Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE - Setup ; I am planning on getting started with Linux soon. What peaked my interest is I just went on a 3 week vacation to Germany and was shocked how much I saw of Linux there. Two people I met only use ...

  1. Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE

    I am planning on getting started with Linux soon. What peaked my
    interest is I just went on a 3 week vacation to Germany and was shocked
    how much I saw of Linux there. Two people I met only use Linux and
    another used Windows XP but only the Firefox browser. As well, at book
    stores I was shocked by how many magazines were related to Linux,
    mostly SUSE linux, and you didn't even see Mac magazines. When I
    talked to people in Germany though it seemed SUSE was by far the
    distribution of choice.
    Now that I'm back in the US I decided to check into it. I have both
    Windows and Mac desktops/laptops. I plan to put it on potentially all
    of the computers I have. At first it is more to try out Linux and see
    what it's all about but I have a feeling I may switch the Windows
    machines completely to Linux. I'm a complete newbie to Linux though
    and am not sure which distribution to go with. I'm undecided between
    SUSE and Ubunku. It just seemed everything was SUSE in Germany but now
    that I'm researching I'm reading all over about Ubunku. I know Ubunku
    is free and SUSE isn't so is that part of the reason? I don't mind
    paying the $60 or so and want to go with the best version.
    As well, what about the desktop. I have heard there are many but Gnome
    and KDE are the main ones. most of all, I have powerful computers so
    I'm not worried about needing something that has a lot of power. most
    of all, I want something that is similar to OS X (or Windows XP). What
    is important is something that is stable and easy to use since I use OS
    X more than Windows XP. Thanks for help with these questions.
    Also, I have read that Ubuntu is a Debian Linux. What exactly does
    that mean? Is SUSE Debian also and is Debian something I want?

  2. Re: Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE

    markw10@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am planning on getting started with Linux soon. What peaked my
    > interest is I just went on a 3 week vacation to Germany and was shocked
    > how much I saw of Linux there. Two people I met only use Linux and
    > another used Windows XP but only the Firefox browser. As well, at book
    > stores I was shocked by how many magazines were related to Linux,
    > mostly SUSE linux, and you didn't even see Mac magazines. When I
    > talked to people in Germany though it seemed SUSE was by far the
    > distribution of choice.

    SUSE is the big thing in Germany as its developers are German or at least
    development is centered in Germany. It is a nationalism thing. Assuming your
    German is good enough you still need access to comp.os.linux.setup.de and other
    ..de groups to get help. And getting help was my decider on which distribution.

    > Now that I'm back in the US I decided to check into it. I have both
    > Windows and Mac desktops/laptops. I plan to put it on potentially all
    > of the computers I have. At first it is more to try out Linux and see
    > what it's all about but I have a feeling I may switch the Windows
    > machines completely to Linux. I'm a complete newbie to Linux though
    > and am not sure which distribution to go with. I'm undecided between
    > SUSE and Ubunku. It just seemed everything was SUSE in Germany but now
    > that I'm researching I'm reading all over about Ubunku. I know Ubunku
    > is free and SUSE isn't so is that part of the reason? I don't mind
    > paying the $60 or so and want to go with the best version.

    The 'best' is an avoided topic in linux. Distributions are developed with
    different objectives. I have no idea what SUSE or ubantu try for.

    However when I jumped to linux I choose the most popular distribution on the
    grounds that would have the most people willing to help me get started. For that
    reason alone I picked Redhat back at 5.1 or some such. I got all the help I
    needed and have no regrets. I think it is still the most common distro in the US
    and it is free. You can't beat that combination.

    These days Redhat with the Fedora Core distribution has solved the updating
    problem with yum. They have a string of servers which contain updated
    distributions and running a single command updates everything new without having
    to get involved in the process. That is a very good thing which you cannot fully
    appreciate without trying to update packages without it.

    I have not heard anything of any other distribution that has gotten my interest
    to look into it further. To get my interest they would have to talk about a
    lower OS overhead or faster execution or something. All they seem to do is
    promote their modest differences.

    > As well, what about the desktop. I have heard there are many but Gnome
    > and KDE are the main ones.

    Depends on look and feel to you. Try them both. I prefer KDE from way back when
    and have no complaints. I have not had a gnome application that did not work in
    KDE. I may be missing decorations but not functionality. I came from Win98 and
    did try gnome and it behaved in ways I am certain were perfect but not to my
    liking. I switched to KDE and did not turn back.

    > most of all, I have powerful computers so
    > I'm not worried about needing something that has a lot of power. most
    > of all, I want something that is similar to OS X (or Windows XP). What
    > is important is something that is stable and easy to use since I use OS
    > X more than Windows XP. Thanks for help with these questions.

    So try both gnome and KDE and see what you like. I get the impression gnome is
    "out of the box" more like a Mac but I haven't used an Apple machine since the
    LISA.

    > Also, I have read that Ubuntu is a Debian Linux. What exactly does
    > that mean? Is SUSE Debian also and is Debian something I want?

    I have never read anything about Debian that has gotten my interest. It just
    seems to be different not inherently better or worse.

    --
    If we were fighting WWII VE day would have been in July 2006.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3702

  3. Re: Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:22:53 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > SUSE is the big thing in Germany as its developers are German or at
    > least development is centered in Germany. It is a nationalism thing.
    > Assuming your German is good enough you still need access to
    > comp.os.linux.setup.de and other .de groups to get help. And getting
    > help was my decider on which distribution.

    SUSE has been owned by Novell, a U.S. corporation, since Jan. 2004. It's
    development has been taken over by openSUSE.org. The default language of
    SUSE is U.S. English. The best usenet support is on alt.os.linux.suse
    which is an English speaking group. All the openSUSE mailing lists
    communicate in English. The various forums communicate in English.

    http://www.suseforums.net/
    http://opensuse.us/

    For more information, try;

    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    If one uses the enterprise versions of SUSE with paid support, it comes
    direct from Novell.

    Even before SUSE was purchased by Novell, the official web site, and the
    support database, were available in either German, or English.

    Speaking German is certainly not necessary for getting help for SUSE. It
    never has been, in the eight years I've been using it.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  4. Re: Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:27:02 -0700, markw10 wrote:

    > I am planning on getting started with Linux soon.

    Multi-posting the same message all over usenet is considered very bad
    form. This is the third group I've found this same post in. If you must
    seek answers in more than one group, cross post, with a follow up to one
    group. At least then the servers only have to store the message once, and
    any answers will all be in the same place, so everyone can see what else
    has been written.

    I left a response to this in alt.comp.os.linux. Others have responded in
    comp.os.linux.misc. Where else are we to find this same message?

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

  5. Re: Ubuntu vs. SUSE, Gnome vs. KDE

    I used SUSE 10.0 to move from XP since it set up my Belkin wifi card easily.
    The SUSE 10.1 upgrade I tried did not.

    I have tried the run from CD versions to see if the distribution works with
    my hardware. These can often be downloaded for free (Big Files though). Just
    save them to a CD/DVD as iso file. Sometimes these distributions are also on
    the CDs/DVDs inside various Linux magazines. Check out any good bookstore
    (Borders, etc).

    I also gave up buying retail linux CD/DVD sets from stores as they were very
    expensive.

    I have been getting my Linux stuff from http://www.pctech101.com

    Free shipping too.

    news:1160965622.553125.99320@i3g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com...