I have done a lot of installs
    with other distro's but have just started to install Debian on
    a lot more machines. So here's the story.

    I have a SuperMicro P6DBE with two P2-400's and 512M
    of ram and a pci ati video card and one 8.6G ide hd. I
    downloaded the 2 set dvd install and put the first one in and
    booted the machine. Went through the "expert26" and
    picked desktop and several other options. When it finally
    finishes the install and reboots the last thing I see starting is
    gdm and the screen goes blank. That's it.
    doesn't work
    doesn't work
    doesn't work
    nothing works, only choice is to reboot and it does the same
    thing over and over.
    Debian verion is Sarge 3.1r0 i386. I understand there is a newer
    one out 3.1r3, wonder if it would do anything differently.
    I guess I could install without the desktop and add it later.
    But any other ideas?
    I want it to boot to command mode and go into a gui when I
    want to not when the computer want to.
    I have heard that if I can get to a grub prompt, I can make it
    boot to single user mode. If that's true what is the exact
    command I would need to type in at the grub prompt?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: Busted Debian install?

    In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :

    [ system doesn't boot successfully to graphical runlevel ]

    > I have heard that if I can get to a grub prompt, I can make it
    > boot to single user mode. If that's true what is the exact
    > command I would need to type in at the grub prompt?

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 69: knot in cables caused data stream to become
    twisted and kinked

  3. Re: Busted Debian install?

    "Michael Heiming"
    wrote in message news:ap7e04-a4l.ln1@news.heiming.de...

    > In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :
    >
    > [ system doesn't boot successfully to graphical runlevel ]
    >
    > > I have heard that if I can get to a grub prompt, I can make it
    > > boot to single user mode. If that's true what is the exact
    > > command I would need to type in at the grub prompt?

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    > Good luck

    If it did grub I have a chance but if it is lilo I am out of luck
    and have to do a reinstall.

    thanks,
    chalres.....

    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 69: knot in cables caused data stream to become
    > twisted and kinked

  4. Re: Busted Debian install?

    In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :
    > "Michael Heiming"
    > wrote in message news:ap7e04-a4l.ln1@news.heiming.de...
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :

    >> [ system doesn't boot successfully to graphical runlevel ]

    >> > I have heard that if I can get to a grub prompt, I can make it
    >> > boot to single user mode. If that's true what is the exact
    >> > command I would need to type in at the grub prompt?

    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    > If it did grub I have a chance but if it is lilo I am out of luck
    > and have to do a reinstall.

    Unsure what you are smoking? Firstly you said you would use grub
    so I pointed you to information howto go about it using grub.

    Secondly of course you can boot to another runlevel using 'lilo',
    no rocket science involved...

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 328: Fiber optics caused gas main leak

  5. Re: Busted Debian install?

    "Michael Heiming"
    wrote in message news:20pe04-9n1.ln1@news.heiming.de...

    > In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :
    > > "Michael Heiming"
    > > wrote in message news:ap7e04-a4l.ln1@news.heiming.de...
    > >> In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :

    > >> [ system doesn't boot successfully to graphical runlevel ]

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    > > If it did grub I have a chance but if it is lilo I am out of luck
    > > and have to do a reinstall.

    > Unsure what you are smoking? Firstly you said you would use grub
    > so I pointed you to information howto go about it using grub.
    >
    > Secondly of course you can boot to another runlevel using 'lilo',
    > no rocket science involved...
    >
    > Good luck

    If I remember correctly when grub boots it gives a prompt
    that says something to the effect of "if you want to get a
    grub command prompt hit escape" I remember seeing no
    such thing with lilo. I do not know/remember how to
    interupt a lilo boot routine in the middle. The computer
    in question is at another location so I can't interactively
    debug the problem.

    Your links were for a very old version of Red Hat and I
    am using a new version of Debian but I am assuming that
    the info/theory can still be applied.

    thanks....

    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 328: Fiber optics caused gas main leak

  6. Re: Busted Debian install?

    In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :
    > "Michael Heiming"
    > wrote in message news:20pe04-9n1.ln1@news.heiming.de...

    >> In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :

    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html

    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    >> > If it did grub I have a chance but if it is lilo I am out of luck
    >> > and have to do a reinstall.

    >> Unsure what you are smoking? Firstly you said you would use grub
    >> so I pointed you to information howto go about it using grub.

    >> Secondly of course you can boot to another runlevel using 'lilo',
    >> no rocket science involved...

    > If I remember correctly when grub boots it gives a prompt
    > that says something to the effect of "if you want to get a
    > grub command prompt hit escape" I remember seeing no
    > such thing with lilo. I do not know/remember how to

    Just that you see no such thing doesn't mean there is no such
    thing. From the fine manual:

    LILO.CONF(5) LILO.CONF(5)

    KERNEL OPTIONS
    If the booted image is a Linux kernel, then one may pass
    command line parameters to this kernel.

    [ list/explanation of kernel parameters ]

    > interupt a lilo boot routine in the middle. The computer

    Just type anything despite return if the lilo prompt occurs,
    there is no need to go to some edit modus, just type the kernel
    label you want to boot (press twice to see them all) and
    add the commandline options you want to hand over to the kernel
    image selected.

    > in question is at another location so I can't interactively
    > debug the problem.

    This is indeed a problem, if you are not running Linux you can't
    check out in a few seconds if your assumptions match with
    reality.

    > Your links were for a very old version of Red Hat and I
    > am using a new version of Debian but I am assuming that
    > the info/theory can still be applied.

    Indeed, or I wouldn't have pointed them out to you. RHEL 3 is
    still actively maintained and will be for a couple of years.

    Another thing I had tried out in your case, if remote login (ssh)
    works, which is pretty usual. X might get stuck and completely
    trash the keyboard, but the kernel is usually just fine and you
    can login remotely and clear up the mess.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 81: Please excuse me, I have to circuit an AC
    line through my head to get this database working.

  7. Re: Busted Debian install?

    "Michael Heiming"
    wrote in message news:h1ef04-4gg.ln1@news.heiming.de...
    > In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :
    > > "Michael Heiming"
    > > wrote in message news:20pe04-9n1.ln1@news.heiming.de...

    > >> In comp.os.linux.setup ***** charles :

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ble-after.html

    > >> Unsure what you are smoking? Firstly you said you would use grub
    > >> so I pointed you to information howto go about it using grub.

    > >> Secondly of course you can boot to another runlevel using 'lilo',
    > >> no rocket science involved...

    > > If I remember correctly when grub boots it gives a prompt
    > > that says something to the effect of "if you want to get a
    > > grub command prompt hit escape" I remember seeing no
    > > such thing with lilo. I do not know/remember how to

    > Just that you see no such thing doesn't mean there is no such
    > thing. From the fine manual:
    >
    > LILO.CONF(5) LILO.CONF(5)
    >
    > KERNEL OPTIONS
    > If the booted image is a Linux kernel, then one may pass
    > command line parameters to this kernel.
    >
    > [ list/explanation of kernel parameters ]
    >
    > > interupt a lilo boot routine in the middle. The computer

    > Just type anything despite return if the lilo prompt occurs,
    > there is no need to go to some edit modus, just type the kernel
    > label you want to boot (press twice to see them all) and
    > add the commandline options you want to hand over to the kernel
    > image selected.
    >
    > > in question is at another location so I can't interactively
    > > debug the problem.

    > This is indeed a problem, if you are not running Linux you can't
    > check out in a few seconds if your assumptions match with
    > reality.
    >
    > > Your links were for a very old version of Red Hat and I
    > > am using a new version of Debian but I am assuming that
    > > the info/theory can still be applied.

    > Indeed, or I wouldn't have pointed them out to you. RHEL 3 is
    > still actively maintained and will be for a couple of years.
    >
    > Another thing I had tried out in your case, if remote login (ssh)
    > works, which is pretty usual. X might get stuck and completely
    > trash the keyboard, but the kernel is usually just fine and you
    > can login remotely and clear up the mess.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 81: Please excuse me, I have to circuit an AC
    > line through my head to get this database working.

    Thanks for all the feedback. I don't have much console time
    with Debian but that will change. Ignorance is a terrible thing.
    But fortunately it goes away with time and experience.

    later.....

  8. Re: Busted Debian install?

    ***** charles :
    > "Michael Heiming"
    > wrote in message news:20pe04-9n1.ln1@news.heiming.de...
    >
    > If I remember correctly when grub boots it gives a prompt
    > that says something to the effect of "if you want to get a
    > grub command prompt hit escape" I remember seeing no
    > such thing with lilo. I do not know/remember how to
    > interupt a lilo boot routine in the middle. The computer

    I believe it's TAB.

    > in question is at another location so I can't interactively
    > debug the problem.

    .... In which case, neither solution helps you. Both grub and lilo are
    happening before the system is up, so there's no network.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html

+ Reply to Thread