New Install Needing Partition Help - Setup

This is a discussion on New Install Needing Partition Help - Setup ; 10162006 1752 GMT-6 I have a 40G drive that has a windows xp partition and then ubuntu linux. I have ran out of space on that drive. I was just given a 200G drive that I want to move to. ...

  1. New Install Needing Partition Help

    10162006 1752 GMT-6

    I have a 40G drive that has a windows xp partition and then ubuntu
    linux. I have ran out of space on that drive. I was just given a 200G
    drive that I want to move to.

    Im upgrading to 6.06LTS and I would like to plan this install out a
    little better. Before I just used the default partitioning but I would
    like to change that a bit.

    Even though I have used ubuntu going on two years now, Im still a total
    beginner.

    I have done many searches on this and I have come up with this setup.
    I know to put the /home drive on its own partition.
    Because I want to have room for another OS to experiment with, I'll
    need a /boot.
    I found this layout from a guy a few years ago:

    Partition Size Notes
    hda1, unused 10Gb In case I need some proprietary OS someday
    hda2, root 25Gb The OS
    hda3, swap 2Gb Big enough for hibernation
    hda5, data 39Gb Encrypted data
    hda6, mail 4 Gb Encrypted mail

    If I did this:
    boot ??
    root 10Gb - Ubuntu 6.06LTS
    swap 500mb
    home 40G -
    second 20G - Ubuntu Edgy - for experimentation - it would have its
    /home within this partition.

    There are several things I do not know from this point.
    First, how big does a boot partition need to be?
    Second, Im looking at the partition manager and doing this manually, Im
    not sure what I should be doing.

    I know that there has to be one primary partition but does that mean
    the rest are all on extended partitions?

    wade

  2. Re: New Install Needing Partition Help

    Wade,

    My /boot folder is only 3.7MB. I have used 48MB at times when
    putting it on its own partition. Personally I would not seperate them.
    The most important directories to put on it's own partition is /home
    and /usr. /home and /usr are good to have on their own partition for
    when you upgrade your distro you do not lose your /home files and /user
    programs. You really need to install that perprietary OS first on the
    first partition. If you leave it to install later you will only
    overwrite your bootloader when you finally install it. Personally I
    only seperate the /home directory. I can always rebuild programs. Oh
    yeah, about the primary partitions. In linux there is no limit to the
    number of primary partitions. Four primary partitions is the max for
    windows although I beg to differ. All of my partitions on my drive are
    primary. My system configuration is as follows:

    hda1 - 19GB - /media/windows
    hda2 - 1GB - SWAP
    hda3 - 60GB - /
    hdb1 - 160GB - /home
    sda1 - 270GB - /media/backup
    sda2 - 30GB - /media/win32backup

    If you want to you can mount your old harddrive after a fresh install
    and move everything in your old home directory into your new one. Use
    the one /home partition for any of your distros. When you create a
    user just setup the home directory as /home/edgy and the other as
    /home/slacky. Slackware 11 was just released as well. I give it a
    huge two thumbs up! I hope all of this helps.

    --
    Troy

    On Oct 16, 4:19 pm, "Wade" wrote:
    > 10162006 1752 GMT-6
    >
    > I have a 40G drive that has a windows xp partition and then ubuntu
    > linux. I have ran out of space on that drive. I was just given a 200G
    > drive that I want to move to.
    >
    > Im upgrading to 6.06LTS and I would like to plan this install out a
    > little better. Before I just used the default partitioning but I would
    > like to change that a bit.
    >
    > Even though I have used ubuntu going on two years now, Im still a total
    > beginner.
    >
    > I have done many searches on this and I have come up with this setup.
    > I know to put the /home drive on its own partition.
    > Because I want to have room for another OS to experiment with, I'll
    > need a /boot.
    > I found this layout from a guy a few years ago:
    >
    > Partition Size Notes
    > hda1, unused 10Gb In case I need some proprietary OS someday
    > hda2, root 25Gb The OS
    > hda3, swap 2Gb Big enough for hibernation
    > hda5, data 39Gb Encrypted data
    > hda6, mail 4 Gb Encrypted mail
    >
    > If I did this:
    > boot ??
    > root 10Gb - Ubuntu 6.06LTS
    > swap 500mb
    > home 40G -
    > second 20G - Ubuntu Edgy - for experimentation - it would have its
    > /home within this partition.
    >
    > There are several things I do not know from this point.
    > First, how big does a boot partition need to be?
    > Second, Im looking at the partition manager and doing this manually, Im
    > not sure what I should be doing.
    >
    > I know that there has to be one primary partition but does that mean
    > the rest are all on extended partitions?
    >
    > wade

  3. Re: New Install Needing Partition Help

    10182006 1556 GMT-6

    I am only working with Ubuntu version 6.06LTS and Edgy. Edgy was going
    into the second partition. I seperated home because I have over 4GB of
    email that I want to make sure is safe.

    This is what I ended up doing, though I was told I made a mistake.

    IDE1 master (hda) - 203.9 GB Maxtor
    #1 primary 98.7 MB B f ext3 /boot
    #2 primary 10.0 GB f ext3 /
    #5 logical 1.0 GB f swap swap
    #6 logical 40.0 GB f ext3 /home
    #7 logical 10.0 GB f ext3 /second

    What I need to know right now is, is what I have create here going to
    cause me problems later?

    wade

  4. Re: New Install Needing Partition Help

    On 18 Oct 2006 14:03:37 -0700, "Wade" wrote:

    >10182006 1556 GMT-6
    >
    >I am only working with Ubuntu version 6.06LTS and Edgy. Edgy was going
    >into the second partition. I seperated home because I have over 4GB of
    >email that I want to make sure is safe.
    >
    >This is what I ended up doing, though I was told I made a mistake.
    >
    >IDE1 master (hda) - 203.9 GB Maxtor
    >#1 primary 98.7 MB B f ext3 /boot
    >#2 primary 10.0 GB f ext3 /
    >#5 logical 1.0 GB f swap swap
    >#6 logical 40.0 GB f ext3 /home
    >#7 logical 10.0 GB f ext3 /second
    >
    >What I need to know right now is, is what I have create here going to
    >cause me problems later?

    -ENOCRYSTALBALL

    For what it's worth, I add special purpose user partitions like so:

    grant@sempro:~$ df
    /dev/hda1 4112444 2730892 1381552 67% /
    /dev/hda6 514028 59324 454704 12% /home
    /dev/sdb1 10281216 4266848 6014368 42% /home/grant/linux
    /dev/sda10 16449988 5615860 10834128 35% /home/grant/vmware
    /dev/hda7 514028 227356 286672 45% /usr/local
    /dev/hda8 514028 74212 439816 15% /opt/kbuild
    /dev/sdb9 5140572 547400 4593172 11% /opt/spare
    deltree:/home/common 8224960 874744 7350216 11% /home/common

    Notice the /home/grant/linux (kernel compile area) and vmware 'bolt-ons',
    I feel safer doing this way than allocating one huge /home for all users,
    allows me to add/remove special purpose partitions as needs arise.

    I list partition schemes used here at:

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  5. Re: New Install Needing Partition Help

    Im at that point where Im wanting more security on my system, like
    partitioning /home, but I do not fully understand partitioning. I have
    read and read over the past four days so I have pieced together
    something that I think is correct.

    I was told not to put the /root account on a primay and only /boot on a
    primary. I dont know if that is correct or not. But I did it the other
    way - now I wonder if I have to, or need to, change it.

  6. Re: New Install Needing Partition Help

    On 2006-10-18, Wade wrote:

    > Im at that point where Im wanting more security on my system, like
    > partitioning /home, but I do not fully understand partitioning. I have
    > read and read over the past four days so I have pieced together
    > something that I think is correct.
    >
    > I was told not to put the /root account on a primay and only /boot on a
    > primary. I dont know if that is correct or not. But I did it the other
    > way - now I wonder if I have to, or need to, change it.

    No. If it works, don't fix it. The suggestion to only have /boot on a
    primary partition is intended in the case of multi-boot systems, where
    you might have linux installed on the same machine with say, Windows,
    and switch between the operating systems. Since PC-type hardware only
    allows 4 primary partitions per physical device, and Microsoft operating
    systems like to be able to boot from primary partitions you could
    conceivably run out of primary partitions. Linux doesn't care -- like
    most non-Microsoft operating systems it can boot from primary or logical
    partitions.

    Now, if you're thinking about putting /home on its own partition (a
    good idea for a number of reasons), you will either have to repartition
    your existing drive or add a new drive. Don't repartition without having
    known, good backups of your current system. While there are
    non-destructive repartitioning utilities out there (both commercial and
    free), and they do work quite well, they *ALL* recommend having known
    good backups available because when something goes wrong while you're
    repartitioning chances are you will lose everything on the drive.

    If you don't have known, good, current backups, the safest way to put
    home on its own filesystem is to add a new drive, make a new partition
    for /home there, move your files onto it and update /etc/fstab to point
    to the new device.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread